Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2012, 12:41 PM

Default Television/Dish Problem

Need a little help here if any Telus people or TV Techs are on board. Our TV has been shutting down every now and then. When it shuts off thats it. Neither the controller or manual on/off has any effect. After a period it comes back on by itself as if you switched it on with the controller. Goes boing etc. Its almost as if its shutting down for a safety reason like over heating but it will do it shortly after turning on and when it comes back on again its good for hours. I have been in contact with Telus and they don't think they are the problem even though I had no problems with a previous provider. I've had Telus for about 3 months and had no problems until a month ago. I'm wondering if some button on the controller may have a function such as this. This is a last cry for help before heading out for a new TV as my wife is ready to do a hammer job. This one is a 32 in Samsung about 6-7 yrs old. I'll probably buy at costco as their return policy and warranty is hard to beat.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:42 PM

Sounds more like a power supply problem than your dish. Is it powering off OR are you just losing picture and sound?
Old 11-07-2012, 01:52 PM

Default dish

I have telus and everynite at 3.00 am it automatically downloads new info. Sounds like yours is doing this erraticly or the timer is not working . A tech on the help line can direct you to this function and correct it if needed. Piker
Old 11-07-2012, 03:15 PM

Be aware that Costco has TVs specifically designed for them!! They may be the same make and model as what you can buy else where, but they are not of the same quality and do not have the same features!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
I'll probably buy at costco as their return policy and warranty is hard to beat.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Be aware that Costco has TVs specifically designed for them!! They may be the same make and model as what you can buy else where, but they are not of the same quality and do not have the same features!!!!
Considering they have twice as long a warranty period as anyone else, I have serious doubts they are poorer quality.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:31 PM

Some Telus equipment have a automatic shut down to save energy. This is the default setting. We had Telus turn this setting off and now everything works fine.

My $0.02 worth.
Dodger.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:27 PM

Absolutely they are!! It's well established and has been known for a long time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain View Post
Considering they have twice as long a warranty period as anyone else, I have serious doubts they are poorer quality.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:41 PM

Dodger has described what this thing is doing. The TV shuts off like its a safety feature and nothing fires it up, only a wait. Today after quitting for an hour and a half I disconnected the power plugged it in and selected TV and dish and it worked for a short time. Pulled the plug again and got it started, shut down momentarily a couple of times and then came on and stayed on. We do not touch any settings just leave the TV and controller on when it quits. I did, of course, use the controller after pulling the plug. Damn confusing. Wheres the links to Costco TV's being inferior as model # and specs seem to be the same. Oh yeah, Ive already talked to a Telus Tech about this and he thinks its the TV. Costcos return policy may also come in handy if Telus turns out to be the culprit. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:44 PM

My dad had trouble for a long time and turned out it was a poor connection from the receiver to the tv. Put new ends on & voila. Good luck!!!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:28 AM

Tried checking all the connections for the cable as Skidderman suggested and found that the Telus installer used all new ones including putting a new one on my feed line. This receiver has a splitter going to the back. Loosening and retightening the connections may have worked as I started it up a couple times last night and three this morning with no faults. Wife usually watches the news in the AM and shuts down until news at noon. She had most problems on the second or third start of the day. Now we play a waiting game. Roads are crap anyway so will do more research on TV's. Can't find anything on the Costco warnings and they have some good reviews on a LG LED 42 incher. Go figure, now the wife wants a TV for Xmas.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Absolutely they are!! It's well established and has been known for a long time!
I do stand to be corrected, I assume you have some links to evidence?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:57 AM

X2. Does this pertain to all electrical devices such as computers,cameras, washers, dryers etc because runour just doesn't cut it. I like the 90 day return and 2yr warranty feature as I never opt for extended warranties.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:36 AM

Everything I've found online says they do NOT make poorer quality stuff for Costco, urban myth. They change the model numbers for SOME TV's, but not the components.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Banned

I think most tv manufacturers have been sued over cheap components - mainly capacitors. Samsung had a huge issue with tv's power boards where the tv would flick on and off for a bit before it actually powered up. Leaky capacitors were the cause for many tv failures.

Samsung for example, was not forthcoming on warranty. I've fixed a few of these tv's, easy but it shouldn't be necessary.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:33 AM

Still looking at getting a reference, but my bro has a Sharp Aquos purchased from Costco, a friend of ours has that exact same model that was not purchased at Costco... Totally different features (menus/submenus,. etc)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain View Post
I do stand to be corrected, I assume you have some links to evidence?
Old 11-08-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Still looking at getting a reference, but my bro has a Sharp Aquos purchased from Costco, a friend of ours has that exact same model that was not purchased at Costco... Totally different features (menus/submenus,. etc)...
I've noticed that the Lethbridge Costco gets older models than the big box electronic stores, maybe it's a model year issue you've noticed.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:55 AM

Oh and don't get me started on the inferior quality of the razor blades they sell!! I get almost 2 weeks from the same brand/model from the ones I buy at London Drugs, and don't even get one week from the same brand/model from Costco!!

Old 11-08-2012, 12:49 PM

Silverdoctor. You may have nailed this down. Wife went down at noon and had the same problem I'm complaining about. When it quit she pulled the power plug and got me. I plugged it back in TV came on, went off two three times and finally came on to stay. I held the TV button down lomger than usual but don't know if that helped or not when it finally stayed on. This is a Samsung. New TV shortly will tell the tale, I guess. I'll update after we try a new TV if the problem is with Telus.