Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-24-2017, 04:14 PM

Default First Horse Trailer

Afternoon,

In the next 6 months my wife and I will be (most likely) purchasing our first horse trailer, will be either 2 or 3 horse trailer + tack storage.

A few questions on what I should be looking for, or specific brands/dealers to consider (willing to drive almost anywhere from Edmonton south):

open vs enclosed?

If we will be transporting 2 horses do you only want a 2 horse trailer or would you go with 3 horse trailer to be able to take additional gear/tack (beyond what goes in the tack storage area?

straight on vs slant?

Walk through?

Any and all advise is appreciated

Thanks
Old 07-24-2017, 04:38 PM

Default Trailer

We have been using a 3 Horse angle haul with a walk in tack room for many years. Found it to be a huge improvement from the straight haul 2 horse. Mostly only take 2 horses but nice to have the option for 3 or the extra space for hay etc. Ours is enclosed with slide out windows and roof vents.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:43 PM

I'd recommend a three horse. It's nice to have the extra room and if the occasion that someone else comes along you can handle an extra horse.

If I had to do it all over again I'd buy a stock trailer vs an angle horse trailer.

Aluminum vs steel is a better option in my mind.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 07-24-2017, 04:48 PM
Banned

Torsion axles rather than spring
Old 07-24-2017, 05:25 PM

I prefer one large door vs. 2 door models. Much easier getting tough horses in.

Sounds like a 3 horse angle would fit the bill, and of course, if possible, go aluminum.

Last edited by MountainTi; 07-24-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:29 PM

I bought a two horse slant three years ago that has been great. We had a 1/2 ton at the time. I wish we would have bought a three horse since we use it for hay hauling and we are now looking at a third horse. We bought a maverick trailer from a dealer in Nanton I believe? It's been a few years. We have issues with rust already but we try to stay on top of it.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:59 PM

What is your intended main use for trailer. R u camping with horses, hauling to rodeos or trail rides, or just occasional haul to vet, if your camping look at living quarter or weekender trailers R u intending to haul anything other than horses, ie cattle, exotic animals, lumber, bales, quads, motorcycles or whatever. look at your future needs, then decide. just remember a trailer is always bought too small it seems. As others have suggested, torsion axle, or straight, the slant load is nice but not for hauling bales etc, Bumper tow vs fifth wheel is another consideration, and I would think about the type and distance you will tow, and with what type of towing vehicle. Some trailers have removable dividers, and tack rooms. Look at all your anticipated future needs, and decide. There is no perfect trailer................ just like trucks

Its what suits your needs that counts.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:51 PM

What about a stock combo goose neck? We just bought one in aluminium. Has enclosed tack room upfront and we put a mattress on the goose for sleeping. Can haul quad or whatever when no ponies inside. One of our horses does not do well with angle haul.

Get what you pay for as usual. Do research and look around....a lot. We went to SK and saved 10g on new.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmc View Post
What about a stock combo goose neck? We just bought one in aluminium. Has enclosed tack room upfront and we put a mattress on the goose for sleeping. Can haul quad or whatever when no ponies inside. One of our horses does not do well with angle haul.

Get what you pay for as usual. Do research and look around....a lot. We went to SK and saved 10g on new.
What brand did you get and which dealer. I'm shopping for a new one for next spring. I'm looking for a 20 ft stock compartment plus tack room. I've been looking at Wilson and Duralite or 4 star.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:09 AM

Go big and don't fuss over fancy saddle racks. The more horse room the better. I throw my saddles and gear all over the place. That stuff does not need a special rack that takes up space. I have a tack room in the front and I wish it wasn't there. Just throw gear in the goose. I have a steel unit and I wish I went Al as they don't rot. The dollar is up to 80cents despite our gov'ts idea that we should suffer a low dollar. Perhaps a trip to the states is order. Maybe I should go.😀
Old 07-26-2017, 07:55 PM

Thanks everyone - I sincerely appreciate the comments and have given me a lot to consider

Cheers,
Old 07-27-2017, 12:58 PM

What are you using it for, what are you pulling it with, and what is your budget?

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-27-2017, 01:40 PM

if you are buying new look at Titan trailers.
They are steel trailers, but built better than most.
I like steel as they last for years and don't crack out like aluminum.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:29 PM

Hi,

My plan is to look for a 3 horse bumper pull trailer - ideally aluminum. I will be pulling it with a 1/2 ton - 6.2l, can take 10,000lbs maybe a little more.

I see the benefit of a goose neck but use my box enough that I do not want to loose the space or deal with a hitch in the bed. I looked at the models with built in sleeping facilities- looks awesome but out of my budget and probably exceeds my actual needs for the amount the sleeping area would be used.

Ideally I want to buy used, covered trailer, aluminum, in respectable condition for under $10k. Am I being realistic?

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2017, 02:37 PM

Forgot to mention - this will be used for day trips (just get the horses from house to little elbow as an example) and a few longer trips per year - would love to get into ya ha tida etc. I am heading into willmore this fall for the first time and hopefully can make it an annual trip.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2017, 08:11 PM

I would look for a stock trailer and build a removable panel to partition off the front portion of the trailer. I think 4 Star aluminum trailers are the best but it's unlikely you'll find one of them for $10 000. There are some good deals around on 3 horse gooseneck trailers with rear tacks and front change rooms. As mentioned earlier, some horses don't like to load in them but once loaded, the partitions keep your horses from kicking and stepping on each other, and on long hauls your horses are leaning on the partition instead of each other. The storage capabilities of the front change room will be equal to or greater than what you give up in the truck box and it's covered and lockable.

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-27-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany View Post
Forgot to mention - this will be used for day trips (just get the horses from house to little elbow as an example) and a few longer trips per year - would love to get into ya ha tida etc. I am heading into willmore this fall for the first time and hopefully can make it an annual trip.

Thanks
Consider a mini stock, about the most practical option.

Grizz