Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-27-2022, 11:20 AM

Default Undersubcribed Tag

Question for you guys. Has anyone ever surrender an undersubcribed tag they won't be using?

I bought an undersubcribed antlered moose tag for a fly in hunt I was going to go on at the end of September. The lake I was going to now has fires all around it and we are postponing until next year now.

Pretty sure the answer is no about giving the tag back but I thought I'd ask.

I will be calling and asking F&W.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2022, 11:39 AM

I am positive that isn't an option. Sucks the area got burned, will make good moose habitat next year and for quite a few after. Is there nowhere else in the same WMU that isn't burned?
Old 08-28-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I am positive that isn't an option. Sucks the area got burned, will make good moose habitat next year and for quite a few after. Is there nowhere else in the same WMU that isn't burned?
We are headed WMU 532. I'm sure we could drop camp on different lake but there are fires and smoke everywhere. The bigger lake that we originally planned on now has fires in three sides.
I am friends with a guy thats letting me use his boat and cabin on his lake up there.
You are right about the fire making great feed and habitat for next year.
Disappointing putting it off but we feel its the best choice at this time. Just need to wait another year is all.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2022, 10:03 AM

Nope would be the short answer about turning back a tag.
Until you get up there you will not know for sure, 532 is not really that small an area, you may find that it is not all burned, and that there are still moose in the area.
Cat
Old 08-28-2022, 10:08 AM

Given the right conditions a fire can be really beneficial for new growth and quite often wildlife thrives afterwards.

I was thinking the big fire of 2016 would bring some great hunting around Fort McMurray. Maybe because it’s so far north new growth has been slowed. 6 years later and most areas where the fire went through are dead zones as far as wildlife go. I’ve spent dozens of days hunting and just walking areas where the fire went through without hardly seeing a track. As soon as I get into an area where the fire missed I’ll see signs of life.

So, depending on conditions a wildfire is not always beneficial.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Given the right conditions a fire can be really beneficial for new growth and quite often wildlife thrives afterwards.

I was thinking the big fire of 2016 would bring some great hunting around Fort McMurray. Maybe because it’s so far north new growth has been slowed. 6 years later and most areas where the fire went through are dead zones as far as wildlife go. I’ve spent dozens of days hunting and just walking areas where the fire went through without hardly seeing a track. As soon as I get into an area where the fire missed I’ll see signs of life.

So, depending on conditions a wildfire is not always beneficial.
are you hunting the edges and fingers?

growth wont be back for a while in the middle where the fire was the hottest. The fingers and edges should hold lots of game.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
are you hunting the edges and fingers?

growth wont be back for a while in the middle where the fire was the hottest. The fingers and edges should hold lots of game.
If it’s green there’s animals and if it’s burnt it’s void of tracks. The only benefit the fire was up here is it condensed what animals are around into smaller green sections.

That’s just my opinion. I’m sure someone will be around shortly to say the opposite. I’ve got no problem consistently seeing and getting game just not in burnt areas.
Old 08-28-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
If it’s green there’s animals and if it’s burnt it’s void of tracks. The only benefit the fire was up here is it condensed what animals are around into smaller green sections.

That’s just my opinion. I’m sure someone will be around shortly to say the opposite. I’ve got no problem consistently seeing and getting game just not in burnt areas.
My findings as well.
Cat
Old 09-01-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Nope would be the short answer about turning back a tag.
Until you get up there you will not know for sure, 532 is not really that small an area, you may find that it is not all burned, and that there are still moose in the area.
Cat
Checked in with my friend and the forestry has sprinklers on this cabin roofs. Fires on three sides of the lake. Not really interested in going to a different lake for a drop camp, just hold off until next year.
Old 09-02-2022, 03:37 PM

Cat and Posi, I agree with you, my partner and I have shot more than 90 moose in our 60 years of hunting. We never shot a Single One in a burned area, at least not for about 60+ years of regrowth.
Fires are great to regrow a forest, but takes almost 100 years , most of us cannot wait that long for our next hunting trip.