Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-07-2016, 10:28 AM

Default New 4 wgt Sage VS G. Loomis?

I've been shopping around for a new rod to replace a 4 wgt that I have. 2 models I've been looking at are from Sage and from G. Loomis. I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with warranty issues with either company?
Old 03-07-2016, 10:45 AM

Sage has always been good to me. It might take longer if you send it in during peak season but all in all pretty good. Downside is the cost now. My last one was over $100.00
Old 03-07-2016, 11:28 AM

Since you are from Calgary I would consider a TFO just for the warranty convenience. I hate sending my rods away and waiting until they are finished with them, plus the high costs now. Quick trip to the shop and $25 and your back in businesss.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:22 PM

Not sure on your budget but I casted a Helios 2 in a 4 wt and bought one on Boxing Day. It's a delicate laser beam. The recon is supposed to be good too.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:30 AM

Which models are you looking at?

I have always been a believer that the way the rod performs for you is more important than the warranty.

My experience with all of the rod manufacturers warranty service have been generally great with a few hiccups here and there (I had been in the fly fishing industry for 20+ years at a few shops here in Calgary and guiding)

TFO definitely have their place but I believe more people buy them for their warranty. I know a couple of shops in Calgary will lend you a rod until you get yours back from the manufacturer. Like Troutfitters have some demo and school rods from Winston or Loop if you real your Winston or Loop rod......
Old 03-08-2016, 07:45 AM

Helios is a sweet rod....but they are fragile. I know a couple of guys who have sent in 7 in the last 3 years. Pricey to send the whole rod to Vermont each time.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:38 AM

Original poster here..... thanks for all the replies.

A little more info here.....

My budget isn't set in stone, but I'd say $500 for a starting point, rod only. I currently have a lower end TFO 4 wgt, which I've enjoyed, but I'm wanting to buy myself an upgrade for my upcoming 50th BD.

Most of my fishing is for trout on my float tube. I know there are a lot of good quality rods out there, but I'm not sure I can justify the cost of a $1000 fly rod before a new reel, spools, and lines. $500? Maybe I can justify that lol!

I've read a few other posts on similar topics.... Sage, G Loomis, Orvis..... the list of quality rods goes on and on. For some companies, $500 would be their top end rods.... for someone like Sage, it would be their low end rods. I may be getting a little grey, but I'm open to learning something.... anyone care to educate me on some choices I have?
Old 03-08-2016, 09:54 AM

There's a used Sage z axis for sale on Ebay
Old 03-08-2016, 10:59 AM

PierowAy rods made in Calgary. Get a custom rod
Old 03-08-2016, 12:25 PM

Lots of good rods in your price range, go cast a few and see works well with your casting style

Not sure about the "custom rod" idea- paying for a "bedazzled" rod that could be invested in a good line quality line will enhance the performance of the rod
Old 03-08-2016, 07:23 PM

For float tube fishing I really like my 10ft TFO BVK. The extra ft. is really nice in a 'tube.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:29 PM

Loop dropped a new series of rods called Evotec cast. They have 4wts in medium action and medium fast. I'd check them out if I were you
Old 03-08-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Original poster here..... thanks for all the replies.

A little more info here.....

My budget isn't set in stone, but I'd say $500 for a starting point, rod only. I currently have a lower end TFO 4 wgt, which I've enjoyed, but I'm wanting to buy myself an upgrade for my upcoming 50th BD.

Most of my fishing is for trout on my float tube. I know there are a lot of good quality rods out there, but I'm not sure I can justify the cost of a $1000 fly rod before a new reel, spools, and lines. $500? Maybe I can justify that lol!

I've read a few other posts on similar topics.... Sage, G Loomis, Orvis..... the list of quality rods goes on and on. For some companies, $500 would be their top end rods.... for someone like Sage, it would be their low end rods. I may be getting a little grey, but I'm open to learning something.... anyone care to educate me on some choices I have?
I love 4wts but always grab a 5 or even a 6 when tubing or on the pontoon. It always seems the big ones are rising upwind and just out of reach whenever I grab a 4 for the lake. As mentioned, a longer rod is handy too like a 9'6" or even a 10'.

There are often times that streamers or a strike indicator will save the day when the bite is slow. A 5 or 6 will turn over a lot more junk than a 4.

I have become a huge fan of South Korean rods like the Hardy's and Loop. Have a Zenith and Opti-stream in the house and both are keepers.

I have a few Sage rods that I really like. A used ZXL or Z-Axis should be in your price range and both are excellent rods. I have read enough good reviews about the NRX that I would grab one if I saw a good deal and the young fellow had a ProX4 that he really liked.

You should really try a few before deciding. There are many very good rods in the $500 range.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritofr View Post
Which models are you looking at?

I have always been a believer that the way the rod performs for you is more important than the warranty.

My experience with all of the rod manufacturers warranty service have been generally great with a few hiccups here and there (I had been in the fly fishing industry for 20+ years at a few shops here in Calgary and guiding)

TFO definitely have their place but I believe more people buy them for their warranty. I know a couple of shops in Calgary will lend you a rod until you get yours back from the manufacturer. Like Troutfitters have some demo and school rods from Winston or Loop if you real your Winston or Loop rod......
Listen to this guy.
I absolutely agree with all that he has stated.
Regarding justifying the cost of the top level rods... boys can always find a way to justify anything. Its just the way it is.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:25 AM

I picked up a new Sage VPX 5wt 10ft a few years ago for indicator fishing from my canoe and it's now my go to for that purpose. Was thinking about 4wt but needed to be able to turn over the indicator and two leeches in the wind, as well as bring in the 18 to 20+ inchers in a reasonable time frame.

Question for all: Why does Sage put out classics like the XP, or the VXP and then immediately discontinue production?
Old 03-09-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Question for all: Why does Sage put out classics like the XP, or the VXP and then immediately discontinue production?
how are you going to buy the newest and greatest if you just bought the newest and greatest last year.... no difference than anything in consumer goods, IE cars, bows, cameras
Old 03-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Banned

Default new and improved...

Occasionally the technology of materials changes and there is a jump in rod performance, but mostly I think it is a tweak of the taper and a fresh paint job resulting in a "new and improved" rod.
Does a new rod improve our ability to catch fish? Maybe. If we "think" its better... it is.

I have a tough time believing that many of us have bought our "last" fly rod.

Because we continually search for "the" rod I often wonder about those that are wrapped up in "lifetime warrantees".
I doubt that many avid fly fishermen are still regularly using a rod that they've had for 10 yr. or more. 20+ yr old rods? Probably never see the light of day. What practical purpose is a lifetime warrantee if the rod never gets used? Peace of mind I suppose.
These are only my opinions. Its possible that there are those veteran fly fishermen that have had one or two rods since they took up the sport and are content with that, but I think they are few.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
Occasionally the technology of materials changes and there is a jump in rod performance, but mostly I think it is a tweak of the taper and a fresh paint job resulting in a "new and improved" rod.
Does a new rod improve our ability to catch fish? Maybe. If we "think" its better... it is.

I have a tough time believing that many of us have bought our "last" fly rod.

Because we continually search for "the" rod I often wonder about those that are wrapped up in "lifetime warrantees".
I doubt that many avid fly fishermen are still regularly using a rod that they've had for 10 yr. or more. 20+ yr old rods? Probably never see the light of day. What practical purpose is a lifetime warrantee if the rod never gets used? Peace of mind I suppose.
These are only my opinions. Its possible that there are those veteran fly fishermen that have had one or two rods since they took up the sport and are content with that, but I think they are few.
I have to agree...
Old 03-09-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Occasionally the technology of materials changes and there is a jump in
I doubt that many avid fly fishermen are still regularly using a rod that they've had for 10 yr. or more. 20+ yr old rods? Probably never see the light of day.
I still use Sage Graphite IIs and III they are from the late 80's early 90's I have met a few avid fly fisherman that specifically use the original Sages because of the quality of the rod and the feel of the action. I blew up a 20 year old Sage GFL 486-2 just a year ago.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I still use Sage Graphite IIs and III they are from the late 80's early 90's I have met a few avid fly fisherman that specifically use the original Sages because of the quality of the rod and the feel of the action. I blew up a 20 year old Sage GFL 486-2 just a year ago.
I know that there are a few rods that stand the test of time. Sounds like you found "the" rod/action that you enjoy the most. Good on you.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I know that there are a few rods that stand the test of time. Sounds like you found "the" rod/action that you enjoy the most. Good on you.
I'm a Sage junky, got a huge quiver full of Sages from every generation. Some days I'll have a ONE and LL out and some days it will be a XP and a ZXL
Old 03-09-2016, 05:00 PM

Since not even 50% of people commenting can't seem to actually answer your question. I'll just say I haven't had to use sages warranty but I love the 4wt rod I have from them.

Love how guys asks about sage and gloomis and get 1/2 comments about every other brand
Old 03-09-2016, 05:23 PM
Banned

He asked about people who have dealt with Sage or Loomis warrantees and what they felt about them. He did not ask about who likes what rod. So I guess you also join the list of those who did not answer his question.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:35 PM

I atleast admit I didn't deal with warranty and gave input to one company on how I liked the rod
Old 03-09-2016, 05:41 PM
Banned

I also will admit I have not dealt with Sage or Loomis warrantees.
This could be a long list.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:42 PM

I have had a Sage for a few years now and have broke it twice both times my fault

the warranty took about 6 to 8 weeks and I sent in only part of rod

I was impressed with the service

I have a 5#/6 weight and love it

nothing but good to say about the rod n reels and service and warranty

David

Old 03-09-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
I have had a Sage for a few years now and have broke it twice both times my fault

the warranty took about 6 to 8 weeks and I sent in only part of rod

I was impressed with the service

I have a 5#/6 weight and love it

nothing but good to say about the rod n reels and service and warranty

David

Hey Speckle an honest question. How come you spool your line like that? Just a question, no attack meant! Cheer
Oh and nice white!
Old 03-09-2016, 06:36 PM
Banned

Default on the ball...

Nice catch, Fly Theory.
It took me a second after reading your post to figure out what was different.