Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-09-2012, 01:47 PM

Default Which Tundra?

I am looking at getting a snowmobile for next trapping season and was thinking of a Tundra. Just wondering which model might be the best. I really like what I have read about the 300 but they seem hard to find. What about the 550 or the 600ace?

Thanks for the input.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:40 PM

Talke a close look at the 600 ACE. Rode one this week and own two of the 550's Fuel economy is dramatic and the four stroke is super quiet.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Banned

What is the difference in weight between the four stroke and two stroke? I'm looking at two new machines for next year but I am keeping my 1999 Skandic for backup. I am intrigued by going four stroke. Any other observations in favour of them?
Old 03-11-2012, 01:54 AM

Default swt

I purchased the Skandic SWT (24" wide track) with the 800 four stroke 2 years ago. Fantastic fuel mileage and just no end to the power and will pull tremendous loads. Also is great in deep snow and slush but carry a winch
as if you ever get it stuck they weigh over 700 pounds Wouldalso consider that these big heavy machines do not work well in tight quarters and also the 4 strokes do not start well when it is minus 40. Also if you kill the battery you are done as most have no pull cord and even if they did you would never pull it. Also regarding a winch and I do carry one but what works extremely well and is lighter and very universal for other tasks also is the "Masdam rope pull" also known as "Masdam rope winch"
I bought the one with 100'of rope for less than $200.00. I believe thay are rated up 1700 pounds pull. Also great to carry a snatch block and 50-100'
of extra cable. You can google up this and if you cannot find it I know who is
the main importer in Ontario and they will ship it to you. The Masdam is made in the States. (Illinois) They are fantastic!!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:38 AM
Banned

Thanks very much. The dealer I go to is going to let me pick one out to try for a day. Sales were horrible this Winter and I think it may be a good opportunity to buy now and hold over the Summer/Fall. He also won't start the warranty until next Winter.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:07 PM

The 600 ACA I drove was about the same weight as my 550 Fan tundra. I find that weight manageable. I've never used a winch but a come-along has been my friend many times.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:08 PM

Default 600 ace

I bought the 600 ACE 4 stroke and all i can say is i love the machine it is the best money i have spent on a machine without a doubt. The fuel mileage is good and pulls awsome. I did have a weld break on me but it was warrenty covered no questions asked and they did more than what they needed to. i am a happy customer so far!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remington17 View Post
I am looking at getting a snowmobile for next trapping season and was thinking of a Tundra. Just wondering which model might be the best. I really like what I have read about the 300 but they seem hard to find. What about the 550 or the 600ace?

Thanks for the input.
If you are interested in a 300, hubby has one he would sell. I would have to find out what to ask as a selling price...

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!