Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-18-2014, 01:17 PM

Default Calling Lake Provincial Park in the Winter

Is a guy able to get to the boat launches in the provincial park in the winter ?
Old 12-18-2014, 01:46 PM

That access can get pretty full of snow blown in from the lake. I haven't been up yet this winter so it may be alright.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:40 PM

There isn't usually any issue getting to the boat launch - the road is usually plowed. However, there is often an ice ridge that forms right along shore and prevents access with a truck. Not a problem for a sled/quad.

If you are planning on driving on with a truck, accessing the east end of the lake through the town/cottages, is usually a better route.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:49 PM

Agree with Yeti. East side is always better by the tower but I wouldnt go yet. To me its not near enough ice on any lake. If you go by the tower its an easy walk out and just find where there is a rocky bottom. Maybe 150 yards from shore. Walleye are always around that area. Love that lake
Old 12-18-2014, 11:57 PM

Was a small ridge at edge of lake at provincial park, no biggie for sleds. The road was not plowed when I was there but I heard they plowed it up to the campground fee shack (weird if that is true). Large patches of floodwater and slush.

The access beyond the tower just in town had lots of flood water/slush but can sled over it. I broke through on sled but you can find hard areas.

North access seemed good but again some flood water. This was last weekend so it could be frozen by now.

I will update this weekend going to head up and fish Saturday.