Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-20-2015, 10:33 PM

Default Strike indicators

Hi all:

Just curious about your thoughts on different strike indicators. I have tried a few and still find that some make it tough to change tactics easily (nymph to fly or vice versa quickly). I would like to know if any of you have tried the following and how they worked for you.

New Zealand Strike indicator-
http://www.strikeindicator.com/default.asp

Or the screw on ones
http://www.theflystop.com/screw-on-s...icators-4-pack

Thanks for your opinions and ideas.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:06 PM

I like yarn, I use a slip knot so I can tie it on after I put on a fly, or remove it without taking the fly off. On faster waters I just use thingamabobbers, and on stillwaters I use phil rowley's quick release indicators.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 03-20-2015, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
I On faster waters I just use thingamabobbers, and on stillwaters I use phil rowley's quick release indicators.
2x
Old 03-21-2015, 05:03 AM

I use the NZ yarn indicators and like them real good.Especially on rivers like the Crowsnest.They can be a little fiddley when fingers are cold and wet but I seem to make them work.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:52 AM

Been using yarn for 20 years or more. A life time supply costs about $10 delivered from
http://www.macramesuperstore.com/8mm...hite_p_12.html
For a write up on using yarns see:
http://bamboorods.ca/indicators.html

Regards,

Don
Old 03-21-2015, 09:33 AM

I've used a few different types and always go back to the Phil Rowley's.
I don't like how the yarn types kink the leader and I find the thingamabobs don't cast as well in windy conditions.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:18 AM

I have tried many many indicators over the years and keep going back to Thill for river fishing and Phil Rowley's quick release indicators for still water. I know the Thill's kink the leader but I usually have it in the same spot each outing so it doesn't affect the casting or presentation much and I can run a huge range of weight to ensure the presentation is right. I am curious about the New Zealand indicator and might give it a try to compare. The Fish Pimp indicators always seem to fly off so I abandoned those years ago.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:24 PM

I have the Phil Rowley indicators and quite like them for still water. I have the typical bobber style with the "toothpick" as we have affectionately called it for rougher water. Fish pimp I would agree fly off more than they stay on. I quite like the look of the New Zealand strike indicator system, wondering if any fly shops in Calgary sell them that anyone knows of, wouldn't mind trying it out possibly. Thanks for all of your feedback thus far. Can't wait to hit the water soon!!
Old 03-21-2015, 01:41 PM

these things are pretty cool too, but I have no experience with them

http://www.deneki.com/2014/11/airloc...ke-indicators/

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 03-21-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flieguy View Post
these things are pretty cool too, but i have no experience with them

pretty cool ..anybody sell them in calgary..thanks
Old 03-21-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
these things are pretty cool too, but I have no experience with them

Those do look interesting. I'd like to try those.

I usually use thingamabobbers in streams and Phil Rowley quick release in still water.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:29 AM

I'd like to try those air-lock indicators too. Closest I can find that might carry them in Canada is The First Cast Fly Shop in Guelph, ON.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:41 AM

I use the thing-a-ma-bobbers and loop it through on the fly line above the leader and tippet.

Push loop through hole and wrap around ball.

I get a few snags from being so long but it works real well.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:32 AM

I have a really hard time keeping my thingamabobbers from slipping...those things drive me nuts!
Old 03-24-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzzzz View Post
I have a really hard time keeping my thingamabobbers from slipping...those things drive me nuts!
This is why I use it on the fly line and not the leader.

Pinch the fly line in half, slide the doubled up part threw the hole.

After threw, open it up to a circle and slip the bobber into the hole.

Now the, slid the whole bobber down to the the knot that ties the leader to the fly line. it will not slide down any further.

Also cut that useless plug thing off.

Only down side is the length of slack is limited to leader + tippet.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:30 PM

if you make your loop for your leader big enough (where it makes a loop-loop connection on your fly line), I loop the thingamabobber right in the loop near the fly line. Doesn't slip for me, and much easier to cast.

I would like to try the airlocks though.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:00 PM

What I do to keep my thingamabobber on is tie a 8 to 9 wrap nail knot on my leader them slip the thingamabobber on and tie another nail knot in front of it. The bobber will not slip and it's very easy to adjust depth, just slide the works up or down your leader.
cheers
Old 03-29-2015, 09:04 PM

The airlock system looks like it may be an improvement on the thingamabobs, I would like to give those a go.
For me it depends on water type and depth that helps me decide on which indicator I reach for. Whether it's running or still water, if it's over 9 feet deep I go with Phil's system because the release feature allows me to reel enough line in to make the landing of the fish more convenient.
For depths of say 5-9 feet I usually go thinga and to combat slippage I drop it through the loop twice and that has worked well. For shallow still water early/late season I prefer the pimps. I find them to have a low drag profile, facilitating precise casting into cat-tails/weed edges, and the smaller size creates less disturbance when hitting the surface in skinny water. I will also use them in shallow moving water nymphing applications, and light bite stillwater scenarios. I used to have the problem of them flying off all the time too, but the company has changed their rubber core material in the last year and a half or so, and it grips the line better. It also seemed like, as my casting improved the pimps didn't fly of as often. 0.02.
Cheers,
Ayr.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:50 AM

I like that New Zealand strike indicator rig, but it's pretty much the same as the ones I use already.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:36 PM

I have also tried numerous types of indicators but now only use these three depending on the situation.

I like and use the New Zealand Strike Indicators. I picked some of these up at Christmas. They are sensitive, adjustable and don't kink the leader. You can also customize the size of the indicator. Bass pro sells them, as does the Fishing Hole. I have used them on the bow to hold up smaller to medium sized nymphs and they work well. I haven't tested them with heavy nymph rigs.

I also like the Phil Rowley type slip indicators. They are my preferred indicator for still waters. They make landing fish on long leaders easier can be adjusted easily. I tend not to use them in rivers.

I no longer use thingamabobers anymore, at least not by themselves. I do however use them in a thingamamober rig. The rig prevents the indicator from slipping and kinking the line. This is my rig for supporting heavy nymphs for rivers at the moment.

http://www.redsflyfishing.com/Thinga...aleader-mp.htm

The problem with this is, if you want to change the size or color of the indicator, you need to change out the entire rig. That can be a pain at times.

I would also like to try the air-lock indicator. It looks like they solve some of the problems with the thingamabobers.

cheers
Old 03-31-2015, 09:27 AM

Default New Zealand Strike Indicator Tool Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksilverj76 View Post
Hi all:

Just curious about your thoughts on different strike indicators. I have tried a few and still find that some make it tough to change tactics easily (nymph to fly or vice versa quickly). I would like to know if any of you have tried the following and how they worked for you.

New Zealand Strike indicator-
http://www.strikeindicator.com/default.asp

Or the screw on ones
http://www.theflystop.com/screw-on-s...icators-4-pack

Thanks for your opinions and ideas.

Here is a pretty in depth review on the New Zealand Strike Indicator tool, looks like a pretty cool set up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAMqDUSkRcc
Old 03-31-2015, 03:54 PM

I don't use anything like you guys,
my normal rig is a small piece of sticky back foam, folded over the leader, or a piece of loon biostrike foam rolled over the leader, yellow normaly, red for low light.
any place I am nymphing, and can use a two fly rig, a foam hopper or cicadia, with a nymph 3-7 feet behind, depending on water depth.
Been fly fishing in new Zealand the past week, had sum, dam good days, but no real big trout, best about 6lbs rainbow.