Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-31-2009, 01:24 AM

Default Anyone fish Lake Shuswap?

I am heading there Sunday morning for 7 days. I was going to bring along a few fishing lures and give it a go, albeit not expecting much success. I figure there isnt much point bringing any of my small spinners and spoons seeing as how everything out there is single/barbless hooks. And I dont imagine there will be any fish near the surface.

I wont be using downriggers, but have caught lakers in the past slow trolling a variety of apex lures with a few oz's of weight.

As mentioned, I have a few apex lures in the 2.5-4" range, and weight up to 4oz. I know this isnt ideal, but it's as good as its going to get for this trip.

I also have a few buzzbombs that I have read can be used for jigging somewhat effectively. Does anyone have any suggestions for what else I can buy (either locally here in Calgary) or perhaps once I get there that has caught fish on that lake. I will be in a inflatable and likely only trolling early in morning and before dark, and perhaps jigging if I can mark any fish.

Any help would be great.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:20 PM

I have a friend there and troll whenever I'm staying at his cabin. The larger the apex the better and I have had good luck with large spoons as well. I have used up to 12 oz. slip weights but mostly I use 6oz. and troll at 1.8 to 2.3 MPH. near the shore in about 80 to 100 feet of water. The past three years I've been using dipsy divers and have had better success with them. If going the DD route a rod holder is a must as there is considerable pull on the rod at all times. With the DD I use a line counter level wind and a downrigger rod with braid line. I get both lakers and rainbows and the odd dolly. Every fall we fish a derby there with downriggers off house boats and that is the best way I have found to get the big fish. I normally fish the Shuswap arm as I'm in a 12 foot aluminum and don't venture all that far from the cabin. Have fun. Rick.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:15 PM

I read this website when fishing the shuswap all the time.. GREAT GUY And gives awesome tips

http://www.reelfishingadventures.net/
Old 11-25-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprime27 View Post
I read this website when fishing the shuswap all the time.. GREAT GUY And gives awesome tips

http://www.reelfishingadventures.net/
I am also a big fan of Sheldons. He has taught me many things about fishing those waters and have now, put different spins on his techniques. A definite good read for first timers out there. It will give you an idea anyways...Good luck