Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-19-2014, 12:15 AM

Default Hummingbird 35 flasher

Just wondering what the 35 is like? I have a local shop that has it on for $269 on sale...might be older stock, but don't think they have changed much. Is that a smokin deal?
I have the new marcum wifi camera that I haven't tried yet and I use my lowrance HDS-5 from my boat that I got the icepack for so i'm thinking do I really need a flasher too?

Wondering your thoughts on this, as I have never used one? If I was going to buy one I was thinking of the LX-5, but for $269 thought it might be hard to beat.

Thanks, Ken
Old 12-19-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcward View Post
Just wondering what the 35 is like? I have a local shop that has it on for $269 on sale...might be older stock, but don't think they have changed much. Is that a smokin deal?
I have the new marcum wifi camera that I haven't tried yet and I use my lowrance HDS-5 from my boat that I got the icepack for so i'm thinking do I really need a flasher too?

Wondering your thoughts on this, as I have never used one? If I was going to buy one I was thinking of the LX-5, but for $269 thought it might be hard to beat.

Thanks, Ken
The 35 will work but 45 or55 are a better choice with the digital display and the depth display

Mack
Old 12-19-2014, 12:53 AM
Banned

Cool

Pssst, the hds5 has rts(flasher ) on the right hand sidr of the display. Real time sounder. Im not a lorance guy but if got into a settings /menu screen you may be able to Increase the rts band ...hope that helps.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:57 AM

I love my ice 45. Don't leave home with out it. Use it 5 times more than the camera.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:00 AM

269 is a great deal! If you only fish shallow water and by that I mean everything except Lakers, go for it. But if you want one that will do it all get the LX-5. You won't regret it. Much better reviews than the ice-55. Never leave home without mine.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:08 AM

In my opinion - you want a digital display flasher with a gps. I use the Humminbird 385 ice.

I turn it on as I'm heading to the spot, and follow the arrow until I get to where I want to set up, and can return to the exact drop off or structure without spending time drilling holes all over the place. If I find a new spot, I mark it and it's saved for next time.

Either a handheld GPS or one built into your flasher is a great feature.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:46 PM

No contest! I would continue using the HDS 5 unless you just want to spend some money. HDS has built in GPS plus is a much better fish finder. Will do anything the 35 does(but better) and then more.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:17 PM

If you are on a budget go with the ice 35. If you have more money to spend go with something that has gps. Saving spots and marking out structure is a huge benefit.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:44 PM

Default Hds-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
No contest! I would continue using the HDS 5 unless you just want to spend some money. HDS has built in GPS plus is a much better fish finder. Will do anything the 35 does(but better) and then more.
Thanks for the feedback, I have the Navionics chip as well. I love being able to go right to my waypoints or see the structure on the map. I also fish mostly up to 15 feet of water, so I'll save my money

I think sometimes we can spend more time fiddling with electronics when the bite is on!
Old 12-19-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcward View Post
Thanks for the feedback, I have the Navionics chip as well. I love being able to go right to my waypoints or see the structure on the map. I also fish mostly up to 15 feet of water, so I'll save my money

I think sometimes we can spend more time fiddling with electronics when the bite is on!
Yep thats me!(fiddling with electronics)

Old 12-19-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 780sjc View Post
269 is a great deal! If you only fish shallow water and by that I mean everything except Lakers, go for it. But if you want one that will do it all get the LX-5. You won't regret it. Much better reviews than the ice-55. Never leave home without mine.
The 55 has a far better 6 color display then the lx5 and a digital depth read out no guess work or having to do math used an lx5 for past two years changed to 55 this year
Mack
Old 12-20-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 780sjc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
The 55 has a far better 6 color display then the lx5 and a digital depth read out no guess work or having to do math used an lx5 for past two years changed to 55 this year
Mack
HDS 5 still a better choice than LX-5 or Ice 55.

Overall: advantage HDS 5

Old 12-20-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
HDS 5 still a better choice than LX-5 or Ice 55.

Overall: advantage HDS 5
Have not tried the HDS5 tried to use the HDI7 in flasher mode last year but could not seem to get it to work right so now it is mounted on my quad just for GPS and recording waypoints. Do you use the HDS on ice mode (flasher) or normal sonar?

Mack
Old 12-20-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Have not tried the HDS5 tried to use the HDI7 in flasher mode last year but could not seem to get it to work right so now it is mounted on my quad just for GPS and recording waypoints. Do you use the HDS on ice mode (flasher) or normal sonar?

Mack
I dont care for the flasher, I like the graph better. Dont have to have eyes on it all the time. Graph shows history, both fish and jigging cadence. I find it easier on the eyes too. Guess its because I am easily distracted(umm shiney lure). lol

Flashers are old technology(tried and true) but old.
Advantage of flashers is better on battery. Some have narrow beam transducer. But that is about it. Real time is no longer an issue with newer graphs(say last 10 years).
Marcum "Flagship" models are/have graphs in the LX7 and LX9.
Could be sales driven? Sell ice specific units(flashers).
More and more people going to graphs now. Prices are good and lots of graph units with GPS built in.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I dont care for the flasher, I like the graph better. Dont have to have eyes on it all the time. Graph shows history, both fish and jigging cadence. I find it easier on the eyes too. Guess its because I am easily distracted(umm shiney lure). lol

Flashers are old technology(tried and true) but old.
Advantage of flashers is better on battery. Some have narrow beam transducer. But that is about it. Real time is no longer an issue with newer graphs(say last 10 years).
Marcum "Flagship" models are/have graphs in the LX7 and LX9.
Could be sales driven? Sell ice specific units(flashers).
More and more people going to graphs now. Prices are good and lots of graph units with GPS built in.
Ok thanks will try 7 on graph see how it works fish mainly 60+ for lakers with flasher
Have cameras for perch
Mack