Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-26-2011, 08:34 PM

Default 2011/2012 Pic Update Mar 5

Here is the first one of the season, hope they keep coming!

Old 10-27-2011, 03:41 AM

hey, nice beaver!!!!

its great when one guy can say that to another without getting into a fight, eh?

strong work!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:54 AM

Thanks, ya i was going around work yesterday asking if people wanted to see my beaver, got some weird looks! lol
Old 10-27-2011, 01:02 PM

GOD I LOVE TRAPPING!! 2 more nice ones today
Post pics later hopefully
Old 10-27-2011, 09:14 PM

Didn't have any field photos today but actually weighed these ones, one weighed 48lbs the other 41lbs. Now i'm starting to feel like a trapper

Old 10-28-2011, 08:10 AM

Default Good Start

Nice work! I'm leaving the beavers on my line alone this season as the numbers are down. Wish I was out there but will have to wait until the hunters are out of the bush to chase some marten and lynx
Old 10-28-2011, 12:13 PM

Looks like a blast RMM thanks for the pics. I've noticed an increase in beaver in a few areas were I shed hunt for moose . Lot's of rabbits this year so Lynx should be good and also saw a few martin tracks in the fresh snow yesterday. If I wasn't doing a Euro mount for my moose I would have offered you the head for a wolverine bait. Where abouts is your FMA if you don't mind me asking? Good luck and have fun.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Looks like a blast RMM thanks for the pics. I've noticed an increase in beaver in a few areas were I shed hunt for moose . Lot's of rabbits this year so Lynx should be good and also saw a few martin tracks in the fresh snow yesterday. If I wasn't doing a Euro mount for my moose I would have offered you the head for a wolverine bait. Where abouts is your FMA if you don't mind me asking? Good luck and have fun.
Hello, ya i think its going to be a awsome season, i have been saving baits so i should be good but you can never have too much i guess. I am trapping behind victor mostly in willmore up and over haydens and the other border is the smokey by kvass.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:12 AM

Default I second the I love trapping!!!

6 beavers down......
Old 12-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Well not too bad of a start to the season, i caught 7 marten 5 weasels and a flying squirrel so far, I was outsmarted by a big lynx in my frist ever cubby 3 days ago. He walked right in but didnt put his head in the snare sniffed the beaver bait and lynx lure then left. heres a couple pics

And the lynx pen that i should have set a foothold instead

Old 12-06-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMusic View Post
Well not too bad of a start to the season, i caught 7 marten 5 weasels and a flying squirrel so far, I was outsmarted by a big lynx in my frist ever cubby 3 days ago. He walked right in but didnt put his head in the snare sniffed the beaver bait and lynx lure then left. heres a couple pics

And the lynx pen that i should have set a foothold instead

try more snares a couple in front back and sides lynx like to walk around your cubby checking it out
Old 12-07-2011, 07:13 AM

Hey Moose, i did that at a couple other cubbies i made, i didnt at this one because i was making it for a foothold when i realized my ammo for dispatch was 16 miles away in my truck (for a couple days)so i set up a snare instead as i was running out of daylight. I am going to build a few cubbies with 330's in them too for lynx and wolverine i have a moose head with my first gulos name on it i need to get back out there! Work is getting in the way i need to check the lotto tickets could be a millionare from 4 weeks ago and dont even know it sitting at work when i could be out in the bush where i belong.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the update RMM, looks like fun. I saw a few martin, lynx and a weasel in my travels this Nov., so it looks like crittter numbers may be up this year. Keep the pics coming.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMusic View Post
Great pics, keep them coming.

any ones of the flying squirrel?
Old 12-08-2011, 06:40 AM

Rocky - maybe give a lynx cubby made with dry spruce boughs and a snare a try. I've never had much luck crowding lynx in to a snare cubby with green spruce boughs, they seem to like being able to see through the cubby and even like to have room to turn around in. I agree that a foothold set on the trail up to the cubby can be bad medicine for a lynx as they walk up and check things out without entering the cubby. Good luck
Old 12-08-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Great pics, keep them coming.

any ones of the flying squirrel?

Thanks, I do have a pic somewhere i will try to find it and post when i get a chance.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
Rocky - maybe give a lynx cubby made with dry spruce boughs and a snare a try. I've never had much luck crowding lynx in to a snare cubby with green spruce boughs, they seem to like being able to see through the cubby and even like to have room to turn around in. I agree that a foothold set on the trail up to the cubby can be bad medicine for a lynx as they walk up and check things out without entering the cubby. Good luck
Thanks for the advice Brian i will try that out, makes sense now that i think of it. Any advice on how to make my wolverine set? Same way just put the 330 closer to the ground? I have a moose head for bait as this is what my in-laws used long time ago especially the ears play a big part. I am going to see how they made the set today hopefully. Thanks for the help how is your season going so far?
Old 12-08-2011, 06:43 PM

Rocky great post please keep us updated.Have never trapped but was always interested the pic's and stories are very informative.Good luck in the coming season thanks.Cheers Andy
Old 12-09-2011, 04:09 PM

I'm still trapping on the Kakwa waiting for this freaky warm weather to pass. I'd wire that moose head to a tree or a sturdy stump and set a 330 up in front of it. I don't like milk crates or buckets when setting for a wolverine. I put a horizontal pole across a couple anchor points about a foot off the ground and rest the bottom jaw of the 330 on it. Wire the springs solid and fill in around the trap with spruce boughs. I have the trigger on the bottom with the bait right behind it 8". The wolverine will hit the trigger with its chin and should kill it dead. Good set for lynx too.

TT2.JPG

heres a lynx snare setup with about a dozen lynx snares
Old 12-10-2011, 07:08 PM

Hey Brian, thanks for the tips i will try that out for sure and i'll take some pics of the setup when i'm done. This weather is killing me out there i need the skidoo to get up high but the river is flowing and scared of rocks on my skis, should make an interesting check tomorrow. I was going to set more tomorrow but with this weather i think i might hold off a bit. Thanks for the info and good luck this year!
Old 12-14-2011, 08:49 AM

Well got out on the line again this weekend and caught me 2 more marten and another weasel, so far its been 8 juv's to 2 adult males. This weather is terrible for skidoo now but this coming weekend im going to go set some wolverine and lynx set ups hope i keep finding fur in the traps.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:20 AM

Keep at it, looking good so far. Hopefully the weather settles down and you get yourline out. Good luck gettig that Gulo!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:23 AM

Default Nice

Keep at it, looking good so far. Hopefully the weather settles down and you get your line out. What are you using for marten bait? Is that a sardine can in the 120 in your last pic? Good luck gettig that Gulo!
Old 12-16-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgetter View Post
Keep at it, looking good so far. Hopefully the weather settles down and you get your line out. What are you using for marten bait? Is that a sardine can in the 120 in your last pic? Good luck gettig that Gulo!
I am experimenting with different bait for my marten sets, i am mostly using beaver meat but also some elk/deer scraps and tried some cod fillets(which dont seem to work at all) sardines at a couple sets and in the pic is a oyster can which obviosly does work!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:38 AM

Well time is running out to fast for this years trapping season but i think i did pretty good for my first year so far. I snared my first big tom lynx on the weekend that was a rush to find, i came so close on a trap shy wolverine more than once(next year he wont be so lucky), I had lots of animals around.A fisher that would not climb up to the set just do circles around the bottom of tree?? All though there is still time for more lynx and wolves here is what i have so far, pics to follow when i get time cant do it from work anymore. Wish i could make a living on it!

marten-22
weasel-9
squirel-7
Beaver-4
Muskrat-1
Lynx-3
Fox-1
Gulo-0
fisher-0
Old 03-05-2012, 07:13 PM

Well i said i would post some pics and havn't done it yet so here are a few from the line. I did get more muskrats and a mink on to my total plus a bunch more squirrel.

Lynx first

Old 03-05-2012, 07:17 PM

Muskrats and Mink

Another nice marten, hope the price hold high for next auction

Well post up more later.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:32 PM

Awesome pic's
Old 03-06-2012, 05:09 PM

Great pics!!looks like you had a great season!!
are you still hitt'in the beaver? under the ice i mean
Old 03-07-2012, 07:51 PM

Nice photos. You should be proud of that season total. makes me happy to see a young trapper with this much passion. Enjoy the rest of the winter!