Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-07-2016, 06:24 PM

Default Anyone Fishing the Bow Lately?

Has anyone fished the bow river lately? I'd love to make the trip to Calgary to try my luck, but am curious if its worth the trip from edm. Thinking of going this coming weekend.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:03 PM

I've been fishing the bow for the last month and has been fishing very well for us, lots of big thick bows being caught. Both streamers and nymphs are working well.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:21 AM

Worth the trip I'd say. Buggers worked well for us last week.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:30 AM

went floating this past sunday and it was fishing very good. worth the trip id say
Old 03-09-2016, 12:12 PM

thinking of floating one of the stretches between Calgary and carsland this weekend. does anyone know what ice conditions are like further downstream?
Old 03-09-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikediz View Post
thinking of floating one of the stretches between Calgary and carsland this weekend. does anyone know what ice conditions are like further downstream?
mckinnons is closed
Old 03-09-2016, 06:03 PM

If you dont mind sharing, what flys have been doing you guys well. Ive been out many times this winter, and the flys that were doing good last winter aren't producing so well this winter. Are they onto anything specific, or is it more just a matter of finding them. Thats not to say i haven't caught some nice fish this winter, just not the numbers and in the same places that i had last winter.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WINCHESTER View Post
If you dont mind sharing, what flys have been doing you guys well. Ive been out many times this winter, and the flys that were doing good last winter aren't producing so well this winter. Are they onto anything specific, or is it more just a matter of finding them. Thats not to say i haven't caught some nice fish this winter, just not the numbers and in the same places that i had last winter.
smelts, sardines and ull get the numbers
Old 03-10-2016, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the replies. Robson3954: wooley or bow river? Crystal maybe?
Old 03-10-2016, 09:18 PM

Cone head wooley; white and black worked.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfry View Post
mckinnons is closed
Until April 15 I heard. Any idea why?
Old 03-11-2016, 08:41 AM

I talked to a CO last year about this - the only real explanations he gave were that they were have significant issues with dumping and litter there in the winter and that people were driving down and not able to get back up (I assume he meant because of the snow/ice and no winter road maintenance).

Does anyone know if carseland is open? I know the park is open, but the launch ice-free?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany View Post
I talked to a CO last year about this - the only real explanations he gave were that they were have significant issues with dumping and litter there in the winter and that people were driving down and not able to get back up (I assume he meant because of the snow/ice and no winter road maintenance).

Does anyone know if carseland is open? I know the park is open, but the launch ice-free?

Thanks
A couple weeks ago there was too much ice (shelf) in the little channel to get across to the island. The actual launch was dry.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:56 PM

Has anyone done any spin casting instead of fly fishing? We have been down to the bonnybrook bridge area and people seem be catching smaller rainbows and browns on spoons and buzz bombs. Anyone else having better luck on lures instead of flies? Or are flies the way to go?
Old 03-15-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foshizzle13 View Post
Has anyone done any spin casting instead of fly fishing? We have been down to the bonnybrook bridge area and people seem be catching smaller rainbows and browns on spoons and buzz bombs. Anyone else having better luck on lures instead of flies? Or are flies the way to go?
flies are the only way to go
Old 03-15-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikediz View Post
I do not know about ice conditions, but I am pretty sure Mackinnon Flats is closed until April 1.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfry View Post
flies are the only way to go
Ya, what we have kind of figured.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:55 PM

McKinnons is "closed" but if you go there on any given day you'll see 5+ vehicles and a wide open gate.

There is still some ice shelves but I floated from Policemans to Mckinnons last weekend no problem. Just avoid the rough water.

Ps, also highly recommend you plan your exit before starting your float. Like I said, lots of shore locked up in ice. But there is a nice little nook right infront of Mckinnons you can pull into. No way you're getting a boat in there though, kayaks and inflatables.