Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-29-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
A couple weeks back, I traded a rifle with someone because they openly admitted that the gun, a lightweight 300wsm had recoil that was just flat out unpleasant for them. That conversation got me wondering how many guys have rifles sitting in the safe that gather dust because they just kick too much.

My guns never last very long, but the only gun I have had with recoil to the extent I found it unpleasant to shoo at the range was a Ruger M77 canoe paddle in 7 Rem Mag. I killed lots of game with that thing, but the recoil pad was a hockey puck, and the stock just didn't fit me at all. Hated it.

Let's list what we have, as you never know, maybe someone will read it and offer you a trade. More importantly, people who are recoil sensitive may read about your experience and save themselves from getting a rifle they do not enjoy.

Do you still have the Ruger M77 canoe paddle in 7mm rem mag? If so is it for sale?
Old 03-29-2015, 08:49 PM

I've had rifles that bothered me, but fit is huge, so is progressive experience. My .375 Ruger pushing 260 grain ABs at 2915 fps is a *****cat. Could shoot it all day, because it fits and the weight of the rifle suits the cartridge at 9.5 lbs.

I have a .450 Nitro Express in a No. 1 that weighs in at 7.5 lbs sans scope, little 1/2" recoil pad too. Loaded to full potential it gives a recoil just shy of 120 ft-lbs!!! That is uncomfortable even offhand, but even that isn't overly dramatic like a few posters have made a wimpy little .300 out to be. I've decided to run it at .458 Win Mag levels (500 grain TSX @ 2100 fps) and scope it to add some weight, it's quite tame like that offhand. Tough from the bench, but the big guys are not meant to be shot off the bench anyways.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
I had a 458 win mag for a while. I didn't keep it long, it was completely rude to stand behind. Good riddance to that thing. I hope the new owner can handle it better than me. He did have near 100 pounds on me.
What rifle/model was it? Had a Parker-Hale safari model and it recoiled but more of a push than a kick. Winchester factory 510gr bullets had more recoil then I could get with my reloads. This might sound dumb but I think a heavy shooter will absorb more recoil than fly-weight shooter. The fly-weight shooter will feel recoil but over a longer span.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:03 PM

My dad's Smith and Wesson 7mm Rem Mag - now mine. I shoot the same calibre in Browning X-Bolt Medallion, but the difference in recoil pads makes mine a powder puff in comparison.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
My dad's Smith and Wesson 7mm Rem Mag - now mine. I shoot the same calibre in Browning X-Bolt Medallion, but the difference in recoil pads makes mine a powder puff in comparison.
Fitting that was my 284th post!

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:17 PM

Default Recoil

My wife's browning micro hunter 7mm08 beats the hell out of me when I try to shoot it off the bench! It doesn't seem to bother her so it's obviously the fit!
Old 03-29-2015, 09:17 PM

worst stock design

- hogs back & browning safari

that said ... had a 375 ouch & ouch in rem Classic (7lbs maybe)
- decelerator pad would not tame it
- mag-na-porting still was not enough
- mercury piston and voila a mild mannered '06

a buddy bought it and uses it at his ranch on gophers .. he gets 3+ gophers hiding behind their mound and then he slides a 300 gr round nose into the mound base - pop goes their world

I have never shot one bought people who have say the rem alaskan in 375 ouch & ouch is just plain brutality
Old 03-29-2015, 09:24 PM

Ruger M77 with canoe paddle stock in 7mm RM ,was good for about 3 shots,switched it over to a Boyds Thumbhole and a Limbsaver, problem solved.I had a 300 Weatherby mag in a Rem 700 that shook my teeth loose,sold that one.I tried the recoil pad off my Rem 700 300 RUM and it helped but still was to much.My 300 RUM is a fairly light gun and I have no problems with it,it does have some boot to it as 2 of my buddies wanted to try it one day,scoped both of them.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:56 PM

Older Remington 700 BDL in believe it or not, 25-06... damn thing kicked and bounced all over the place. even had a magna-port on it to try and help it out and was still not a fun rifle to shoot.
Took it to Ron Smith and got him to re-chamber it to 280 Remington keeping the magna-port, first shot I had the whole both eye closed waiting to see what happens and Pufff.. no recoil. I can now shoot a box with no issues and maybe even shoot another box. before it was 3 shots and your done. RKS saved that rifle. now its my favourite rifle that I own.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:01 PM
Banned

The hardest hitter I've got is the KSG. Although the recoil is Only bad when shooting Winchester super X 3 inch slugs with the 1760 velocity. I knocked a crown clear off my molar one day! I love recoil but I've put the Super x away.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:03 PM

As much as I hate to admit it, CIL model 402 single shot .410 shotgun. The LOP is too short for me. 5 shots is about all I can take. The only reason I keep it round is because some of my friends want to take up upland hunting.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 03-29-2015, 11:06 PM

Not recoil, but I have a ross .303 that was my grandfathers and im afraid to shoot because of tales the bolt will fly back in my face.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:08 PM

I am trying to tame a Marlin 1895 in 45/70. Love it but she bites.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal coachman View Post
a pre 64 Winchester .270 Win was about the worst i have shot. Just drove up under my cheekbone. I have a .338 Win mag that has a stock that fits and is nowhere as bad as that .270
Same type of experience here. Remington pump, 30-06, worst thing I ever shot. That and a fellow goose hunters handloaded “magnum” ( I guess they were magnum!) shells! My proper fitting stocked 338 is a *****cat next to those two!
Old 03-30-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
What rifle/model was it? Had a Parker-Hale safari model and it recoiled but more of a push than a kick. Winchester factory 510gr bullets had more recoil then I could get with my reloads. This might sound dumb but I think a heavy shooter will absorb more recoil than fly-weight shooter. The fly-weight shooter will feel recoil but over a longer span.
It was a parker hale safari. I think a lot of the problem was that the stock had been stumped by an inch and was to short for me. Still, I had no use for such a beast of a rifle and the only reason I had it was because it was a serious trade up for me. After selling that rifle and reloading equipment I came out ahead by lots.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:18 AM

Anyone having "unpleasant recoil rifles" should try cast bullets. A 458 sporter launching 525 gr bullets at 1150 fps becomes a sweet shooting rifle. The accuracy potential of big bore cast bullets is unbelievable to shooters that have never tried them.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:32 AM

My worst was a ruger m77 with the canoe stock in 300 win mag, flat out punched ya. One rifle I did not like to shoot. I have a 338 wm in a ruger m77 wood stock, semi heavy barrel that is tolerable compared to the 300 wm beast!
Old 03-30-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing View Post
Do you still have the Ruger M77 canoe paddle in 7mm rem mag? If so is it for sale?
Sold it to a hutterite in manitoba. Probably sees double duty as a pry bar
Old 03-30-2015, 10:43 AM

The 450-400NE 3" in the Ruger #1 was kinda nasty with the Ruger pad on it.
It was a whole bunch nicer after putting on a Limbsaver. As I don't have any elephants or Cape buffalo to shoot at around here, I cast some 320 & 400gr bullets for it. The 320 at 2050 is like shooting my 338, very bearable even off the bench. So, it doesn't sit in the safe, it gets out.
I have shot some 308's and 30-06's and 300winmags that were nastier to shoot than the 338 was. The stock fit accounted for most of the nastiness.
That was a reason I got the Big 5 stock put on the 30R SXS, the hogsback Euro stocks do not work well for me.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:06 AM

Brother had a 3.5" Mossberg 12 gauge back in the day. Was horrible to shoot max loads, got beat up bad when sky busting. But damn would it fill the truck with birds.

I have a 7-08 Tikka T3 that for some reason is harsh to shoot, it doesn't bother me much but a few buddies complained when they shot it. Max load 140 TSX's.

My 338wm Tikka with max load 250 Barnes isn't the funnest to shoot at the range, had to move the scope forward.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
Not recoil, but I have a ross .303 that was my grandfathers and im afraid to shoot because of tales the bolt will fly back in my face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaSui_UqDX8

explains the problem thoroughly

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 03-30-2015, 08:05 PM

Yup. I inherited my dads ultralight 300win mag model 70. I swear I can hear my brain slap the inside of my skull when I shoot it.

Don't like it one dang bit. I'd love to hunt with it - it was dads favorite rifle - but I just can't handle it.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:13 PM
Banned

My dad had an old browning 7mm rem mag what I learned to hunt with the kick from that gun was brutal it missed many animals with it received a weatherby mark v 7mm rem mag and no kick and low and behold haven't missed since
Old 03-30-2015, 08:25 PM

Worst I have owned was a Tikka t3 battue lite in 300 win mag . It shot lovely groups but was brutal even with a limb saver so it went away . My 416 was more pleasant to shoot. I'm certain there are a lot of guys who have unruly rifles sitting in safes all over
Cheers Tony
Old 03-30-2015, 11:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
A couple weeks back, I traded a rifle with someone because they openly admitted that the gun, a lightweight 300wsm had recoil that was just flat out unpleasant for them. That conversation got me wondering how many guys have rifles sitting in the safe that gather dust because they just kick too much.

My guns never last very long, but the only gun I have had with recoil to the extent I found it unpleasant to shoo at the range was a Ruger M77 canoe paddle in 7 Rem Mag. I killed lots of game with that thing, but the recoil pad was a hockey puck, and the stock just didn't fit me at all. Hated it.

Let's list what we have, as you never know, maybe someone will read it and offer you a trade. More importantly, people who are recoil sensitive may read about your experience and save themselves from getting a rifle they do not enjoy.

Your post is good.

Unfortunately I am simple and challenged.

The only rifle and calibre that caused me problems was a 270 ???

I think it was just too fast and flat.

I sold it.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:38 AM

I've owned a 300 RUM, 458 Win Mag, 375 Ruger and a 338 in the Ruger canoe paddle. I still haven't met recoil I didn't like (in moderation)
Old 03-31-2015, 01:37 AM

Default recoil

I purchased a sako 7mm stw in a 75 hunter from farmers supply in Winnipeg 1999,could not keep my hat on head it pounded on me till I learned to love it and get over my fears of recoil , took a while and made every other rifle a joy to shoot ,338,300rum,and made my favorite the 7mm rm the most beautiful gun to shoot by get over a bad habit.what doesn't kill you will toughen you up .The pian is the gain and gain is enjoying to shot whatever you like with confidence and comfort.Not ever new pair of boots feels good on your feet at first ,but breck em in and u will fight if someone takes those boots that once hurt the liven hell out of your feet.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:25 AM

The worst recoiling gun for me is my 378 WM loaded with 270gr at 3150fps. It is the only rifle I saw stars with after shooting. Second is my TC Encore in 50 S&W. It has broken 1 scope and 2 sets of rings and made me bleed on more than 1 occasion. Third is my 460 WM without a muzzlebreak. I only shoot it standing and off of sticks anymore.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
worst stock design

- hogs back & browning safari
I have enjoyed 2 hogsback stocks (old CZ .375 'Deluxe' and a current CZ 9.3x62. I have also shot a number of other CZ's with that stock) and that design works well for me ITO recoil.

One of my worst was the older Sako A series Forester and Finnbear. I love the rifle but find that comb very hard on my cheek.

An old South African mentor of mine had owned a few Sako .375's (including a very 'lively' little 19" mannlicher with the front 1/3 stock removed - great carry gun!)and when working as an apprentice PH in Botswana in the 1970's he took a machete to the cheek piece of his Sako and 'whittled it away'; reoiled/sealed it. Guys in camp were incredulous that he would butcher his stock like that but he was very practical about hunting rifles and valued function and fit over aesthetics.

He said the rifle shot way better for him with open sights thereafter.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:59 AM

my TC Hawken. loaded with 490 grain conicals and 120gr of powder it wacks pretty good!