Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-12-2019, 08:30 AM

Default PAL for my son: where to go?

Would like to sign my son (age 12) up for his PAL this winter. I did the course somewhere in the SW at a designated facility but can't remember where. Can someone remind me who offers a PAL course?
Old 02-12-2019, 08:43 AM

There is a PAL course offered on feb 23 at the Calgary Rifle & Pistol club.1910 39 av ne 403 250-3167 give them a call...
Old 02-12-2019, 09:09 AM

thanks. I figured it out.I went to the AHEIA on Sylvester Street SW.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:16 AM
Banned

I have a buddy in High River that runs the courses. Smaller classes and lots of hands on. PM me if you want
Old 02-12-2019, 09:33 AM

My son ( 17 at the time ) and I both did our PAL, Hunter Ed, and RPAL courses through AHEIA .

They're on Sylvester Cres SW off of Elbow Dr

We thoroughly enjoyed the courses.

They don't charge a set fee for the courses , but rather , take donations .

So if you're on a budget, it can be a lot less expensive, But if you can afford to donate what you'd pay for the course somewhere else ...great .

I believe that they are a very good place to learn, and the best place for a young person.

One of the really cool things about this place , is that the teaching room ( very large ) is filled with animal mounts ... I believe the number is like 200 plus ... including full body mounts of Bears , Big Horn Sheep, and many others .

My wife just recently took both her PAL and RPAL courses at The Calgary Shooting Center ( where my son works ) , and although she said it was was very well done , I'm sure she didn't get as much overall learning as my son and I did at AHEIA .

( And just for the record , My son wasn't teaching the class )

So obviously I'm highly recommending AHEIA .
Old 02-12-2019, 09:48 AM

AHEIA has the only course for the PAL. different instructors charge different fees. under 18 can get minor carry permit with CFO approval. usually your family private property otherwise must be within immediate control.[arms reach] to hunt or shoot elsewhere.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher Gord View Post
AHEIA has the only course for the PAL. different instructors charge different fees. under 18 can get minor carry permit with CFO approval. usually your family private property otherwise must be within immediate control.[arms reach] to hunt or shoot elsewhere.
Ok , if this is the way it is now , then Its changed ( the PAL and RPAL courses ).

It was almost 8 yrs ago that we took it .
Old 02-12-2019, 10:34 AM
Banned

What do you mean they have the only course? It's the only one you recommend I am assuming?

With what RBI Oates, if you want to get your PAL for hunting, a place like AHEIA is great. I have a few friends who like guns but hate killing animals and don't Ike that type of environment. They eat meat, just don't need it pushed in their face I guess you could say.
That where Shooting center or places like that would come in.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:17 AM

Firearm Users Younger than 18
Individuals under 18 years of age are not permitted to bring firearms into Canada or to acquire firearms by any means, even as a gift, but they are allowed to use them under some circumstances.

Minor's Licence
A minor's licence permits the borrowing of non-restricted firearms for:

target practice;
organized shooting competitions;
hunting; and,
instruction in the use of firearms.
A minor's licence also permits the acquisition of ammunition, unless there is an age restriction under provincial or territorial law.

As a general rule, the following requirements must be met:

The applicant must be at least 12 years old. If they are younger than 12, they may obtain a minor's licence only if they are Canadian residents and their Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) determines they need to hunt or trap to sustain themselves or their family.
As per section 7 of the Firearms Act, individuals under 18 must complete the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and pass the tests in order to get a licence.
Individuals younger than 18 years of age are not eligible to hold a licence authorizing them to possess prohibited or restricted firearms.
Prior to a minor's licence being issued, a Firearms Officer may interview the applicant, their parent or guardian. They must first agree and consent to the conditions under which the minor may use firearms.

Conditions may be placed on the licence by the CFO. For example, supervision may be required when the minor uses a firearm.

The minor's licence will expire on the holder's 18th birthday or the expiry date shown on their licence, whichever comes first.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:19 AM

My boy is turning 12 soon, and will only be hunting with me, so doesn't seem much point in worrying about til they are hunting without a parent

-----------------------------------------------------

Using Firearms Without a Minor's Licence
Without a minor's licence, the minor may still use firearms of any class, providing they are under the direct and immediate supervision of someone who is licensed to possess that class of firearm. This generally means that the licensed person must be close enough to them to take immediate action to prevent any unsafe or illegal use of the firearm.

This provision affects cadets and members of other youth organizations who receive instruction in the use of firearms or who take part in target practice. It also applies to young people who go hunting or who use restricted or prohibited firearms in organized shooting competitions.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:12 PM

When my son turned 12 he did the Aheia camp at Alford lake. I highly recommend this. Having his minors license allowed him to shoot at the range without me being within arms reach.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:40 PM

All Alberta instructors are AHEIA certified,and the course is the only accepted course in Alberta,even if it is federally mandated. A lot of local F&G clubs put on the course out in the rural areas. Use the time from 12 to 17 to teach safe handling and good marksmanship, and consider it the best time with your child.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:26 AM

It's not the only course.

There are tons of places that offer the RPAL/pal course.

AHEIA is responsible for recommending new instructors to the CFO. This I know because I pursued becoming an instructor and discussed with the CFO and AHEIA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBI View Post
Ok , if this is the way it is now , then Its changed ( the PAL and RPAL courses ).

It was almost 8 yrs ago that we took it .
Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2019, 09:35 PM

Default Minor's license

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
My boy is turning 12 soon, and will only be hunting with me, so doesn't seem much point in worrying about til they are hunting without a parent

-----------------------------------------------------

Using Firearms Without a Minor's Licence
Without a minor's licence, the minor may still use firearms of any class, providing they are under the direct and immediate supervision of someone who is licensed to possess that class of firearm. This generally means that the licensed person must be close enough to them to take immediate action to prevent any unsafe or illegal use of the firearm.
The youth without a minor's license must be under the direct control of the adult. Hence, near enough to grab the barrel. We require the adult to be within arm's length of the barrel in all our coaching with firearms.

A minor's license allows greater distances. Rather than trying to give an authoritative answer, consider calling the the CFO or the AHEIA office in Calgary and talking to their firearm's guy. The law is pretty clear.

In my experience taking minors hunting, it's great advantage when the minor has their license. The child can stalk the critter alone and learn from their experience without the mentor in their ear.

There is a benefit to the child as well. If the minor is responsible, the pride of having a license and the seriousness of the privilege is a good character building tool. It's good for children to learn gradually and a license gives the parent/teacher more tools to teach the minor good firearm safety over their teen years.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Firearm Users Younger than 18
Individuals under 18 years of age are not permitted to bring firearms into Canada or to acquire firearms by any means, even as a gift, but they are allowed to use them under some circumstances.

Minor's Licence
A minor's licence permits the borrowing of non-restricted firearms for:

target practice;
organized shooting competitions;
hunting; and,
instruction in the use of firearms.
A minor's licence also permits the acquisition of ammunition, unless there is an age restriction under provincial or territorial law.

As a general rule, the following requirements must be met:

The applicant must be at least 12 years old. If they are younger than 12, they may obtain a minor's licence only if they are Canadian residents and their Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) determines they need to hunt or trap to sustain themselves or their family.
As per section 7 of the Firearms Act, individuals under 18 must complete the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and pass the tests in order to get a licence.
Individuals younger than 18 years of age are not eligible to hold a licence authorizing them to possess prohibited or restricted firearms.
Prior to a minor's licence being issued, a Firearms Officer may interview the applicant, their parent or guardian. They must first agree and consent to the conditions under which the minor may use firearms.

Conditions may be placed on the licence by the CFO. For example, supervision may be required when the minor uses a firearm.

The minor's licence will expire on the holder's 18th birthday or the expiry date shown on their licence, whichever comes first.
Thanks. My kids are growing up fast and youngest is really becoming hooked