Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2021, 05:07 PM

Default Garage door openers

Lads,
Bought me a nice house here in Medicine hat and it only came with one garage door opener. 24 year old doors made by Craftsman sears brand, don't know where to look for a new opener. Does anyone know if there is a Universal opener that would work? thank FS
Old 12-08-2021, 05:11 PM

I had a bud who used to install garage doors and openers and he mentioned that Chamberlain made a good product. I think some of the other big brand names re-label their stuff as well.

I've seen them at the big box stores and they regularly go on sale.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:43 PM

Do you mean the remote? If so type the model # into Amazon and you will find a universal replacement. I did this for a rebranded Chamberlain and it programmed perfectly.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:52 PM
Banned

We bought a new home in May this year it has a three-car garage, with only 2 remotes so I purchased a universal one at Canadian Tire for the Chamberlain, it was easy to program and works well.

About two weeks ago the garage door would not close properly so I called Chamberlain, they were super helpful and we determined after testing that it was a sensor issue, they sent me new sensors for FREE even though I did not purchase the opener!

I installed the new sensors yesterday everything works perfectly now.

Cheers N40
Old 12-08-2021, 05:59 PM

If you are talking about the remote, I threw out my Sears opener last year and still have the remote ( its about the same vintage).
Shoot me a PM with your email or phone and i can send a pic of it.
You can have it for free if it's the same.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:21 AM

If you are talking about the opening unit, most of the brands you can buy at big box stores are basically the same with different names. Chamberlain, Craftsman, etc. I went through this process a few months ago for a shed in which I bought an older OH door for, and ended up at lowes when they had a big sale. $210 for a 1/2HP opener, with 2 remotes, and keypad for outside. Pay attention to the height of door though, store kits are made for 7' garage, there is an extension kit for $50-70 if they are 8 or 10' doors.