Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-20-2017, 11:22 AM

Default Weapon vs Firearm

I have been watching a lot of videos on firearms and gun reviews on youtube lately. Seems like our cousins to the south seem to be obsessed with refering to there firearms as "weapons" I find this strange.

Is this a pop vs soda kinda of thing or do you think there is something a bit deeper to this?

I think we as Canadians think of firearms as tools or recreation equipment. I think the americans think of there firearms literally as weapons that are intended for killing other people. I am not saying that they are wrong in there approach, a person who is assaulted has a right to defend themselves. I just dont think we in Canada approach our firearms use the same as they do. I look forward to the discussion and I am genuinely interested in your opinions. I dont profess to have all the answers on this; just a particular way of looking at something I have observed.

Last edited by markg; 12-20-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:30 AM

I think it boils down to the different legal systems. For example in Canada as soon as you mention you have a weapon you open yourself up to a whole world of legal issues where as in the US you can legally posses a weapon to defend yourself. I remember taking a legal course where the instructor specifically mentioned if a perpetrator has a firearm to call that firearm a weapon in a written report because it sounds more evil to the jury and will more likely result in a conviction. According to our legal system's definitions a firearm is not a weapon until you add malicious intent.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-20-2017, 11:32 AM

I don't like or use the term "weapon" myself, probably because I have no intention of using my firearms as weapons.
I think it's an offensive term to the anti's and does nothing to further the pro gun cause.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:34 AM

It's due to overlapping influences from the military.
Or persons trying to sound like people from the military.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-20-2017, 11:37 AM

Default Good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
It's due to overlapping nfluence from the military.
Or persons trying to sound like people from the military.
I think you might be on to something with this line of thinking. They have very high participation rates in there military relative to population. If there drill instructor always uses the term they likely carry that over into civillian life.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I think you might be on to something with this line of thinking. They have very high participation rates in there military relative to population. If there drill instructor always uses the term they likely carry that over into civillian life.
Try calling a rifle a gun and see how your NCO reacts.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-20-2017, 11:41 AM

The media likes to use "weapon" and especially "assault"' weapon to sensationalize the news.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I think it boils down to the different legal systems. For example in Canada as soon as you mention you have a weapon you open yourself up to a whole world of legal issues where as in the US you can legally posses a weapon to defend yourself. I remember taking a legal course where the instructor specifically mentioned if a perpetrator has a firearm to call that firearm a weapon in a written report because it sounds more evil to the jury and will more likely result in a conviction. According to our legal system's definitions a firearm is not a weapon until you add malicious intent.

This is wrong. Canadian Criminal Code, Section 2 definition reads....

“Weapon” means any thing used, designed to be used or intended for use

(a) in causing death or injury to any person, or
(b) for the purpose of threatening or intimidating any person
and, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, includes a firearm.

As per the Criminal Code a firearm is a "Weapon" regardless of use, design, or intention.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:48 AM

It’s only a weapon when used against another human.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:48 AM

I've wondered the same thing myself, and have taken several people to task on their use of the word "weapon" when referring to firearms. To me, a firearm is just that...much like a hammer drives nails, a golf club hits balls, a knife slices tomatoes. If a person's actions turn one of these inanimate objects into a weapon, that's another story.

I guess what I'm meaning to say is that I think language matters, more here in Canada perhaps. Unfortunately. Watching weekend warrior YouTubers from the US referring to every firearm as a "weapon"~I think that's to be expected. I think it's up to firearm owners to correct people when they hear the word used incorrectly.

While I'm no fan of his really, it brings to mind that Ted Nugent quote; "If guns kill people, then all of mine are defective" (or something along those lines) We're in a climate where BAD gun news is pretty much all there is out there in the media, so any misuse of a word like "weapon" works against us as law-abiding gun owners. Just my opinion.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
^^This.^^

My cast iron frying pan could be a weapon. My sporting rifle could be too, if I used it against a person. Until then, it's sporting equipment.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:53 AM

European hunters often call a firearm a weapon.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Try calling a rifle a gun and see how your NCM reacts.
Being former artillery, it would be your Master Bombadier reacting...

Old 12-20-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
This statement applies to every inanimate object other than a “firearm” or a “prescribed prohibited weapons”,
Old 12-20-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
This statement applies to every inanimate object other than a “firearm” or a “prescribed prohibited weapons”,
Except the definition you quoted out of the Criminal Code says person in every point.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Except the definition you quoted out of the Criminal Code says person in every point.

This definition is read and interpreted in law as followed:

“Weapon”

means any thing used, designed to be used or intended for use

and

without restricting the generality of the foregoing, includes a firearm.

It first describes the conditions needed for "anything" to be deemed a "weapon" and then it further states that a "Weapon" includes a firearm. It does not mean that a firearm needs to be used as described in "a" and "b" to be considered a Weapon.

Take a look at the Criminal Code definition of a firearm

firearm means a barrelled weapon from which any shot, bullet or other projectile can be discharged and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person, and includes any frame or receiver of such a barrelled weapon and anything that can be adapted for use as a firearm;

As per Canadian Law a firearm is always a weapon. I know we readily curse the Media, Police, and Politician for calling a firearm a weapon, but in all honesty they actually have legal justification to use the terminology.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:58 PM

Default firearm Vs Weapon

Using the term "weapon" sets a mental image in the mind of something used to cause harm. The media like to use it gets more attention, Police style carbine boring, Assault Weapon, now that is news worthy.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohn7 View Post
Using the term "weapon" sets a mental image in the mind of something used to cause harm. The media like to use it gets more attention, Police style carbine boring, Assault Weapon, now that is news worthy.
Agreed
Old 12-20-2017, 05:14 PM
Banned

I personally stay away from the term "weapon". I use gun, firearm etc. seeing as though I work on "sporting" arms, not those meant to kill or harm people. And although one isn't supposed to judge a book by it's cover, or judge people, I do and make no apologies for it. If a gangster looking dude came into my shop, I'd show him the door. I deal with "sportsmen and sportswomen". My shop, my call. As a side note and fortunately, I've never had a gangster looking dude approach me.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:22 PM

I have a car it can become a weapon
Old 12-20-2017, 05:26 PM

I would think that the Criminal Code needs to define any firearm as a weapon to simplify enforcement and to make it clear cut. One reason for this would be to ensure that you can't have a gun under any circumstance when you are banned from possessing weapons - unlike an olfa knife that you could have at work but not walk around with in the evening for self defense.

Today I called to check my RPAL status. If I had referred to it as my "weapons licence" I bet that would have not been well received. In practice, I think that framing the public discourse around guns used for sport with the term firearm, rather than weapon, is not only strategic, but more accurate.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2017, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
I have a car it can become a weapon
You bet it can, if one is a drunk driver, a suicidal person or an ISIS member. Otherwise, they too are just a tool to get from point A to B.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:58 PM

I hate the term weapon when referring to a rifle or shot gun. I have some military friends who use the term. I think it poorly represents the tools I use and how I use them. Others view their rifles as self defence and safety security weapons. Each to their own I guess.
Brad
Old 12-20-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I have been watching a lot of videos on firearms and gun reviews on youtube lately. Seems like our cousins to the south seem to be obsessed with refering to there firearms as "weapons" I find this strange.

Is this a pop vs soda kinda of thing or do you think there is something a bit deeper to this?

I think we as Canadians think of firearms as tools or recreation equipment. I think the americans think of there firearms literally as weapons that are intended for killing other people. I am not saying that they are wrong in there approach, a person who is assaulted has a right to defend themselves. I just dont think we in Canada approach our firearms use the same as they do. I look forward to the discussion and I am genuinely interested in your opinions. I dont profess to have all the answers on this; just a particular way of looking at something I have observed.
You need to stop watching so many of the "Tacticool" guys on youtube. Half the time I check out a gun review I can't even finish them because of how ridiculous they sound. It is all semantics and they like the media want to sound all tactical and special forces like when they are just wannabe's who have played too much Call of Duty.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:55 PM

I sometimes call s magazineca clip and eating utensils weapons and my hammer a gun as well .
I guess I am not politically correct !
One thing I don't think I have ever done however is call an armed forces member an "Operator "
Cat
Old 12-20-2017, 10:02 PM

The media likes to call a firearm a 'weapon' because it sounds scarier.
For the same reason, many call the oilsands, the 'tarsands'.
And poachers, 'illegal hunters'.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:36 PM

Just because the law states a firearm is a weapon does not mean that's correct. That was someone's opinion that was made into law. And law or not my firearms are not intended to be used as weapons.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:23 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
[/B]

This is wrong. Canadian Criminal Code, Section 2 definition reads....

“Weapon” means any thing used, designed to be used or intended for use

and, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, includes a firearm.

As per the Criminal Code a firearm is a "Weapon" regardless of use, design, or intention.
Yup kinda like a brown bear is only a grizzly after it attacks or something like that...gotta get a government fella to word it better...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-21-2017, 09:35 AM

I don't know the law or proper English I guess. To me the term "weapon" is a descriptor based on the actual use of an item, the use being to kill or harm someone or something living. So if I shoot you with a gun, the gun is being used as a weapon. Same thing if I hit you with a stick or stab you with a butter knife. All would be weapons. I'm fine with calling a rifle used to shoot a deer a weapon. But it wouldn't be a weapon at a range. My convoluted logic anyway.

Look at it this way. If you purchase a car that has been built for and raced in NASCAR, put lights on it, etc., and you drive it on the street, obeying all laws, is it still a race car?

The bottom line is this... there are no definitions in the world written in stone. Definitions creating meaning and support or don't support a certain intent. "weapon" is an invented concept, mostly negatively viewed today, so anti's want to apply it to firearms.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:06 AM

Perhaps our time would be better spent pouring shame on gun owners that refer to magazines as clips? Of all people, they should know better but .... I own firearms, not weapons.