Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 10:57 AM

So what would prevent one from removing the trigger adjustment screw, drilling the hole a little larger, threading and putting in a larger diameter set screw, this would remove the collar that holds the original spring in and allow it to be adjusted farther out, you would still be using the proper spring for the hole diameter. You can buy a new set screw for pennies. I don't see why this wouldn't also work on Model 70's with the MOA trigger as it has the same captured by a collar spring. Same guy must have designed both of these goofy triggers.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:10 PM

Sounds like it should work
Old 01-18-2018, 02:43 PM

The X-bolt trigger springs arrived 8 days from when the order was placed with MCarbo. No issues with customs at all.

Install took 20 minutes start to finish on the first one. The original trigger spring is a bit tricky to fish out but i had it figured out by the second rifle and it was quick and straight forward. I found the trigger with the MCarbo spring to be as crisp as original. With the set screw I could adjust trigger pull from 2 pounds 8 ounces up to 3 pounds with no issue. There is probably more adjustment there then that but those were the test pulls on the gauge that I took. I ended up setting 3 X-bolts all at around 2 pounds 12-13 ounces. I may go a touch lighter but I had a couple A-bolts that were set up with the Timney trigger Springs a 3 pounds and I was happy with them.

So, while $13 US plus another $13 US for shipping sounds like a lot for one small spring it took my Browning X-bolts from having a heavy 4 pound trigger pull with the set screws completely out to over a pound lighter with some additional adjustment if wanted.

I can’t imagine better results for less so I’m completely satisfied.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:52 PM

Talking

Excellent.i was wondering if you got your springs in.i guess if a person wanted to go below 2 lbs one could always cut half a coil off the new spring.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumrare View Post
Excellent.i was wondering if you got your springs in.i guess if a person wanted to go below 2 lbs one could always cut half a coil off the new spring.
It would be easy to do now that you just have to take the set screw out, remove the spring and trim it then re-install. You might get it close enough with just backing out the set screw a bit. I’m happy getting it to where it is.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:31 PM

Well, I decided to take my .243 and 270WSM X-bolts out for a quick shoot this morning to see how I like them with the new springs.. Wow, what a difference!

I dropped both of them down to an averaged 2 pounds 8 ounces trigger pull by just adjusting the trigger spring set screw. They are beautiful! A dab of red fingernail polish to lock them on top of the low strength Loctite and I shouldn’t have to touch them again.

At this point I can’t see any negatives to replacing the original trigger springs with the ones from MCarbo. I’m sure a gunsmith could work their magic and get the trigger pull down too but it wouldn’t be for the same price and for me in Fort Mac with no gunsmith in town it would have cost a lot more once shipping was involved.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:05 AM

It's amazing what a difference a pound less trigger pull makes.maybe you should call that nice guy at Browning in Quebec and point him towards some mcarbo springs! Be alot better than what they're selling out of the factory.having said that it really like the Xbolts just not their triggers...
Old 08-26-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
The ones that are designed to not come out have a very small slot in the that looks like it was made for a slot-head screwdriver.

This statement is incorrect.. I removed the Hammer and the Sear and they both were slotted. just a few drops of oil on the pins and then drove them out.. It was a bit of work but it all came out with no damage and went back together.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanleeis View Post
This statement is incorrect.. I removed the Hammer and the Sear and they both were slotted. just a few drops of oil on the pins and then drove them out.. It was a bit of work but it all came out with no damage and went back together.

Well, I don’t know what to tell you buddy, but I have no reason to believe anything I was told or stated was incorrect. I would have damaged the trigger assembly in one of my X-bolts if I had used any more force trying to remove the pins, and no amount of monkey pi$$ would have magically made them come apart.

So, what did you do? Cut a link out of the original spring, put it back together and then see where you were at? You could get lucky the first time but more than likely it would be trial and error with the trigger assembly coming apart a few times before the set pressure was anywhere near 2 pounds.

Although I’m still sceptical, good for you. For $20 the replacement M-CARBO trigger spring is still the way to go IMHO. Easy peasy with no chance of any damage to the trigger assembly.

Oh, and welcome to the site...
Old 08-27-2018, 07:51 PM
Banned

The xbolt I sold to a member here had an adjustable trigger on it. I never adjusted it because I was fine with where it was. I wonder if this trigger can be purchased or wether it was gun specific. My xbolt was the stainless stalker, fluted.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:53 AM

Default Mcarbo xbolt trigger spring kit

Does anybody know where in Canada I can get an Mcarbo Xbolt trigger spring kit? Mcarbo will not ship to Canada, I tried online and wouldn't work so I called them and no go.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:20 PM
Banned

My stainless stalker came with an adjustable trigger from factory. I wonder if a person could purchase this trigger kit aftermarket from browning?
Old 12-13-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
My stainless stalker came with an adjustable trigger from factory. I wonder if a person could purchase this trigger kit aftermarket from browning?
They are all adjustable. You just can’t get them below 3-4 lbs pull.

I bought my MCarbo springs directly from MCarbo and they shipped right to my door no issues. But that was a while back so things obviously changed.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:41 PM

Just to be the devils advocate I will tell you what I went through. Bought the X bolt varmint in 22-250 partially on the advertised "adjustable trigger".
I was working behind the counter at WSS so tried a few of them and right away noticed there was quite a difference in triggers right from the factory although apparently all had been set to 4 pounds at the factory. Some felt 3 and some felt 7 but I ordered one in on employee program and shot a lot of coyotes with it the first year. I believed I had adjusted the trigger to the lowest setting and still it felt heavy.
Friend one day volunteered his digital trigger pull gauge and we were amazed to find trigger broke at any where from 3 to 5 pounds inconsistently every few tries.
Off too the gunsmith who first off told me he hated the trigger assembly but did his best to hone the "pos" down to 2.5 pounds fearing he was close to the point of no return. I tried it for a few weeks and was not at all happy when it occasionally (once every week or two) would fire upon closing the bolt with my finger no where near the trigger guard. That was 2015
Took it back to said gun smith who physically manufactured the replacement part he had honed down (too far) and suggested I just live with the trigger at 2.5 to 3 pounds. I did that for 3 or more years but since the rifle was my favorite and most often used on the farm I often wondered if something better was out there but could never locate anything.

2018 I saw an ad for Al Flaherty guns in Toronto advertising Timney triggers for the X bolt series at $200 with free shipping. Internet noted that in most cases they were drop in but in some models (varmint) the stock had to be opened up a bit to account for the exterior cocking lever on Timney where in Browning factory design the lever was internal on the trigger assembly. Marked the contact areas with colored tracing tape and honed out the necessary channel for the lever. Set it to where I liked it and the same friend brought over the same digital trigger gauge to find it was at 28 ounces. Adjusted it down just a turn and a bit and we consistently got 20 ounces each try.
End of problem and about 6 years of fiddling around.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:13 PM

Thumbs up X-bolt triggers.??

I went through that M-carbo spring kit in July of this year, went from 60oz without the set screw(on factory spring) to 54oz. with the M-carbo spring, "NOT Happy" so I talked to Gary @ Bighorn sales in BC. and got a timmney trigger replacement, >>End of Story<<!! The factory triggers are Junk !! replace it and don't look back. Gary is #1 to deal with, as usual . KAP-CRK.
Old 05-13-2022, 06:41 PM

Don’t want to create a new thread, so I will ask here. Any difference between mcabro and yodave springs?

I actually was thinking to replace the entire trigger with Timmney, but I like the bolt feature with the factory trigger and don’t like the idea of spending a couple hundred when I can spend twenty (which I also don’t like, lol).

P. S. Thanks for the post, Posi, I actually stumbled upon this thread searching google.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Don’t want to create a new thread, so I will ask here. Any difference between mcabro and yodave springs?

I actually was thinking to replace the entire trigger with Timmney, but I like the bolt feature with the factory trigger and don’t like the idea of spending a couple hundred when I can spend twenty (which I also don’t like, lol).

P. S. Thanks for the post, Posi, I actually stumbled upon this thread searching google.
I’ve heard good things about the YoDave springs. I wouldn’t hesitate to try one. The MCarbo springs can still be found at dealers in Canada the last time I looked. They quit shipping direct to personal addresses though. In the end they are both just slightly lighter than stock springs. Wouldn’t surprise me if they came from the same factory.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:29 PM

Thanks, Posi. Bought the yodave spring from Tac Canada. Will report how it works out.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:21 PM

Spring arrived a couple of days ago (by the looks of it, I don’t check the mail daily). Which is pretty fast given it was sent in a regular letter envelope. I won’t be able to drop it in until probably next week, but will report back when I do.

Old 05-28-2022, 01:36 AM

So… Took the spring out and dropped the new one in. I took a couple of minutes trying to get the original one undamaged, but gave up on the idea. It is definitely doable, I just didn’t care enough.

Before taking the original spring out, I played around a bit. The factory trigger was set at about 3 lb 13.7 oz (that would be an average of 15 or so pulls). I brought it down to, what I considered to be safe, about 2 lb 13 oz. I would assume there was, perhaps, a little more play there.

With the new spring in, the gauge showed about 2.5 lb on a couple of 10-pulls averages (with extremes being not far off).

There is definitely some adjustment to make it heavier and little to go on a lighter side: