Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 04:44 PM

I happen to know the gentle man who caught this wonderful laker, and know him very well. He has lived in this area since the early seventies, and loves the lake and the fishery. He has been active in attending some of the meetings with fishery people to set the new regs. Fishes barbless. Without stinger hooks or bait. Is the most conrservation minded guy I know. He brought that fish up from 120 fow., and reported that when he brought it up through the ice it was bleeding out, and pretty well expired on the ice. It was his only bite of the day. He did not post the picture. but shared it with some friends. It wasn't his intention to have himself, or his wife (see Bobalong's awful attack on her) exposed to public attacks. Many of you have made some pretty bad assumptions on his character. I hope this makes you think twice before post your comments. He's been fishing this lake for decades, has always followed regs and even gone the extra mile (no bait and no stinger hooks, and when I fish with him, he doesn't even pull the undersized fish out but releases them in the hole and lets them go back to breed. He has pushed for a slot size. He generally only keeps the first legal fish of the day. Give him a break, or at least ask for facts. Of all the people who deserve to catch a true trophy laker, this is the guy.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Banned

I don't see where anyone attacked this mans charector but instead used this post as a chance to raise some conservation issues,, it happens,, its called conversation, it doesn't always go in the path intended. Some people are worried about this fishery and are trying their darndest to save it before its to late.

But each to their own,, carry on as you choose..
Old 01-28-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I can guarantee you this is the not the first big fish this gentleman has caught and kept out of Cold Lake. Him and his wife are locals and fish this lake religiously in the winter. You may not remember but his wife used to be a member on here and left, because of some of the same comments you are reading on here about constantly keeping big fish out of Cold Lake. His wife is a member of another board (that I used to be a member of) and for years has been posting pics of 15+ lakers that they catch and keep from Cold Lake. That is pretty well a "bonkers" only board, and has many members from down east, who do not know or appreciate the state of our fisheries here, so the comments are some what different than here.
I don't them personally but have heard they are very nice people, but they are very "old school" with regard to the fisheries in our province.
Isn't it ironic that due to the lack of work down east and the opportunities here, many eastern folk that come here are fighting to keep fish wherever possible, whenever possible, as if fish spring eternal from our lakes out west. ONE small question for you, Does anyone know why there were jobs once upon a time down east and now there are few left? short easy answer
THE FISHERIES DOWN EAST WERE DESTROYED BY OVERZEALOUS FISHERMAN, FROM FAR AND WIDE(PORTUGAL ARE YOU LISTENING?) WHO THOUGHT THE GRAND BANKS COULD SURVIVE ANY AND ALL HUMAN FISHING AND CONSUMPTION, WITH NEITHER REGULATION NOR ETHICS REQUIRED TO STOP THEM.
Times have changed, as has technology. All of us, westerners, easterners, need to have a hand in protecting our access to good fishing by limiting our limits. Hope springs eternal, fish sadly don't.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:39 PM

as for Bobalong's 'attack' on the guy's wife, give me a break!!!! maybe look at the theme and words he used, and wake up to the fact people who know how good the fishing can be in this province are discouraged that just because the law says you can take fish some people take fish when putting it back would have been a much better choice(ie huge spawner taken out instead of taking a few measurements, a pic and getting a nice replica mount made) for the good of the fishery. Bobalong is as knowledgeable a fisherman as exists in this province, btw, i know that personally.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:41 PM

What a load of crap I'm reading here.

Just be happy for Peter and leave you negitive and unsolicited comments for another thread.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:47 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Sure why not..

From another post.
Legal fishing Vikings now thats a thought,,,
Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 PM

ok people just drop this and move on
Old 01-28-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
What a load of crap I'm reading here.

Just be happy for Peter and leave you negitive and unsolicited comments for another thread.
Well said, I don't know the guy but its sounds like he is really evil for keeping a fish that died on the ice, evil evil man, people need to know facts before jumping to conclusions, a picture says a 1000 words
Old 01-28-2013, 10:50 PM

The guy who caught the fish is a solid character. The ones who are jeering and pointing fingers and making some pretty wild assumptions are doing nothing but embarrassing themselves. [Ie people throwing around the term "easterners"]

Lets ask ourselves some questions

Was it a big fish, maybe even once in a lifetime? Yes.
Would it taste good? No.
Will it make an awesome mount? Hell yes.
Should it have been released? His call. Not yours.

Conservation is in the hands of the individual fisherman.
You would release that fish? Good for you.
You would keep that fish? All the power to you.

Some people just need to relax.

my 2 cents.
Oliver

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 01-28-2013, 11:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0liver View Post
The guy who caught the fish is a solid character. The ones who are jeering and pointing fingers and making some pretty wild assumptions are doing nothing but embarrassing themselves. [Ie people throwing around the term "easterners"]

Lets ask ourselves some questions

Was it a big fish, maybe even once in a lifetime? Yes.
Would it taste good? No.
Will it make an awesome mount? Hell yes.
Should it have been released? His call. Not yours.

Conservation is in the hands of the individual fisherman.
You would release that fish? Good for you.
You would keep that fish? All the power to you.

Some people just need to relax.

my 2 cents.
Oliver
The term easterners was a reference to Ontario where most of the members of the "other" board are from. It was not meant to be derogatory,with the amount of lakes down there catch and release is not something that is a real issue, like here.
As far as attacking anyone..............
Old 01-29-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
I am sick and tired of people getting criticized for keeping fish, it is not against the law. Here is a question for you. How many people will pass a 200 plus inch whitetail because they want it to spread its genetics. The answer I am sure will be no one. A trophy is a trophy, every bodies standards are different, it is what matters in the eye of the beholder.
Well put. I rarely post on this forum and when I do I'm typically looking for help with a question but I do enjoy (some) of the threads people take the time to share such as this one. I couldnt help but post on this one as it ceases to amaze me how many people (who seem to be experts on all kinds of topics) are so quick and willing to offer either their criticism or unsolicited advice. Are you all experts? Doubt it. Maybe selfproclaimed! This indavidual did not post this thread asking for your advice, they posted it to share something they were very proud of and should be. What they decide to do with it is their business assuming it was taken legally. And here is a revaloution, why not assume it was taken legally unless there is valid reason to show otherwise. I'd like to offer a huge congrats. I'd love to catch a LT like that one day. And maybe I'll keep it maybe I won't. That shouldn't matter to ANYONE as long as its legal. It would be my decision not yours. I'm guessing the criticizers and opinion volunteers wouldn't like to be told who they should vote for or what religion they should follow. How is this different.
If your not happy with the way resources are managed in AB lobby your govt or something more useful and effective than vocalizing your petty criticisms on here. Nothing bad or unethical was done here. Just someone trying to share something they are proud of. Thanks for sharing and again congrats. There are good people on here and there is usefull knowledge, unfortunately one must sift through an unnecessary/unfortunate amount of bit**ing and off track opinions to find anything posative and of value.
Your supposed to be outdoorsmen. Act like it!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale 19 View Post
Well put. I rarely post on this forum and when I do I'm typically looking for help with a question but I do enjoy (some) of the threads people take the time to share such as this one. I couldnt help but post on this one as it ceases to amaze me how many people (who seem to be experts on all kinds of topics) are so quick and willing to offer either their criticism or unsolicited advice. Are you all experts? Doubt it. Maybe selfproclaimed! This indavidual did not post this thread asking for your advice, they posted it to share something they were very proud of and should be. What they decide to do with it is their business assuming it was taken legally. And here is a revaloution, why not assume it was taken legally unless there is valid reason to show otherwise. I'd like to offer a huge congrats. I'd love to catch a LT like that one day. And maybe I'll keep it maybe I won't. That shouldn't matter to ANYONE as long as its legal. It would be my decision not yours. I'm guessing the criticizers and opinion volunteers wouldn't like to be told who they should vote for or what religion they should follow. How is this different.

If your not happy with the way resources are managed in AB lobby your govt or something more useful and effective than vocalizing your petty criticisms on here. Nothing bad or unethical was done here. Just someone trying to share something they are proud of. Thanks for sharing and again congrats. There are good people on here and there is usefull knowledge, unfortunately one must sift through an unnecessary/unfortunate amount of bit**ing and off track opinions to find anything posative and of value.
Your supposed to be outdoorsmen. Act like it!

Old 01-29-2013, 09:44 AM

I don't see anyone attacking this man I know I didn't Everyone has said he did nothing wrong as he was inside the fishing regulations....now if he eats a meal and freezes the rest and heads out fishing this week then there maybe something illegal about that but that all speculation.

The point everyone is trying to make is Alberta SRD is sitting back and doing what they always and waiting until a fishery is damaged before they try anything.
Slot sizes on lakes where ample feed is available works and works great.
Now that not going to help when a fish just doesn't make it due to whatever but it will prevent the number of fishermen taking 15lb plus fish home regularly.....That the mindset of Albertans catch and keep the biggest and that what's ruining our fishery we need the government to enforce a slot size in many lake so you catch and release the big spawners and the smaller males and females that produce 1/4 the eggs go to the filleting table.

This isn't a conversation of no retention just controlled retention to ensure our fisheries are only outstanding for 5 years then gone and rebuilt for 15.

If anyone of us sit back and think we are not a part of the problem and ever put a line in the water you are sadly mistaken....our Biologist and entire fisheries ASRD are so horribly funded by our government and special interest groups compared to other provinces we need to make our opinions known and help protect our our resources.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:14 AM

Default Wow!!!

It still amazes me anyone even attempts to post pictures on this forum anymore
You sideliners with all your wisdom have nothing better to do then internet bully anyone enjoying the great outdoors , enjoying a fish of a lifetime
This poster shared a picture for the rest of us to enjoy
Not to be torn apart and ridiculed for keeping a big laker
I have quit posting pics of late because of a few posters here

Once again congrats on your big laker, looks like Cold lake is still producing fine and being enjoyed by many
Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Nice laker no doubt its unfourtunate that in Alberta to prevent people from keeping such a specimen they would need to have a slot limit.
I honestly belive in slot limits and there is pleanty of proof of there success in Sask all the way east.

Smaller fish are are plain and simple much better eating and have much less of an impact on the population of a lake.
I don't like C&R only fisheries as we have all seen what this did to Pigeon lake Skinny Walleye 5 pounders that should be 8 pounders, next to no pike and perch ect.

There is no reason to keep a 8lb Walleye or a 15 lb Pike or a 15 lb Laker all those fish are too big to eat in a single sitting and really you ego feels good for the 4 hours that fish lays on the ice next to you but once its home and filleted and there is nothing left to brag about.
Personally taking a quick pic and sending it back is a much better option that personally makes my ego feel much better and keeping a couple smaller fish for the pan still lets me enjoy my favorite fish.

Congrats to this angler on a great fish he has done nothing outside of what our regulations let him but IMO this thread would have been much better if the picture was taken and fish was returned.
Just a note to the "walleye" of Pigeon Lake....I went on Saturday to try and get my under 43 cm tags filled and all the walleye caught were the healthiest, best looking fish I have ever seen outta Pigeon Lake. Big and plump, well proportioned and very vibrant color...reflecting very healthy fish. The biggest was a 58 cm and had to be a 5 lb + wally. You know why? Cause the populations of the walleye there are now leveled out and not exceeding the other species (other than the perch...perch populations are hurting everywhere and need to be stocked yearly!!) I think the tag systems are an excellent way of managing a lake and keeping all the species populations in good order. And what I have seen from Pigeon Lake from healthy to terrible to healthy over a 8 year + span proves this theory true..I practice C&R alot however nothing wrong with a shore lunch the odd time. I do agree that the big ones should be released and mounted via replicas as the replicas nowadays are incredible...I do part time fish taxidermy and become to lean more and more towards the replicas then the skin mounts. In my humble opinion, the gentleman that kept that fish...it is his right to do what he feels is right but if it is a constant repeat of "keeping" big fish time to draw the line. Just saying as I released many big fish that I could have kept however I have my trophies on the wall (one of only) there are my two bits....nice fish!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:59 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouyC28ffPjQ

Nice fish, thanks for sharing.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 01-29-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKON View Post
It still amazes me anyone even attempts to post pictures on this forum anymore
You sideliners with all your wisdom have nothing better to do then internet bully anyone enjoying the great outdoors , enjoying a fish of a lifetime
This poster shared a picture for the rest of us to enjoy
Not to be torn apart and ridiculed for keeping a big laker
I have quit posting pics of late because of a few posters here

Once again congrats on your big laker, looks like Cold lake is still producing fine and being enjoyed by many
X2
Old 01-29-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouyC28ffPjQ

Nice fish, thanks for sharing.
What the hell is that?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:28 PM

I totally agree with you. I have learned my lesson, I am totally sorry that I had this picture posted and will never do it again!! I apologize to Pete for posting this picture. I didnt know that there were that many people who would jump all over this man. Again I am sorry for posting the picture..
Old 01-29-2013, 01:33 PM
Banned

Its very unforetunate when a thread gets derailed but it happens. What amazes me is the worst part of a thread like this is not the few that politely stated conservation issues without flaming the OP or the man that caught the fish but the responses to those comments. Thats where the name calling and flamitory comments have came in.. There was a picture put up on a free, open, public web site, no one called the man names, no one called him down all that was stated is it would be best if we stopped taking these type of fish from our waters. For the most part as far as I can tell it was done in a courtious manner.

Looking back, it was probably not in my best judgement to bring up my issues on this thread. If the man that caught the fish has read my comments and if I offended you in anyway I appoligise. In no way did I mean to directy attack you as a man or as a outdoorsman. My intent was to raise awareness of a fishery that will be in bad shape in a couple years if nothing is done. From recent discusions with other members I have been made aware that this man is an avid supporter of conservation on this lake and for that I thank him. I will keep an eye out for him at future meetings and I will in person appoligise for my part in this mess.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:44 PM

Your correct that it was unfortunate and you had as much a hand in derailing as a few others here. He wasnt asking for your views or your thoughts in personal ethics, regulations or to be educated and this was NOT the forum to do so. Gracious enough you came to this conclusion albeit late in the game but will give you credit.

Guys and gals, quite simply this has to stop. If you have nothing to add in the purpose of why pics are put up to begin with, simply refrain. Derailing threads with rhetoric or personal opinion when not requested to and derailing threads when a guy posts a pic of a catch just isnt going to fly anymore, its tiresome and quite frankly not welcome! Take this as you may, but being more than transparent here so dont act surprised when or if you receive a special PM warranting attention that is not warm and fuzzy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Its very unforetunate when a thread gets derailed but it happens. What amazes me is the worst part of a thread like this is not the few that politely stated conservation issues without flaming the OP or the man that caught the fish but the responses to those comments. Thats where the name calling and flamitory comments have came in.. There was a picture put up on a free, open, public web site, no one called the man names, no one called him down all that was stated is it would be best if we stopped taking these type of fish from our waters. For the most part as far as I can tell it was done in a courtious manner.

Looking back, it was probably not in my best judgement to bring up my issues on this thread. If the man that caught the fish has read my comments and if I offended you in anyway I appoligise. In no way did I mean to directy attack you as a man or as a outdoorsman. My intent was to raise awareness of a fishery that will be in bad shape in a couple years if nothing is done. From recent discusions with other members I have been made aware that this man is an avid supporter of conservation on this lake and for that I thank him. I will keep an eye out for him at future meetings and I will in person appoligise for my part in this mess.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Your correct that it was unfortunate and you had as much a hand in derailing as a few others here. He wasnt asking for your views or your thoughts in personal ethics, regulations or to be educated and this was NOT the forum to do so. Gracious enough you came to this conclusion albeit late in the game but will give you credit.

Guys and gals, quite simply this has to stop. If you have nothing to add in the purpose of why pics are put up to begin with, simply refrain. Derailing threads with rhetoric or personal opinion when not requested to and derailing threads when a guy posts a pic of a catch just isnt going to fly anymore, its tiresome and quite frankly not welcome! Take this as you may, but being more than transparent here so dont act surprised when or if you receive a special PM warranting attention that is not warm and fuzzy.

Well said
Old 01-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Gone Hunting

I disagree fellas. If theres a problem with this forum nowadays with serious hunters and anglers participating here, its because its been ALLOWED to be over ran by a fair bunch that arent interested in the issues or the future of this province. If there were a line towed here by its moderators that the historical b.s. that goes on here will not be tollerated, we would likely be looking today at a provincial forum that is overrun with an abundance of SERIOUS outdoor folk, and thier conservative minded pics and stories. All this political bs, i believe the above moderators words fall in such,, need to go the way of the dinosaur in favor of a more serious-enthusiast followed board. We might see a trend where serious guys arent beieg banned, as has been the case for a long time, and casual uneducated, actually uninterested users of our resources are the ones being banned. Just my two bits

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 01-29-2013, 03:10 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark gingell View Post
I totally agree with you. I have learned my lesson, I am totally sorry that I had this picture posted and will never do it again!! I apologize to Pete for posting this picture. I didnt know that there were that many people who would jump all over this man. Again I am sorry for posting the picture..
Just the wankers jumped all over it in a negative way Mark, experts in fisheries, Alberta and the way life should be by one set of eyes, "Thiers"! Most of us enjoy what was posted and congratulated Pete for this Legal, awesome catch. So again thank you for sharing.

Dont let party poopers poop on your party eh!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
What the hell is that?
Maybe I should of quoted the guy who mentioned 'keyboard' experts in his post when posting that.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 01-29-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
Maybe I should of quoted the guy who mentioned 'keyboard' experts in his post when posting that.
Oh now I get it, well played sir
Old 01-29-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
I disagree fellas. If theres a problem with this forum nowadays with serious hunters and anglers participating here, its because its been ALLOWED to be over ran by a fair bunch that arent interested in the issues or the future of this province. If there were a line towed here by its moderators that the historical b.s. that goes on here will not be tollerated, we would likely be looking today at a provincial forum that is overrun with an abundance of SERIOUS outdoor folk, and thier conservative minded pics and stories. All this political bs, i believe the above moderators words fall in such,, need to go the way of the dinosaur in favor of a more serious-enthusiast followed board. We might see a trend where serious guys arent beieg banned, as has been the case for a long time, and casual uneducated, actually uninterested users of our resources are the ones being banned. Just my two bits
What a bunch of crap.... Just because some people prefer NOT to post comments such as:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 208prov View Post
why why why a replica is 10 time better,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmuiz View Post
That's a beauty but what a shame that's it's not still in the lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclennanchris View Post
nice fish, thanks for killing it....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
Obviously should have been released but none the less what a beautiful catch, beautiful fish way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
Thats too bad
it does NOT mean that those people do not care about the future of Alberta's fishery. And it certainly does not mean the people congratulating the catch are "casual" or that they "aren't interested in the issues or future of the province" or "uneducated". Give me a break....

The biggest problem is that the majority of the time, no one knows what the back story of the picture is before they jump off their pedestal just to post what a "travesty" it is that the fish in the picture was kept, and what a horrible human being the person that caught the fish is.... Case in point being this thread.

What exactly is accomplished by person A posting "...thanks for killing it..." after person B posts a picture? Are you saying person A is more educated than person B on the state of lake X fishery because person A would have released the fish? Those types of comments serve absolutely no purpose and do nothing but cause problems.

I love seeing other people's fish pictures, and it drives me nuts that the arm-chair fishermen, sitting way up on their pedestal, ruin it for anyone thinking about posting pictures. If it's not comments on keeping a fish, it's about how they're handling the fish, or about how many fish are in the picture, etc. And no, the majority of comments are not meant to be "educational". Granted some are, and some people really take the time to explain why THEY would have released the fish, but those comments are few and far between IMO.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... It's no wonder only a select few continue to post fish pictures...
Old 01-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Your last comment is awful close to hitting the nail on the head Mofugger. The reality is that few dedicated anglers post ANYTHING in the fishing forums anymore, simply because of the disaster it has become. Do you recall what the fishing forum used to look like? Some do, and a meaningful, useful, constructive content used to be here. Many shared thier experiences, and it was ok to get after it on the issues. The completely wrong people have been and are being banned from this place as a whole. Who cares though eh, if AO gradually follows the footsteps of our fisheries, at least we are being real nice and pollitical about it, hey? I wanna clarify, my thoughts are in response to the above moderators thoughts on things, it has nothing to do with a possible mort. laker, though I have personally taken note of the Bobalong post, knowing personally as well how educated and avid Bobalong is, and drawn my own conclusions on this one...

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 01-29-2013, 04:15 PM

Will respectfully agree to disagree. Forum rules are created and enforced for all members to abide by and if one cant play within those rules then their is consequences. Nothing political about it. Quite frankly those rules are so basic and predacate around being respectful. Justifying your argumented based on passed banned members isnt really helping your cause in solidifying your argument by any sense of the imagination. Neat thing is, you have choice as we all do, in how we wish to contribute or even be apart of. One can always ask for your membership fees back if not happy and become apart of another internet forum or social outlet..........

my point remains. If one feels the need to address those thoughts, create your own thread and discuss away, just dont do it in another persons thread and derail to what the actual intent of the thread was and abide by forum rules. quite simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Old 01-29-2013, 04:21 PM
Gone Hunting

10/4 Pixel

Keep a strain on er
Closed Thread