Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-10-2011, 08:33 PM

Default Fishing the Athabasca River

Are there any good spots around the town of Athabasca to fish the Athabasca River? Preferably a place within walking distance in town but I'm game for driving out of town too just to catch some walleyes from the river.

And has anyone ate the walleyes out of the river? I know rivers usually have a pretty harsh stigma for being dirty.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:37 PM

i havent fished the athabasca this year but last year if you walked a bit up or down stream you find some pools. pools are the deep slower water...cast a silvr or gold spoon across it and yull get results with bull trout. the whitefish are in there too just use nymphs along bottom..
havent caugth awalleye in there and didnt think they were present in there i guess im wrong
Old 04-10-2011, 10:09 PM

I had the chance to fish the Athabasca River with Ray from Reel Angling Adventures(AO Sponsor) on the last day of the season in 2010.
With the use of a boat Ray put us on some amazing holes that produced big walleye and pike. The biggest walleye we caught that day was 9 lbs 3 oz.
I'm not sure how well you would do by shore fishing though. If you get a chance I would highly recommend Ray.

www.reelangling.com

Oh yeah as far as the taste of the fish. We kept 2 average size walleye that day amongst us. They were as good of tasting walleye as you will ever have.

Here are a few pics that I took of my buddy that day.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 04-10-2011, 10:16 PM

Nice Fish!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:24 PM

Wow nice fishes!! The walleyes are as big as the pike!!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:24 PM

Very Nice .. Grats .. Bulls and Bows up here Hinton creek mouths(holes) till river dirtys up..rmwf..grayling, burbots ,pike
Old 04-11-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
i havent fished the athabasca this year but last year if you walked a bit up or down stream you find some pools. pools are the deep slower water...cast a silvr or gold spoon across it and yull get results with bull trout. the whitefish are in there too just use nymphs along bottom..
havent caugth awalleye in there and didnt think they were present in there i guess im wrong
the athabasca is a big river system.... the closer to the mountians your into bulls and rockies, as you get away from the mountians the bulls and rockies will be replaced by pike, walleye, burbot, etc... i would think the town of athabasca would be a prodominately cool water fishery( pike and walleye ) as opposed to a cold water fishery( bulls and rockies ). could be wrong.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:12 PM

no yud be right because i havent fished the lower athabasca only the one near jasper