Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-24-2008, 07:36 PM

golden tout on a hopper/dropper would be unreal just to catch such a pristine and beautiful fish
Old 08-24-2008, 07:38 PM

alaska for halis and the amazon for huge parrot bass
Old 08-24-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPotch View Post

Of course your entitled to your opinion and to each there own. But come on guys have some fun and live a little. This is a forum, just for fun, not like it has to be accomplished by next week. I think you boy's gotta get off the freshwater.

I am being open minded. Your the ones being closed doors (think about it) "I know what I like" LOL. I'm sure there have been alot of missed opertunities with that kind of attitude.

I'm just giving you the gears over the choices you made. Sorry if I upset anyone. But just cause your cranky and old doesn't mean you can't be swayed to try something new. Personaly I like to try something new! Say catch a species of fish I havn't caught before. Your free to voice your opinions. But in my opinion your limiting yourselfs, kinda like a dream with tunnel vision.

GBL, LOTW, Atha-b, west coast - Are all great fishing destinations and I can guarentee you that I'll have been to each of them before I'm 35.

GBL - Big fish sure but I've caught most if not all the species that the lake has to offer.

You want somewhere secluded, try Bistcho, been there done that. Only company is the bugs and the bears. YAY

I hate the city, small town boy my whole life. Don't have cable or internet at my home. Please feel free to bash me for my opinion or on the choices I made. I started the thread to see what would come up, I'm glad you guy's posted, and by all means stick by your decisions. I had a feeling that there would be lots of wild and crazy things that come up and could possibly make my list of somewhere I'd like to go. But I've been completely blind sided by the amount of people that wouldn't even leave the country! That I didn't expect. I expected more people to want to try some salt water species that perhaps they hadn't tried and were intrigued by. Or species forign to these lands. Say Zander for example or those Hochie Taimen (Giant Trout) from the "name any species..." thread.

I would think that considering LOTW is on the US border it wouldn't be considered northern ontario but I'm not a geographer. And I somehow doubt you'll be the only boat around.

There have been quite a few for the Brookies too which I didn't expect but to each there own. If im not mistaken the guy who won the leafs there last cup (and then went missing) was on a brookie trip on the creeks that feed James bay.

Giant Hali's off alaska sounds beter than the west coast already!!!!'

Hey Troutpirate what would you be fishing for off New Zealand? GW's like BBJ was talking about?

This thread will be on fire!!!!

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 08-24-2008, 08:03 PM

Golden is one of the local species that I havn't yet caught. I was thinking about going down to the states to target them rather than go after them here.

Them shark fin cats would be a blast too i'm sure. I'm yet to get a cat yet, I was thinking A couple week trip out to toba next year. Buy a boat and hit some of the local waters. LOTW is/was one of the lakes that I'd like to hit while in the region.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:14 PM

NW Ontario, specifically Sioux Lookout area. New lake everyday. Target a different species each day. Has all I want to fish.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullijr View Post
I guess that you have to have been there but sea run brookies in the fall on the creeks flowing into James Bay equal brookies in Lab.Sea run brown trout in Newfoundland.Eagle River salmon.Lake Athabaska lakers and grayling and the list can go on and on
I have done alot of sea trout fishing in nova scotia!!! We fished the spring run though. The locals call it "the strawberry run" because it starts when the strawberries come out! If you like to fish trout in streams an small rivers it's a must I agree!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:19 PM

Costa Rica..........with such a wide variety of species, and some truly large fish and great numbers. They have Black, Blue and Striped Marlin, Sailfish, Roosterfish, Bonefish, and of course Tarpon........some of the biggest in the world, just to name a few.

Feb 17 023 B.jpg

Feb 29 056 B.jpg

Scan10096 B.jpg

Scan10253 B.jpg

IMG_0311 B.jpg
Old 08-24-2008, 09:22 PM

Now thats what I'm talking about!! Costa sounds like the place to be, I've been told that b4 too. That tarpon head is massive!!! Thanks for posting the pics!!!

Old 08-24-2008, 09:49 PM

The reality is that most of us just love to fish. For me, the chance of catching something new, something I've never caught before has perhaps the greatest appeal. And doing it on a flyrod just makes it better. I'm hoping to land a marlin on a fly rod someday..........hopefully it happen this winter when I return to CR......lol
Old 08-24-2008, 10:42 PM

For me thats exactly it too. I realy enjoy going after something new. By next year I think I'll have every species in AB with the exception of Golden trout enless I get a chance to hike in. Goin to LSR to knock Grayling off the list, hopefully get a rocky on that trip too. After that I just need a Bull and a Golden Trout and I've got the AB sport fish slam. Then I'd like to get them all by fly. Fly fishing is something I'm new too but that makes it more interesting and I can take a little more pride in my catch because I know I have much more difficuly fly fishing than I do bait or spin fishing. But sometimes it tests my patients lol.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:57 AM

Narrowing it down to one is tough....I would have to say trout fishing in New Zealand. The island which is less inhabited...where the hobbits went

I know, it is trout and we can get that here but something about the particular beautiful setting and it is supposedly the best in the trout fishing in the world.

I think tarpon or goliath grouper would be close 2nds.

Good on you for chasing the AB species! I don't think you will have much trouble with grayling or bull trout. Both pretty willing to take flies...bulls...pretty much anything on a good day.

Good luck and good fishing!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Shrubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPotch View Post
I am being open minded. Your the ones being closed doors (think about it) "I know what I like" LOL. I'm sure there have been alot of missed opertunities with that kind of attitude.

I'm just giving you the gears over the choices you made. Sorry if I upset anyone. But just cause your cranky and old doesn't mean you can't be swayed to try something new. Personaly I like to try something new! Say catch a species of fish I havn't caught before. Your free to voice your opinions. But in my opinion your limiting yourselfs, kinda like a dream with tunnel vision.

GBL, LOTW, Atha-b, west coast - Are all great fishing destinations and I can guarentee you that I'll have been to each of them before I'm 35.

GBL - Big fish sure but I've caught most if not all the species that the lake has to offer.

You want somewhere secluded, try Bistcho, been there done that. Only company is the bugs and the bears. YAY

I hate the city, small town boy my whole life. Don't have cable or internet at my home. Please feel free to bash me for my opinion or on the choices I made. I started the thread to see what would come up, I'm glad you guy's posted, and by all means stick by your decisions. I had a feeling that there would be lots of wild and crazy things that come up and could possibly make my list of somewhere I'd like to go. But I've been completely blind sided by the amount of people that wouldn't even leave the country! That I didn't expect. I expected more people to want to try some salt water species that perhaps they hadn't tried and were intrigued by. Or species forign to these lands. Say Zander for example or those Hochie Taimen (Giant Trout) from the "name any species..." thread.

I would think that considering LOTW is on the US border it wouldn't be considered northern ontario but I'm not a geographer. And I somehow doubt you'll be the only boat around.

There have been quite a few for the Brookies too which I didn't expect but to each there own. If im not mistaken the guy who won the leafs there last cup (and then went missing) was on a brookie trip on the creeks that feed James bay.

Giant Hali's off alaska sounds beter than the west coast already!!!!'

Hey Troutpirate what would you be fishing for off New Zealand? GW's like BBJ was talking about?

This thread will be on fire!!!!
Sorry dude, my bad...

I completely misread the title I thought it was "If you could fish anywhere...."

Upon closer inspection I've realized it's " If Fisherpotch could fish anywhere....."

Please accept my apologies, sometimes I'm a little south of sane and see things funny

Shrubs
Old 08-25-2008, 08:39 AM

Have done the shark fishing thing and it is awesome. Went up to Valdez Alaska and did a salmon shark hunt. Hooked into 2 monsters. Took 4 of us 2 hrs to get 1 to the boat. Could have kept going as we were allowed 1 each but you basically have to shoot the fish if you bring it to the boat. No guarantee that you can just release it. We didn't want to do that so the captain gave us a free day of halibut fishing. An awesome way to end an awesome day. The next day our captain was taking out 4 guys to fish for these sharks out of kayaks. They were trying to set a world record. Now that is trip. Pulling a 400lb shark out of the water while sitting in a plastic kayak.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:04 PM

Sorry shrubs I can't go back and change the title. No hard feelings.

Fishing for sharks from a Kayak would be just plain crazy!! You know that would get the heart pumping.

Hay SNAP . New Zealand sounds like an adventure, and your the third person to mention it. It sounds like its quite the fishing destination. I'm wondering if this is the same part of new zealand that Troutpirate was speaking of, he never did mention the fish he was after though.
On the AB species note I haven't targeted Bull, Rockies or Grayling yet but I'm confident I should be able to soon, hopefully catch all on the fly rod. Goldens are another story though. Oh ya and there is the one lake (maybe two) that have Dolly's that I'll one day have to get after.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:54 AM

Brown Trout in New Zealand, Taimen in Mongolia, dune buggies on the Baja Peninsula for Roosterfish are all trips I hope to try some time. I have been fortunate enough to go on quite a few different fishing trips and so far Tarpon on the fly has been my highlight with second place going to Bonefish on the fly.

Chet
Old 08-27-2008, 10:49 AM

Default Long way to go!

You can drive 1 hour to catch grayling or rockies, its a test to catch 12 inchers! There is nothing like catching 3 or 4 pound Brown trout up at the Brazeau. Or hike up the Elk River for some big Bull trout.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:24 PM

I'm going to be fishing on Okeechobee in January in the middle of the large mouth spawn. That to me pretty much sums up "if I could fish anywhere"
Old 08-27-2008, 06:11 PM

My top four places would be Mexico for marlin, Queen Charlotte Islands for halibut and monster chinooks, frasier river for sturgeon, and shark fishing off the coast of Australia.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:37 PM

Smile

I have been very lucky and have a wife who loves to travel and doesn't mind if I fish when were on vacation.

So my best places if I could fish anywhere would be Cuba. Some great bonefishing to be done there and some fantastic tarpon fishing as welll
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllll

Second on my list would be Grand Cayman. Again for bonefish. They are skittish as all heck there. But when you get one on they are rockets. Also some big Tarpon there.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllll

The third place I'd like to go is Belize. I haven't been there yet. But they tell me the bone fishing is good. I'll have to put it on my short list. Besides they have some nice honey's that hang around the pools there.

Rob
Old 08-30-2008, 12:26 AM

I would like to try Bonefish as well, and Permit, Barracuda and then over to Europe for some of that monster Pike fishing.. and all done on the fly
Oh and the Fraser Sturgeon.. that has been in my mind for awhile.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:58 AM
Banned

Browns in obed.....but the bikinis do perk my interest...lol
Old 08-30-2008, 04:30 PM

I am going with Big Bad John

Alex
Old 08-31-2008, 12:17 AM

Well something my Dad has wanted to do is catch a big sturgeon - 10 foot+. He was diagnosed with rumatoid arthritus in late '07. So on Sept. 11-13 he, my 2 bros, and I are sturgeon fishing on the Fraser. Figured if he's able we can pick another "have to" fishing destination after that. He's always wanted to catch a really big salmon - or a marlin - maybe tarpon on a fly. You get the picture!
Old 08-31-2008, 10:17 AM

I remember seeing these as a kid... always wanted to catch one...

http://www.travelafricamag.com/content/view/745/72/

They fish them with flies and steel leaders...

http://www.karibahouseboats.com/images/fish/t2lg.jpg

http://www.rackelhanen.se/eng/10216.htm

Other than that... I really want to catch an alligator gar. Love Butt and salmon. Would love to hook into a monster southern smallmouth. Would love to try kite fishing. But not from a kayak...

http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/sharks...arkattack.html

'cuda, marlin... so many fish and really, really little time...
Old 08-31-2008, 08:15 PM

I have been lucky enough to fish the Gulf of Mexico, the pacific around the Hawiian islands, and the Amazon river in brazil for some hard fighting and bizarre fish.

My wish is still to fish the waters around Australia...
Old 01-02-2009, 01:14 AM

Id love to go for some Giant Goliath grouper On the Bembine reef.or near Fort Myers Florida .
Old 01-02-2009, 08:56 AM

Default awsome

what a wicked thread, gets me fired up for fishing again, great photos everyone.

I must say reelign in a huge marlin out of mexico or a big tuna or maybe a really big maui maui get me really fired up.

Or maybe a huge lake trout out of peerless lake.

Or maybe a big old spring salmon or halibut off the west coast.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:58 AM

Default or

But what still gets me out and about is the feeling of having a big old walleye or jack on the end of the line, or looking down your hole in 4 feet of water and having a 28 pound johnny come and take the sardine which happens at tobin quite often, man that is awsome.

Keep the photos coming boys there all great to look at.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:14 AM

The record Alaskan Hali is 480 or something silly like that. The best fish this year was around 430. That's just insane.

For me it would be Kamchatka, hands down. Only a very select few of the rivers there have ever been fished and there are lots of places where fish have never seen a fly. I will go to NZ in the next few years. Argentina would also be one hell of a place.

Without a doubt, the nicest place I've ever been to date is Fortress though. I spent a week in Katmai fishing the Alagnak and the trips and even went up to Nonvianuk Lake (where Gates just bought a $4MM cabin), and Fortress is both nicer and less travelled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0685.jpg (84.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0701.jpg (102.3 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by rustynailz; 01-02-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:42 AM

It has been said by a couple of people already. My vote is Peacock Bass in the amazon on huge top water lures. Super aggressive fish.