Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2016, 12:50 AM

Wife has a tucson, 2 years and 30 000km without any problems or defects. Not sure about the new ones but our 2015 has a 4 wheel lock button that locks power to all wheels under 40km/hr. At the time it was a only model of similar size with rear heated seats.
It gets great milage but at the cost of power.
I'd buy another one for its purpose.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:37 AM

2.5 years ago we were also looking at the Cherokee, Escape, and the CX-5. We found the Escape tiny up front (and we are short).

We ended up going with the AWD CX-5. No regrets. Its been a solid vehicle for the most part. We did have a battery issue recently that was swapped out, and the infotainment system is garbage but it was upgraded in the year after ours.

We’ve towed a utility trailer and motorcycle across the country, I take it hunting, and it carries a baby and dog. The skyactive technology is pretty neat and I get decent gas mileage in the city. IT also holds up to the Saskatchewan potholes, dirt roads, and unplowed streets.

Just my 2 cents. Take a look at it.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:01 AM

Jeep Grande Cherokee has set the standard for last 30 years that every other company is trying to measure up too. Our Grande is a 2001 and still going strong. The Cherokee is a cheaper front wheel drive knock off so not near the same quality but much cheaper to buy.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:04 AM
Banned

Fiat/Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep = garbage. I speak from 8 years experience. But hey good for those who've had the opposite experience.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Jeep Grande Cherokee has set the standard for last 30 years that every other company is trying to measure up too.

When I was in some of the harshest environments in in the world, I never saw one Jeep anywhere. That's weird, oh wait, no its not.

All I saw was these:

and these:

I owned a Chrysler product once. That was enough.

If you have had good luck with Chrysler vehicles, then that's great! Consider yourself lucky.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:24 AM

There was an article few months back on top 10 vehicles not to buy.Jeep was one of them. Chrysler's had issues with transmissions on number models for years.Ive had to replace 2. Subaru will be one I look at hard next year when we replace wifes Hyundai and Hyundai will also get a hard look. WE have had great results with our 12 yr old sonata and daughter has had a tucson for 7 years without a repair. Tucson or Sante Fe or Subaru
Old 12-16-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
There was an article few months back on top 10 vehicles not to buy.Jeep was one of them. Chrysler's had issues with transmissions on number models for years.Ive had to replace 2. Subaru will be one I look at hard next year when we replace wifes Hyundai and Hyundai will also get a hard look. WE have had great results with our 12 yr old sonata and daughter has had a tucson for 7 years without a repair. Tucson or Sante Fe or Subaru
Can't go wrong with a Subaru. If I didn't need a truck and needed a small SUV, I would be looking hard at Rav4, Forester,and maybe a CRV.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Yeah I'll need it where I'm getting sent for work. I'll be based around 7000' in the mountains by west yellowstone. :
IF you need a top notch 4 wheel drive system and not the "usually front wheel drive with a little AWD when you slip" systems you see in most small SUV's, then your only real choices are the Subaru (full time 4 wheel drive) and the Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk (not full time, but a good 4WD system, including a lock). On top of that, those two both have about 8" of ground clearance, which is the most in their class.

Added bonus for the Subaru Forester, insanely small turning radius. Handy.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Wife had 2009 Santa Fe. I have 2009 dodge ram 2500. Both approx 135k on them. The Santa Fe has had more issues than the truck (brakes, valve cover leak, cooked alternator, struts, fuel gauge malfunction).

Re Subaru, they look slick but warranty - is it only 3 years?
Old 12-16-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
Wife had 2009 Santa Fe. I have 2009 dodge ram 2500. Both approx 135k on them. The Santa Fe has had more issues than the truck (brakes, valve cover leak, cooked alternator, struts, fuel gauge malfunction).

Re Subaru, they look slick but warranty - is it only 3 years?
3 year, 60k, bumper to bumper
5 year, 100k, powertrain
If I remember correctly, wife has an Impreza.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:46 AM
Banned

For the $40,000 they want for that anemic "Cherokee" TrailHawk... I'd buy this;

*your wife will thank you later, and it feels like a car when driving.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomama View Post

When I was in some of the harshest environments in in the world, I never saw one Jeep anywhere. That's weird, oh wait, no its not.

All I saw was these:

and these:

I owned a Chrysler product once. That was enough.

If you have had good luck with Chrysler vehicles, then that's great! Consider yourself lucky.
There ya go. Toyota is all we use underground at our mine, and Ford Super-dooty on the surface.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot1 View Post
Fiat/Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep = garbage. I speak from 8 years experience. But hey good for those who've had the opposite experience.
Myself a Mechanic 30 years working on them , You have the right opinion , you learned a lesson , cost you a bundle tho
Old 12-16-2016, 12:52 PM

Thumbs down Fail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post

Jeep Grande Cherokee has set the standard for last 30 years that every other company is trying to measure up too. ...

Old 12-16-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I've spent the last 6 years in and around Yellowstone, including 3 years of law enforcement in the area, so I am quite familiar with the area. They plow 191, 20 & 287, its just the roads in town they leave somewhat snow covered. If the place required chains for 2-3 months a year I'd just ride a sled everywhere, which will happen but a nice newer vehicle for the better half and when we want better fuel mileage than the truck would be nice.
In that case, here's a few anecdotal points to consider, based on 2012 and newer models:
Toyota Rav4- fuel efficient until weighted down with stuff, reasonably comfortable for average size people, short wheel base is choppy on rough roads. (BIL drives a 2012, no major issues)
Toyota Tacoma- great trucks, but won't get as good mileage as a new F150 EcoBoost (friends & coworkers drive various versions)
Hyundai's SUV's- way better than they were, decent drive train, surprisingly comfortable for slightly larger than average driver, fuel efficient, but motor works hard in the mountains. (coworker drives a 2013 Santa Fe to save wear on the 1T diesel)
Jeeps- I drive 2; a daily (2012 GC Ltd 114K) and a getaway (2014 JKU Rubicon, heavily modified, 54K) Both have been great, no major issues except those caused by the "loose nut behind the wheel" There have been issues with FCA products, I watch and listen; a good portion of the problems are caused (and denied) by the "loose nut behind the wheel". I've watched people thrash a brand new rig to death, wonder why it broke, then complain loudly when it isn't covered under warranty. I've also seen legitimate claims denied by local dealers.
I haven't heard a lot about the newer Jeep Cherokees, but if I was looking at them for a new DD I would check out the Jeep owners forums for the latest gossip. It really is a Jeep thing.
Good Luck and congrats on the new job!

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 12-16-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
Myself a Mechanic 30 years working on them , You have the right opinion , you learned a lesson , cost you a bundle tho
I haven't been doing it nearly as long, but long enough to know I don't want any of the Chrysler/Jeep small suv's. Sure, some people have good luck with them, and they are cheap, but to me its too big of a gamble on quality. I get that you like the looks, but it won't look very good if it starts costing you a bundle. Reviews at 20-30 000 km are pretty near useless, almost any vehicle can do that without issue. Think about what happens when warranty is expired.

Listen to guys like elkdump who see this stuff day in and day out, they know what comes in for repairs and what doesn't.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:37 PM

Do you're self a favour, leave the Big Three alone, unless need diesel well then there isnt much option, as far as Family Vehicle
go Toyota, some models might be a hair More but reliability is Second to none, never mind 5-7 years down the road, now you can sell private with out getting hooped from dealer, keep money in youre pocket. Plus you're Wife gets treated differant than the big three, there just another Level, quality is Un matched, im not a salesman just took me 15 yrs of buying Badly Depriciated Junk to learn my Lesson, There will Never be any Big Three vehicles on our Property Ever Again. Honda is Very Good Also, Gas , Wash, Service. Dont Look Back .
Old 12-16-2016, 09:39 PM

And Yes Subaru very Awsome, that powertrain is Tied & Tested....
Old 12-16-2016, 11:10 PM

Daily drive a 92 Loyale or a 91 Justy. The wife has a 2015 Crosstrek with 70,000km on it with no problems so far. Buy a Subaru and don't look back. Maybe avoid the turbocharged EJ255/7 unless you like doing head gaskets. Although I got 260k km out of my old STi before they went.
Only got stuck once in the snow once in a Subaru and I blame that on the crappy all season tires that were on it at the time.

The Justy still hauls wood.

Fastest canoe on the road. This picture taken at the end of the Ingraham trail past Yellowknife on a week road trip from Edmonton.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:34 PM

Well I've owned this Cherokee for abou 7 months now. I've got justshy of 9000 miles and am still quite happy with the purchase. I get that it's still "new" but I've been pleasantly surprised so far. I never thought I'd say that about a Chrysler product. I've towed max load with it while Moving and averages 16.5mpg. Empty I'm getting 23.7 combined which is .7 mpg better then The window sticker said I should be getting. In the highway I get 30.4 mpg which is 3.4mpg better then the window sticker. I have recorded and calculated fuel mileage since new using my mile marker.com. Great website if you like tracking fuel mileage and getting cost estimates for the year. Just plug in your miles gallons and cost at each fill up and it calculates it all out for you, keeping a running total.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:48 PM
Banned

Thanks for the update. I'll be looking at a new SUV next year and the trail hawk seems to check all the boxes. FCA put me off big time with how they handled the uconnect security debacle recently but it sounds like they've learned their lesson. There's a link in this article where you can check your VIN to see if you need an update btw.

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/patch-...ing-technique/

I think if I can wait long enough I'll take my wife's Macan once her lease is up, I am VERY impressed with that thing. I'm not sure my Liberty will make it that long though.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:30 AM

We owned a Cherokee for a decade back when they were square boxes. Both the wife and I loved it, so last year when she needed a new ride we considered it (a trailhawk version actually). In the end came down to the Trailhawk and a Subaru Forrester turbo. Wife just felt claustrophobic in the trailhawk after being in the larger-feeling Subaru with big panoramic windows. Other than that would have had no problem getting back into a Cherokee again.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:49 AM

Our 2001 Grand Cherokee with just under 300K has now had 2 major repairs, a fuel pump and fan sensor. Boy I will never buy a lemon like that again when I get rid of it after 20 years of driving.