Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 04:32 PM

Default Hairline crack in shotgun stock

Hey guys, I apologize if this has already been discussed. I just bought a JW - 2000 side-by-side coach gun from Canadian Tire. I inspected thoroughly in the store under the bright lights and all seemed fine, so I told them to box it up. Got it home, put it together, and gave it another once-over, and in the low light, I caught a glimpse of a very slight shadow on the stock, and when I looked closer I found what looks like a super fine, ~1" hairline crack behind the right side plate above the triggers. I called Canadian Tire to see if I could bring it back, and lo and behold, they have a strict "all sales final" policy on firearms. So I own it. Not a big deal. It's just a cheapie, fun gun that's only going to get beat up anyway, but I don't want it to run and fall apart either.

I guess what I'm asking is
1) Does it even NEED to be fixed? Or is it just part of the grain/character of the stock? and..
2) If it needs to be fixed, what is the best glue/method to repair a fine hairline crack?

http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/10...b.jpg.html?o=1

http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/10....jpeg.html?o=0

Last edited by 10aciousB; 01-11-2018 at 05:00 PM. Reason: photos not uploading
Old 01-11-2018, 06:22 PM
Banned

no warranty?
Old 01-11-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
no warranty?
It's a Norinco, and the warranty information online is scarce at best, plus I've heard horror stories of half-year turn around times for repairs. Given the minor nature of the problem - if it'a even a problem at all - I'd just as soon not send it anywhere and do the fix myself if needed.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:32 PM

Pull the lock and see where it originates from, then relieve the spot, and run some thin CA glue in the crack behind the lock and on the outside. see if you can pin thru the crack to stop it from growing.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:12 PM

That is not a minor crack and will get worse. Personally I would send it back to Norinco for repair or send them pictures and get them to send you a replacement stock. If you want to use the existing stock in the meantime, relieve the action area so the action fits properly and glue the crack. I would also skim coat the surfaces with a glass bedding compound.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:59 PM

If you decide to repair it yourself, do not use CA glue on a stock. CA glue sets up to quickly and will not penetrate. Use slow setting epoxy tinned down with alcohol.
Vic
Old 01-12-2018, 02:55 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Pull it apart, stop drill the crack, epoxy the rest, find the point that is putting the stress on that area and sand it down.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-13-2018, 09:59 AM

Did you pay CT Cash or CC?
Check your CC for any consumer protection policy if your concerned.
As mentioned some preventative may go along way in this lasting a few years.
Rob
Old 01-14-2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic1 View Post
If you decide to repair it yourself, do not use CA glue on a stock. CA glue sets up to quickly and will not penetrate. Use slow setting epoxy tinned down with alcohol.
Vic
CA comes in many forms from gel to super thin wicking/penetrating . I have repaired many bows and gun stocks with CA, Just pick the right one for the job at hand.