Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-20-2023, 10:55 PM

Default Highway 47 S of Edson or Little Smokey

My young son wants to catch a grayling this weekend. Is it too late in the year to fish the Embarass off 47, or should we head to Little Smokey west of Fox Creek?
Haven’t fished either of these rivers… so suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks for now
Old 09-21-2023, 08:38 AM

Default Little Smokey

We have a place in Cadomin and the fish have left our area. Embarrass is similar size so I would go little Smokey. Fished it 4 years ago early September with my boys and caught lots. Also, caught a flat tire on my truck. Backed into a parking spot in the dark and after realized it was an old fir pit with pallet remains everywhere.

Good luck
Tony
Old 09-21-2023, 08:47 AM

We fished the Embarrass last weekend. Some small trout but not a single grayling.
Old 09-22-2023, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
My young son wants to catch a grayling this weekend. Is it too late in the year to fish the Embarass off 47, or should we head to Little Smokey west of Fox Creek?
Haven’t fished either of these rivers… so suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks for now
Fished Embarass 2-3 weeks ago and caught ~40 Grayling. Parked the truck and walked the train tracks for a kilometre then entered the river where it got close to the tracks. South of Edson and hit Mitchell creek road for a little bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0901.jpg (22.0 KB, 174 views)
Old 09-22-2023, 08:21 AM

Default Nice Grayling!

Wow…that’s a nice grayling! Was led to think most of the fish in the Embarass are tiny. Fished the McLeod end of Sept last year and couldn’t find a grayling. Lots of RMW which were fun…thanks for the posts
Old 09-22-2023, 10:05 AM

The Freeman River NE of Whitecourt where it crosses Highway 32 fish around the bridge and you will catch small grayling. Got my daughter hooked on fly fishing at that very spot.

BW
Old 09-23-2023, 08:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
Wow…that’s a nice grayling! Was led to think most of the fish in the Embarass are tiny. Fished the McLeod end of Sept last year and couldn’t find a grayling. Lots of RMW which were fun…thanks for the posts

If you walk for 6 hrs and work the less fished areas you will find the bigger ones.

Sore legs are in order to find the sweet spots but well worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-23-2023, 01:40 PM

I was at the Little Smoky yesterday (2nd bridge) and it was very slow. There were a couple of guys who had been there a couple of days and they said they weren't catching much either. The water seemed a bit high.
Old 09-24-2023, 08:48 PM

In the past I liked fishing for grayling in the Berland river south of Fox Creek. Some big bull trout chased the grayling too. It can't have changed that much in 10 years.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-25-2023, 09:06 PM

Default Freeman River

Thank you to Bigwoodsman!
Fished Freeman River today with my son. He caught his first Arctic Grayling and many more. Fishing was good until wind started blowing and river became overrun with leaves. Overall, an excellent day.
Old 12-09-2023, 01:14 AM

I agree with red bullets. Some strong opportunities for fly fishing on that part of the Bertrand. I have fished the whole river from 40 to that point and the fish are fun to catch late in the year there. Wild hay for grayling 2 mile up or downstream from the polecat road is good. Grayling are outstanding and fun.