Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-24-2012, 11:08 PM

Default leghold trap for coyotes question.

I need some clarification for just what is legal to use for coyotes as far as foothold traps. AIHTS says conventional footholds are prohibited, and they list some approved traps, but under that section they say they aren't mandatory yet. So i'm a bit confused . thanks guys
Old 01-25-2012, 11:25 AM

Get the ones that are listed
Old 01-25-2012, 08:12 PM

#3 victor soft catch is on list
Old 01-26-2012, 07:17 PM

I know whats on the list that's not my question. Is the list mandatory or not? that's my question. I have traps that aren't on it already and there fine. Not inhumane in anyway. So if I don't have to buy new ones Im not. The list says right at the top there not yet mandatory. just don't want to make a mistake. Asked a conservation officer he had no Idea.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:53 PM

yup they are mandatory
Old 01-26-2012, 09:11 PM

They are the recommended traps from the few they test. That list has nothing to do with what is the most effective or humane trap. There are many good traps not on that list nor will they be. You should see what a coyotes foot looks like after he has torn any of the rubber pads up a bit. And the foot snare is just a laughable piece of equipment. The way it is worded it seems to me to be recommended not mandatory. Until it is phased in anyway.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:56 PM

Whether you have to use the listed traps or not, I am not sure. For certain you must use a trap on the list but you might also be able to use traps that have some type of modification ie offset jaws.

What's stupid is that while Alberta gives it to us trappers repeatedley, making us do more than is required, then you have good ole Quebec and they don't even have to check their traps over there. Good ole Texas style law on steel foot traps.

No trap check laws in Quebec, so why do we have such restrictive law when it's not even mandatory nation wide at this time???
Old 01-27-2012, 08:35 AM

Default Use what you have

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchmonkey View Post
I know whats on the list that's not my question. Is the list mandatory or not? that's my question. I have traps that aren't on it already and there fine. Not inhumane in anyway. So if I don't have to buy new ones Im not. The list says right at the top there not yet mandatory. just don't want to make a mistake. Asked a conservation officer he had no Idea.
The list for coyote, bobcat & wolf IS NOT mandatory at this time. You can use what you want till such time as it is legislated for these animals. There is more info at www.fur.ca
Old 01-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=KI-UTE;1276284.
No trap check laws in Quebec, so why do we have such restrictive law when it's not even mandatory nation wide at this time???[/QUOTE]

It's really quite plain and simple...We, as Canadians, have to comply with the International regs if we are to compete in the market, others DON'T.. That's just the way it is.....
Old 01-27-2012, 10:46 PM

thanks guys. seems conclusive to me,lol. just kidding. I heard back from the conservation officer, he says he researched it and would interpret that we do not as yet have to use the traps on the list. also, ha snever had to enforce anything to due with trapping. good to know the law made to keep the honest guys honest. They can make whatever rules they want but nobody is there to inforce it.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
The list for coyote, bobcat & wolf IS NOT mandatory at this time. You can use what you want till such time as it is legislated for these animals. There is more info at www.fur.ca
The guy who has the trapline right beside me just got charged for using unapproved legholds for lynx they were old longsprings,he was told by the fish cop he could use them if he off set the jaws and laminated them,so now I am confused
Old 01-29-2012, 08:36 AM

That's cause Lynx is currently regulated for restraining traps ( ie: legholds )as per phase 1 of the AIHTS agreement. Refer to page 13 of your trapping regs. Also, I believe the fish cop was wrong in telling him he could simply modify those traps. The list only shows 5 currently approved traps for Lynx.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
That's cause Lynx is currently regulated for restraining traps ( ie: legholds )as per phase 1 of the AIHTS agreement. Refer to page 13 of your trapping regs. Also, I believe the fish cop was wrong in telling him he could simply modify those traps. The list only shows 5 currently approved traps for Lynx.
I asked another fish cop in high prairie and was told the same thing you can modify you old traps and use them,not argueing just repeating what I was told,makes no sense to me either
Old 01-29-2012, 04:25 PM

I wonder sometimes if some CO's even read the regs.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I wonder sometimes if some CO's even read the regs.
Sometimes I wonder that myself
Old 02-28-2012, 01:21 PM

Default Traps

You need to have offset traps jaws - I think it is 5/16" spacing, would have to check regs. Any foothold can be modified with #9 wire tabs welded on inside corners of jaws to give spacing.

Most important thing on traps is to have them well swiveled, including center swiveling at base of trap. Shock absorbers such as the TAOS (J Connors) are a real good idea on the trap chain too. Rounded jaw edges or #9 wire welded to top of the jaws makes the traps more humane as well.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 PM

where does it say that in the regs? don't see it anywhere. don't see any restrictions for coyotes at all as the list is not yet mandatory. Or were you talking for lynx?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Godberson View Post
You need to have offset traps jaws - I think it is 5/16" spacing, would have to check regs. Any foothold can be modified with #9 wire tabs welded on inside corners of jaws to give spacing.

Most important thing on traps is to have them well swiveled, including center swiveling at base of trap. Shock absorbers such as the TAOS (J Connors) are a real good idea on the trap chain too. Rounded jaw edges or #9 wire welded to top of the jaws makes the traps more humane as well.
Couldn't agree with you more. All my traps have 3 swivels and JC Conner inline shock absorbers. I have a mixture of soft catch and laminated 3/8 offset jaw traps. Whether or not they are mandatory, my old traps are retired. It is the ethical thing to do and I really like the holding power and minimal damage caused by these humane traps. In fact I caught the neighbors border collie in a Bridger Brawn #9 wolf trap. She was sore for half a day and was running like nothing happened the next.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:58 AM

We caught a turkey vulture when trying to bait a badger. It had one #3 Victor soft catch on each leg. Put a jacket over it and was able to release it unharmed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (101.0 KB, 45 views)