Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-17-2014, 03:42 PM

Default Fisheries Reg Consultation

Folks, not sure if your aware but consultations and proposals to change our fishing regulations are under way right now and can be found at

http://fisheries-regulation.mindmixer.com/

Our current regulations are set to expire on Oct 31 of 2015. There are a number of ideas being proposed and looked at regarding invasive species, bait, ice shacks, competitive events, catch limits ect. The Alberta government would like to hear our opinions regarding these and any others we may have. Now is the time to voice your opinion!!!

Also among the proposals include changing our licenses to a 3 tier class of licenses which might look something like this:

"The ‘Conservation Sportfishing Licence’ would only permit catch and release angling for game fish except at stocked trout ponds where you would be entitled to a 2 trout daily limit. The licence cost could be reduced."

"The ‘General Sportfishing Licence’ would offer similar privileges and conditions to your current sportfishing licence, at the same cost."

"The ‘Stewardship Sportfishing Licence’ would allow an angler to access additional opportunities to harvest specific species in specified waters (e.g. Aquatic Invasive Species, perch in stocked waters, Brook Trout in Bull Trout waters or Rainbow Trout in Cutthroat Trout recovery waters). This licence would have an additional cost. To be eligible for this licence you may be required to complete an angler education program. This training could be online and would include education on fish identification, catch and release protocols, fish biology etc."

Voice your opinion for improving our fisheries!!

Post your ideas to these or others you would like to see implemented.

Cheers,
Old 12-17-2014, 04:10 PM

Default C&R is wrong.

You've got it all backwards.

Catch and release should be paying more because they do more damage to fish. Just look at the number of people bragging about catching and release 80 walleye in a 0 limit lake. Some of those are gonna die, that's just how it is. People that are looking to eat the fish wouldn't even go to a 0 limit lake because it's a waste of time.

I go down to the bow, catch a trout in 30 minutes, go home and eat it. Guys floating down the bow catching, tearing pieces of the fish's face off and releasing 20, 30, 40 trout in a day aren't doing anything positive and they are having a greater negative impact than people like me.

It's a bad idea segregating the licenses because there's a stigma attached to each license.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfred View Post

Catch and release should be paying more because they do more damage to fish. Just look at the number of people bragging about catching and release 80 walleye in a 0 limit lake. Some of those are gonna die, that's just how it is. People that are looking to eat the fish wouldn't even go to a 0 limit lake because it's a waste of time.

I go down to the bow, catch a trout in 30 minutes, go home and eat it. Guys floating down the bow catching, tearing pieces of the fish's face off and releasing 20, 30, 40 trout in a day aren't doing anything positive and they are having a greater negative impact than people like me.

It's a bad idea segregating the licenses because there's a stigma attached to each license.

X2.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:

You have it all backwards. Catch and release is what this world is coming to. I agree there are people out there that have no idea how to release a fish properly, but to say catch and release is a waste of time is closed mind thinking. So because weekend Jim and his son want to bond by fishing, they have to drive x# of hours to find a lake that they can keep a walleye instead of driving 1/2 hour to a near by lake and catch fish? Education is needed, maybe you need to start the movement
Old 12-18-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:

Catch and release should be paying more because they do more damage to fish.

I think you may haven eaten too many fish from the bow my friend...regardless see the link i attached and let them know that thats how you feel before it becomes law in 2 years and everyone complains they never had a say.

FYI its the people that chuck crainkbaits with 2 or 3 treble hooks and have no concept of proper fish handling that do the damage you described. Not saying that catch and release doesnt damage the fish and cause mortality because there are studies that say they do.

i agree if they did go that route with licenses there could be some stigma the first few years.

Cheers,
Old 12-18-2014, 10:02 PM

I don't have any research to back up this theory, but I think catching a fish and letting it go, the fish has a greater chance of survival than catching it and eating it....

As far as the theory of anglers not going to lakes with a 0 harvest,...

Even lakes with an allowed harvest, many fish will be caught not of size, and have to be released, 20, 30,40, etc. (as posted before). This is catch and release is it not? The flaws in this theory are endless.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:

First trout that bites is always a keeper. In 30 min on the Bow. Then you go home. Repeat. Right....

Last edited by bloopbloob; 12-18-2014 at 10:12 PM.