Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-13-2012, 08:54 PM

Default moose kill

We found a very fresh moose kill on the trap line today, We saw 1 wolf on the trail at about 300 yds on the way in. The kill is just off the side of the trail in the bush, where would be the best area to set snares? How often will a pack re visit a fresh kill site?
Old 01-13-2012, 11:22 PM

I find setting snares further back from the kill site is more effective around the eighty to hundred yard mark. They are less wary then set alot of snares wolves will stay in a area until most is cleaned up then should be back within a couple weeks.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:08 AM

It was a very fresh kill. Only the stomach was opened up and not much of that gone. I could have cut some nice meat off it still. It body was still warm. I am going back tomorrow morning. I kind of surrounded all openings to the moose with snares. All within 20 ft of kill. On Sunday I will put some further out on new trails
Old 01-14-2012, 09:24 AM

progiude66 has some great clips on youtube. helped me out a lot. he talks about returning to the bait/kill after the wolves have been using it and setting on there trails, not to close. they also seem to approach from "higher" ground. if there is any.
good luck
Old 01-14-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinfool View Post
I find setting snares further back from the kill site is more effective around the eighty to hundred yard mark. They are less wary then set alot of snares wolves will stay in a area until most is cleaned up then should be back within a couple weeks.
x2, yup
Old 01-14-2012, 01:21 PM

Set too close to the kill and the magpies and ravens will knock down your snares.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinfool View Post
That is what I would have said. Right on the mark.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Tomorrow I will check it out. It is snowin now so some nice fresh tracks should be visible. I will set some further away and see how it goes
Old 01-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Tomorrow I will check it out. It is snowin now so some nice fresh tracks should be visible. I will set some further away and see how it goes
Oh man! It's snowing. Too bad your weren't already set up.

Getting snow right after setting your snares is the best case scenario. It covers your sign and deadens any scent you may leave.

Yeah tracking is easier after the snow, and so too for the wolves.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:21 PM

Trouble with a bait like this...I wouldn't expect it to last long after the wolves get after it !!
Old 01-14-2012, 06:36 PM

I set up 5 snares covering all entries to the moose carcass. Will see tomorrow what happens. I did set them close so at least tomorrow I should learn a thing or 2
Old 01-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
I set up 5 snares covering all entries to the moose carcass. Will see tomorrow what happens. I did set them close so at least tomorrow I should learn a thing or 2
Best of luck to you ! I hope you get at least a couple of them.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:44 PM

Yup, good luck and take pics !!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:33 AM

Did a line check yesterday. Saw 4 new trails heading to the Jill but nothing touched the moose. Snared the new trails about 50 yds back and left one opening to the kill. Next check in a few days. There was also a fresh deer kill on the river but not much left of that
Old 01-16-2012, 09:13 PM

Was in a wolf trapping course on Saturday put on my Gord klassen. He had a ton of great tips about a situation like this. He said that he wouldn't hesitate to put up a few dozen snares in a situation like this. He told us that if you are going through the trouble of trapping one, try and trap the whole pack.

I am not trying to sound like I know anything about, as I am still green to trapping. I am just regurgitating what I learned on Saturday.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:44 PM

Default Setting snares

I see coyote tracks as they get close to the bait and length of the stride is 6-8 inches. 200 yds. out from the bait the length of the stride is 12-14 inches. This shows that close to the bait they are super cautious while farther out their mind is on the bait and their belly is making them trot there fore they are much easier to catch. Also the animal is no different than than us, as I am leaving the bush coming onto a lake or field the last 20 ft. I am scanning in the distance to see out far and paying less attention to where I am stepping, so it is easier to catch them leaving the thick stuff. As I enter the bush my focus is immediately in front of me there fore harder to catch. But while in the thick stuff all the time you tend to disregard small twigs and then it easier to not see a snare. I find setting bait and snares in the muskeg the most productive.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:05 AM

I didn't move the bait as it was a natural kill. They have been back around the site. 3 more **** spots. See what happens on my next check. So far I have 9 snares out may drop in a few more next time. Temp is -35 up here right now so they need to eat so hopefully they will get a little more bold with the kill
Old 01-25-2012, 05:36 PM

Wolves were back at the kill site. On my check today I noticed half of the ass end eaten and 2 of my snares knocked down. So
I reset. Put in an extra on on the most prominent entrance and sprayed the area with pine coverup scent. See what happens?
Old 02-08-2012, 09:04 PM

I'm on the edge of my chair waiting f/ results, good or bad. Some of us who cant be out their need this kind of thing to get us through. tks.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Banned

I guess if I had been waiting for a reply, for the last 2 weeks, I'd prob. be sitting on the edge of the chair too.... wanting to go for a bathroom break.......
Old 02-10-2012, 07:15 PM

Yeah what happened? Get any from that pack?
Old 02-10-2012, 07:48 PM

sorry fellas, will let you know in a few days, I,m in mexico and havent heard from my sr partner. I will be checking myself on valentines day. Hope i got something!!
Old 02-29-2012, 01:30 PM

What was the final result ,Valentines was two weeks ago
nice story but what's the ending
Old 02-29-2012, 04:32 PM

No luck yet but not over either. Wolves haven't been back in 2 weeks