Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-10-2018, 02:15 PM

Default Slide mounted red dot for a CZ Shadow 2

Howdy,

I am thinking I would like to try IPSC's new "production optics division". I started shooting production last year but only shot 2 matches. I am not that competitive and shoot because I enjoy it. My eyes are not what they were and I was thinking it may be more enjoyable.

I am considering the following:
-Leupold DeltaPoint Pro Reflex 2.5 ($529 @ bullseye london)
-C-MORE STS2 ($499 @ freedom ventures)
-Vortex Venom ($360 @ cabelas / $286 @ amazon.ca)

Does anyone have an opinion on any of these or other slide mounted red dots up to about $500.00 range? Specifically, how they would hold up to being mounted on the slide?

Production optics rules say that the optic must be mounted to the factory dovetail so frame mounting is not an option.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2018, 04:17 PM

I have a Vortex Venom purchased from Amazon, can't beat that price, mounted on a shadow 2, I went with a Springer Precision mount (they ship to Canada) and was cheaper than a CZ custom, Tenda & Select Shooting supplies were out of stock of the CZ mount so it wasn't an option, I be leive the shadow 2 cut is specific to the shadows so make sure you order the correct one, iirc the vortex, Burris fastfire and another use the same mounting pattern, a quick Google search will show you which ones are the same, i have atleast 500 rounds with mine and no issues, holds zero, my daughter has a burris fastfire 3 on a Beretta clone with more rounds than mine with no issues, both seem to be great I personally like the wider glass on the vortex, ymmv, I did have to use a couple shims that I made from a pop can with my Springer Precision mount as it slid in without much resistance but has not moved yet and I don't think it will in the future. Hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:48 AM

Sureshot, that helps a lot! Great info, thanks!!
Old 01-11-2018, 08:23 AM

You just have to decide what size moa dot you prefer, I personally like the 3moa dots. I had a burris fastfire with an 8moa and sold it for a 3moa.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot73 View Post
You just have to decide what size moa dot you prefer, I personally like the 3moa dots. I had a burris fastfire with an 8moa and sold it for a 3moa.
Great, thanks. I have a vortex razor on a 45-70 that is 3 moa so that is what I was thinking. The dot is plenty big. I think I will use that one for now.

I just talked to Henning and he said they have a shadow 1 / 2 mount in the works for the Razor / RTS2 and he said it should be ready next week. He said they will be shipping them to Freedom Ventures which is great because they are awesome to deal with. I think I will give that mount a try. I assume it will be similar to this one:
https://www.henningshop.com/Detail.a...8327&CAT=10024

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited by darren32; 01-11-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:03 AM

There has been a lot of discussion about the new division on the IPSC Alberta forum one of the threads has a list of the new rules I would go there and have a read and make sure that your mount complies with the rule set. I know most pistol guys run a 6MOA.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
There has been a lot of discussion about the new division on the IPSC Alberta forum one of the threads has a list of the new rules I would go there and have a read and make sure that your mount complies with the rule set. I know most pistol guys run a 6MOA.
Thank you, yes I did read that and it appears any of the Henning / EGW / Springer dovetail mounts will be OK by the new rules.

I am going to go to Q13 on Jan 21, they will be running a production optics division. Hopefully there will be some people in it and I will see what they are running.

I think I will just order a Henning mount for the red dot I have from freedom ventures and go from there.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:30 PM

My daughters .38super STI Trubor is running the Cmore with well north of 40,000 rounds and no problems. If your serious about IPSC i would follow the old adage of buy once cry once and spend the money. Nothing worse than breaking down mid stage over sup par gear.... even if it has a good warranty
Old 01-11-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps.257 View Post
My daughters .38super STI Trubor is running the Cmore with well north of 40,000 rounds and no problems. If your serious about IPSC i would follow the old adage of buy once cry once and spend the money. Nothing worse than breaking down mid stage over sup par gear.... even if it has a good warranty
Would you mind asking her what load she runs in it? I have an old STI Trubor (grandmaster) in .38 super. I have a load with SR4756 but don't have any more ..... and they have not made it for a long time. Looking for something to try as I am not having much luck with HS6. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 01-11-2018, 07:49 PM

I have milled some slides to fit trijicon dots and the are holding up
Old 02-14-2018, 04:03 PM

I ended up going with the Henning mount from Freedom Ventures with the vortex venom I already had. The mount is really nice. Fits very tight, I had to file it a little bit to get it to press in. I don't think it's going anywhere. Will give it a try tomorrow (hopefully).

Old 02-27-2018, 03:48 PM

Just a quick follow up in case someone searches this subject.

800 rounds and the Henning mount has been rock solid. I have not yet used loctite on anything. I will but with the amount of force required to install the mount I am not sure it is necessary.

The Venom red dot has not move since initial adjustment and like sureshot, I like the wider glass.

It's a nice set up, I like it.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:22 PM

Looks good!!