Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-09-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
LOL I dont know Rob needs to add a size larger I think . Even for them guys with Bifocals I think they can read that . Perhaps I need to post it in several spoken languages . That way i'm not racist .
I find using Asian Carp minnows live works best when im fishing for Sturgeon. After I catch a sturgeon i release all the carp. I then use the sturgeon eggs after that point it just works better. Thats the best way to use live bait in the NSR......
Old 03-09-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
I believe you can use live minnows if you trap them in the lake you are fishing and do not transport them from the lake you caught them in. Honestly i dont see a problem with that as they would be from the lake they were from and would not be a threat to the ecosystem because they are from there in the first place. If it was illegal to use live bait then why can you buy live bait containers with an aerator... That being said you are not allowed to use barbed hooks but you buy 99% of them with barbs.....
This thread clearly shows that you don't know the regs.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:37 AM

It is simple, if you don't want to go out and buy frozen minnows than you should be breeding your own. Think what would happen to the fish populations if everyone was out trapping their own bait. It doesn't sound like a big deal but it adds up.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by college-fisherman View Post
It is simple, if you don't want to go out and buy frozen minnows than you should be breeding your own. Think what would happen to the fish populations if everyone was out trapping their own bait. It doesn't sound like a big deal but it adds up.
The minnows end up back in the lake so nothing is taken out, it's merely borrowed for a bit.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
The minnows end up back in the lake so nothing is taken out, it's merely borrowed for a bit.
haha
Old 03-09-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a good plan, any ideas where one might legally find some breeding stock ?
Old 03-09-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Errr...where do you figure the ones in the tubs come from? Y'know...the tubs of shiners that have the occasional stickleback or perch minnow in the batch?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-09-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I think it would be hard for them to breed when they are frozen, (think shrinkage)
thing is, possession of live minnows is illegal. even if you bred your own. you can always do what I do and catch them in the canals, have a pail of salted water and drop them in, instant death and preserved all in one easy step.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-09-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
hmmm... how many minnows do you think a pike you catch on single minnow eats in a day, week, month? Its almost like a perpetual motion machine! The more minnows used as bait, the more minnows in the lake! Just no big fish left!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Errr...where do you figure the ones in the tubs come from? Y'know...the tubs of shiners that have the occasional stickleback or perch minnow in the batch?
Everyone knows they come from the feezer at the local Husky or Mohawk Gas Station......geeeze....

Like steak comes from the grocery store and milk comes from a carton DUH!!!

LC
Old 03-09-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
Sounds like a good plan, any ideas where one might legally find some breeding stock ?
you might be able to get fathead minnows from a scientific supply company, but you realize you will spending a lot more money trying to breed your own bait than you would buying or trapping them from a lake. You also might need a permit to purchase them from within Alberta as well. I don't know man, seems like a waste of time to me
Old 03-09-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
you might be able to get fathead minnows from a scientific supply company, but you realize you will spending a lot more money trying to breed your own bait than you would buying or trapping them from a lake. You also might need a permit to purchase them from within Alberta as well. I don't know man, seems like a waste of time to me
I know it is a waste of time it, I was trying to get the college fisherman to do some research . Keeping live native fish is illegal and using fish raised in aquariums or ponds for bait is also a no-no.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
I know it is a waste of time it, I was trying to get the college fisherman to do some research . Keeping live native fish is illegal and using fish raised in aquariums or ponds for bait is also a no-no.
if it is for research, you should have no problem getting both a permit as well as broodstock. If you are really interested in doing this, PM me and I can send you the contact info for a supplier in Ontario.