Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Banned

Default lets have a pike thread

if anyone has information on pike ,pike lakes or pike techniques and is willing to SHARE please post thanks.

If anyone would like to fish for pike I will try to help and add some information to this pike thread. Will try to add some info for some southern lake as i can but for right now I will start with Wizard lake it is not known as a big pike lake the size of the pike are not fantastic but the numbers are great. There is very little areas for shore fishing the boat ramp is not to bad the dock has been pulled but ramp is still usable. As we heard the bite is a little slow right now but pike can still be had you can dead stick a minnow or shad or with a little technique you can slow play a soft rubber through the reed edges we were finding that a 4" or 6" white grub body on a red or pink jig head was producing the best. You can also use a white spinnerbait but it seemed to work better on a slow fall on a larger drop off. Two weeks ago we were up at Elinore lake the pike were hitting around the islands the rocks around the islands kept the waster just slightly warmer so by mid afternoon you could throw the odd spoon. Haven't been to Mayatan or st annes for a while hoping to get there this weekend if it happens I will post how the pike action was there and any tips that will help. Any question just let me know.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Banned

I thought that Wabumum Lake was the only good pike lake around Edmonton?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I thought that Wabumum Lake was the only good pike lake around Edmonton?
It is definitely the best known and has the biggest but there are numerous lakes with pike in them
Old 10-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Banned

There's a no keep pike limit in Lac Ste Anne and there are biggins being pulled out of there by the people that target them. Every year a few are taken out of Lac Lanonne as well. Most people fish for walleye in those lakes but you can do pretty good with the pike.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
There's a no keep pike limit in Lac Ste Anne and there are biggins being pulled out of there by the people that target them. Every year a few are taken out of Lac Lanonne as well. Most people fish for walleye in those lakes but you can do pretty good with the pike.
Ya the pike in my avatar came from Lac Ste Anne it was over 12lbs have never fished Lac Lanonne but will try I like to target them every once in a while
Old 10-27-2011, 10:00 AM

If your up for a small drive (few hours), near jasper is a BEAUTIFUL lake called Talbot Lake. Holds tons of pike and other fish and has beautiful moutainy scenery. Boat launch is right off of the highway and is easily accessed with little risk from passing by vehicles. I cant remember if this was on the provincial park grounds or not (I had my p.p. license anyways) but if it is than youd need a Provincial park license (very cheap). All in all a great spot if your willing to put in the time to drive.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:24 AM

My buddy has a cabin on Sturgeon Lake (1 hour East of Grande Prairie) and there are tons of little pike in there. I have pulled out one big one, and that was the last day of our last trip. My secret... Big lures get big fish. Only there, your hook has to be less than 10mm. Used a big spoon with a 10mm treble on the back.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:30 AM

pigeon lake is highly underrated for its pike. quality fish, and quantity. I'd expect using the same methods horsetrader mentioned would produce a sufficient amount of action. Will even get into walleye thick too though there not nearly as fun of a fight..

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 10-27-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Ya the pike in my avatar came from Lac Ste Anne it was over 12lbs have never fished Lac Lanonne but will try I like to target them every once in a while
Great to hear there are some beauties still in there. I used to walk and wade along the reed in the Spring catching big ones on flies or top water lures. Seen plenty of massive northerns to give one a chill...dangling your feet in the water.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:54 AM

Went fishing this Sept to Cold Lake and had a blast catching pike. I've posted a couple of the beauts we pulled out. I'm the guy with the beard, the one i'm holding was 36" and around 13lbs (depending on accuracy of scale!). Other one was around 9lbs

we were trolling rapalas, I had a live target perch as well that I caught the big one on.

fishing both at PP and english bay. also caught a couple casting into shore. will be back there next year!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20110916-00709 (477x640).jpg (26.5 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20110916-00707.jpg (42.4 KB, 94 views)
Old 10-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Banned

Hey Horse, if I was to go today/tomorrow to the lakes you mentioned, can you give me an exact location? As I'm unfamiliar with your neck of the woods. Like with a GPS coordinate and some structure, I'm looking for about 20 fow,,, my PM Box is full so could you just post the spot here? Thanks bud.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:07 PM

wabamun pike

n.s.r pike below
Old 10-27-2011, 12:14 PM

beautiful pike best guide......real nice
Old 10-27-2011, 03:52 PM

Im not a big pike fan anymore but my younger days were spent targetting them alot. I was blessed to grow up surrounded by irrigation resovoirs in the LNID and surrounding irriagtion districts.
This time of the year was special when i was growing up because we could leave the boat at home and go on numerous Pike runs after or before the tractor work. Some times fishing every day.
Keho , Badger, Travers, LBR and Lost lakes always coughed up big pike for us.
Our technique was pretty simple.....a large adjustable steelhead float (dink float) and a herring 8 feet below it. The key in the mornings was to have the bobber drag the herring slowly on the bottom. We used weed gaurds on the hooks to prevent debris from hanging up. I have fond memories of watching the float skiddering on the surface and then subermarining.
In the afternoon trips we found it best to keep the baits off the bottom by at least 2 feet for the really big pike.
Keho- we fished the south west corner any where from the berm north to the choke down from shore, bigger pike are in the weed bed humps west of the launch 500 yard in front of the south berm though.
Badger- the north east part of the lake near the canal is good for decent pike but our best pike always came from the south east corner in the large shallow flats. But the north east is great shore fishing.
Travers....bay of pigs, nuff said
LBR- the old canal bay
Lost- the canal inlet for shore guys.
Friends that still live down there and do the out of tractor dash say its not as good as the old days ...but still more fun than they can stand.
I may have talked myself into a trip.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:26 PM

Smile

txs for sharing chubb. awesome info,,,great thread horsetrader
Old 10-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike_king780 View Post
If your up for a small drive (few hours), near jasper is a BEAUTIFUL lake called Talbot Lake. Holds tons of pike and other fish and has beautiful moutainy scenery. Boat launch is right off of the highway and is easily accessed with little risk from passing by vehicles. I cant remember if this was on the provincial park grounds or not (I had my p.p. license anyways) but if it is than youd need a Provincial park license (very cheap). All in all a great spot if your willing to put in the time to drive.
Ya you are right King it is one of the most beautiful pike lakes I have fished. I use either my small john boat or float tubs. It is awesome to float and look up at that unbelievable mountain view. It is inside park limits so a P.P. licence is needed and lead free tackle thanks for post it king.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easywean View Post
Went fishing this Sept to Cold Lake and had a blast catching pike. I've posted a couple of the beauts we pulled out. I'm the guy with the beard, the one i'm holding was 36" and around 13lbs (depending on accuracy of scale!). Other one was around 9lbs

we were trolling rapalas, I had a live target perch as well that I caught the big one on.

fishing both at PP and english bay. also caught a couple casting into shore. will be back there next year!
nice pics thanks for the post
Old 10-27-2011, 06:12 PM

For shore fisherman there is lots of fun around Edson. You can walk and wade for miles on Fickle Lake and get plenty of pike action. Plenty of small to med. fish with a shot at the big girls in the spring. You can get Pike all year there. You also can have a good time on the Mcleod river. Had some very nice outings there. Caught my biggest river pike this year spin fishing and have also had good luck with streamers. Find the back eddies and corner pools and you willl find some fish. There is also the opportunity at walleye that you can keep if they make the slot size limit. If you are going for river walleye bring plenty of jigs. You have to be near the bottom and the dead wood piles up in those corner pools.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
Hey Horse, if I was to go today/tomorrow to the lakes you mentioned, can you give me an exact location? As I'm unfamiliar with your neck of the woods. Like with a GPS coordinate and some structure, I'm looking for about 20 fow,,, my PM Box is full so could you just post the spot here? Thanks bud.
Here are a couple of maps I hope they help you I kept them as simple as I could. I think you want to look for water a little shallower the water is getting pretty cold and the pike will be pulling back up in to the warmer water of the shallows until freeze up comes then they will head deeper again. I would be looking in the 12FOW and up range. I don't have access to my HDS right now so I can not add any waypoints at this time.
The map for Wizard is very straight forward the southside of the lake is quite fishable all along the places that are marked the shore drops off very quickly and have easier access to deeper water and are prime. This time of you there is no charge for parking but the dock has also been pulled.
Elinore Lake is a little harder lake to fish but there is also a greater variety of fish. The first thing I tell anyone going to Elinore is DONOT use the town (public) ramp it will cost you $5 to use the Elinore Estate Ramp but it will save you $100 for a new prop. got the bills to prove.....lol. The north end of the lake is almost unfishable with weed growth. The rocks and reeds around the islands make a great sunning and feeding area for the pike right now. I have maps of other lakes I will try to get out and will get some waypoints for easier location. Hope this helps you and others out any questions just ask.

PS sorry could not get this out earlier if you went today
Attached Files
File Type: pdf elinor.pdf (314.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: pdf wizard.pdf (353.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 10-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post

wabamun pike

n.s.r pike below
Awesome fish Shawn
Old 10-27-2011, 06:34 PM

we've been pulling out alot of 20 + pounders in twin valley damn, won't say where we've been but, a buddy went without me Monday and got a 28 pounder
Old 10-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Im not a big pike fan anymore but my younger days were spent targetting them alot. I was blessed to grow up surrounded by irrigation resovoirs in the LNID and surrounding irriagtion districts.
This time of the year was special when i was growing up because we could leave the boat at home and go on numerous Pike runs after or before the tractor work. Some times fishing every day.
Keho , Badger, Travers, LBR and Lost lakes always coughed up big pike for us.
Our technique was pretty simple.....a large adjustable steelhead float (dink float) and a herring 8 feet below it. The key in the mornings was to have the bobber drag the herring slowly on the bottom. We used weed gaurds on the hooks to prevent debris from hanging up. I have fond memories of watching the float skiddering on the surface and then subermarining.
In the afternoon trips we found it best to keep the baits off the bottom by at least 2 feet for the really big pike.
Keho- we fished the south west corner any where from the berm north to the choke down from shore, bigger pike are in the weed bed humps west of the launch 500 yard in front of the south berm though.
Badger- the north east part of the lake near the canal is good for decent pike but our best pike always came from the south east corner in the large shallow flats. But the north east is great shore fishing.
Travers....bay of pigs, nuff said
LBR- the old canal bay
Lost- the canal inlet for shore guys.
Friends that still live down there and do the out of tractor dash say its not as good as the old days ...but still more fun than they can stand.
I may have talked myself into a trip.
Great post Chubb......But what kind of float was that
Old 10-27-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Great post Chubb......But what kind of float was that

before someone reports my post

http://www.fishonbc.com/articles/steelhead-floats/
Old 10-27-2011, 07:12 PM

i no someone reported me as i got a nice written warning,,at least i didnt get suspended or banned, i guess i better leave my thoughts to myself.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosbos View Post
For shore fisherman there is lots of fun around Edson. You can walk and wade for miles on Fickle Lake and get plenty of pike action. Plenty of small to med. fish with a shot at the big girls in the spring. You can get Pike all year there. You also can have a good time on the Mcleod river. Had some very nice outings there. Caught my biggest river pike this year spin fishing and have also had good luck with streamers. Find the back eddies and corner pools and you willl find some fish. There is also the opportunity at walleye that you can keep if they make the slot size limit. If you are going for river walleye bring plenty of jigs. You have to be near the bottom and the dead wood piles up in those corner pools.

Nice pics ......... Them big girls can come out of some shallow water and just scare the heck out of you GOT TO LOVE IT.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprime27 View Post
we've been pulling out alot of 20 + pounders in twin valley damn, won't say where we've been but, a buddy went without me Monday and got a 28 pounder
A lot of the big pike are shallow right now, use big flies big black 4 inch leech patterns work great.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
A lot of the big pike are shallow right now, use big flies big black 4 inch leech patterns work great.
Big red streamers my favorite
Old 10-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
I've got some foam slip bobbers are these slip or not
Old 10-27-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike_king780 View Post
Quote:
Ya you are right King it is one of the most beautiful pike lakes I have fished. I use either my small john boat or float tubs. It is awesome to float and look up at that unbelievable mountain view. It is inside park limits so a P.P. licence is needed and lead free tackle thanks for post it king.
National Park guys, not Provincial, don't get everyone confused here now.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I've got some foam slip bobbers are these slip or not

both.......heard from mikeo lately?