Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2020, 08:43 PM

Default Art

Made our living selling carvings for 30+ years. Never meant to have things happen that way. Still sell to galleries, gift shops and to private collectors.
Made stuff I liked and the more I liked it, the better the next one turned out.
When I was in my carving shop, the rest of the world did not exist, I was in a space all of my own. The shop window looks over the lake,I felt I was a small part a bigger picture. It is almost like a religion.
If I was making a mistake, it would slowly grow as the carving progressed and I would not notice the mistake. If I made a piece 75% and left it for a few days and looked at it later with fresh eyes, the mistake was very obvious and I could fix and finish. I am starting to babble-time to go.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:54 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
Made our living selling carvings for 30+ years. Never meant to have things happen that way. Still sell to galleries, gift shops and to private collectors.
Made stuff I liked and the more I liked it, the better the next one turned out.
When I was in my carving shop, the rest of the world did not exist, I was in a space all of my own. The shop window looks over the lake,I felt I was a small part a bigger picture. It is almost like a religion.
If I was making a mistake, it would slowly grow as the carving progressed and I would not notice the mistake. If I made a piece 75% and left it for a few days and looked at it later with fresh eyes, the mistake was very obvious and I could fix and finish. I am starting to babble-time to go.
I feel the same! When I start painting, everything around me disappears and I just get into my head and nothing bothers me. Super meditative!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 02-15-2020, 09:15 PM

Neither my wife or myself have an artistic bone in our bodies but my 14 year old daughter puts out some amazing pieces. Not a painting but this is her latest pencil crayon drawing.

Old 02-15-2020, 09:19 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Neither my wife or myself have an artistic bone in our bodies but my 14 year old daughter puts out some amazing pieces. Not a painting but this is her latest pencil crayon drawing.

Wow! She is already amazing at 14 years old! So cool!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 02-15-2020, 10:24 PM

I've enjoyed following this thread, you all are very talented! Myself, not so much. Years ago in junior high art class I did a few interesting drawings, but since then I have definitely lost any creativity I'm afraid.

My mother-in-law on the other hand is very talented. She started into water color painting in the last year or so, and surprised me the other night by inviting my wife and I to an art showing her painting class is putting on in a local library.

I am so blown away by the picture she painted, which is a copy of a photograph my Dad took of me on our recent late-season elk hunt. The painting is my birthday present, I am so excited to get it at the end of the month when the showing is over!

This was the original picture, she also used a second photo from the trip to do the background of the painting.

Old 02-16-2020, 02:32 AM

I'm amazed by all the contributions so far. One of the bobs who posted a link on page one, had some nice photos to share with us all. I wonder who all saw them lol.

I collect originals of Leonid Afremov mostly.

I also collect Joey Feldman signed and numbered prints.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:43 AM

The wife did this with clay and powder ink. Pretty cool how she just pulls random ideas out or her head and does them.

8106E178-337E-4066-AC37-0F388C557B83.jpg
Old 02-16-2020, 08:41 AM

I played with the pencil for a while.
-1 by Piker Golf, on Flickr

-1-3 by Piker Golf, on Flickr

-1-2 by Piker Golf, on Flickr

-1-4 by Piker Golf, on Flickr

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-16-2020, 10:07 AM

In the past I would draw with pencil mostly wildlife but have not bothered in a few years. These days my art is carving and airbrushing fishing lures
Old 02-18-2020, 12:59 AM

Red, I love the magpie with the yotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Wish mine looked more like Tirebobs. These are my cartoons.

And a cartoon character I call Needlenose the coyote with his buddies.
[IMG][/IMG]

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 02-18-2020, 08:52 AM

My Grandfather did a lot of painting. Wildlife, scenery, old buildings, etc. Here’s one of his that I have in my office.

My dad did pen and ink mostly, but this one he did with pencil crayons at the kitchen table while I coloured beside him as a kid.

The art gene seems to have skipped me. I do photography, but I’ve never been that skilled at drawing or painting.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-18-2020, 05:35 PM
AO Sponsor

Awesome to see everyone stuff!!

This one I just did this past weekend is something completely new for me as it is a total abstraction. I was challenged to try abstract as an exercise in creative though and this is what I came up with. I realize it isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, nor can I even really say it is mine either, but I must admit it was fun to try and I can see myself trying more in the future.

Basically I used a photo of Morraine Lake with the mountains in behind that I found on the Internet and painted it in a totally deconstructed way using geometrical shapes and primary and complimentary colours only. Here is a pic of the photo (not taken by me) and the abstract painting I created from it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8F49D9E4-D8A0-4E9A-8E7F-B097F585CE09.jpg (26.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg FF8714D2-01AC-4CEF-8B0F-08CA7F44A8ED.jpg (19.2 KB, 36 views)
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 02-18-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
The wife did this with clay and powder ink. Pretty cool how she just pulls random ideas out or her head and does them.

Attachment 161302
I thought you were putting on a little weight there nice work

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-29-2020, 02:00 PM
AO Sponsor

It has been a while since this thread was bumped and since I made a small abstract/contemporary oil painting today I figured why not?

Midnight Waters

Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 11-29-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
It has been a while since this thread was bumped and since I made a small abstract/contemporary oil painting today I figured why not?

Midnight Waters

Gorgeous,,

I used to be a professional illustrator and though paid well, computer graphics took over the industry. One client I had paid me handsomely to hand colour geophysical maps,, I was paid to colour with pencil crayons,, try putting that on a resume now, lol.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:35 PM

Very nice Bob! I like it. You want to sell it to a collector? I like to support Alberta talent.

Have a look at Steven Coffey, painter out of Vulcan. I have 3 of his pieces, yours reminds me of his style a bit. Will try to post pic...or better, will text you, and you can post!

And let me know if you want to hang that in my house?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-29-2020, 03:14 PM

Default Do sand mazes count as art?

I do a new sand maze every day after the tides washes away the old one.

Every one has a different shape and solution.

Sometimes I make them look like an animal or sometimes just random design.

Often I incorporate kids sand castles.

Watching kids and adults spend hours trying to figure out the solution while I drink some scotch is entertaining in itself.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-29-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I do a new sand maze every day after the tides washes away the old one.

Every one has a different shape and solution.

Sometimes I make them look like an animal or sometimes just random design.

Often I incorporate kids sand castles.

Watching kids and adults spend hours trying to figure out the solution while I drink some scotch is entertaining in itself.
Brilliant! And the drinking scotch bit makes me appreciate it more (got a 25 year old 1990 Balblair going as I type!).....but at the same time I am almost bitterly jealous of your locale, to be able to do that.

I suppose I could make one in my backyard, in the snow, but I would have to be careful of my dogs offerings. Maybe I could incorporate them?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-29-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Brilliant! And the drinking scotch bit makes me appreciate it more (got a 25 year old 1990 Balblair going as I type!).....but at the same time I am almost bitterly jealous of your locale, to be able to do that.

I suppose I could make one in my backyard, in the snow, but I would have to be careful of my dogs offerings. Maybe I could incorporate them?
Sadly only a summer vacation event. Missed this year with an extra hectic 2020. Hopefully next year will be another maze year.

This photo was about a half size maze.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-29-2020, 04:13 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Very nice Bob! I like it. You want to sell it to a collector? I like to support Alberta talent.

Have a look at Steven Coffey, painter out of Vulcan. I have 3 of his pieces, yours reminds me of his style a bit. Will try to post pic...or better, will text you, and you can post!

And let me know if you want to hang that in my house?
You're a good man my friend! Cheers!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 11-29-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
You're a good man my friend! Cheers!
Yessssss! Going to hang it in my office!

Bob is now an officially recognized Alberta artist, selling to discerning clientele. That would be me!

Old 11-29-2020, 04:44 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:

Bob is now an officially recognized Alberta artist, selling to discerning clientele. That would be me!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 11-29-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Legitimise it with a contract of providence, then bob can sell other works in galleries
Old 11-29-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
Legitimise it with a contract of providence, then bob can sell other works in galleries
Absolutely. Going to connect him with local gallery. Owner is a friend.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:37 PM

I've been messing with painting and drawing off and on for over 50 years. This is one of my latest paintings that I made for my niece. The second item is the original photograph. It was taken as we were returning from Cody Wyoming to Yellowstone with Yellowstone Lake in the foreground.

Vic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Painting for Maia.jpg (23.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 060918P Lake Butte 04a.jpg (17.9 KB, 51 views)
Old 11-30-2020, 08:16 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednastka View Post
I've been messing with painting and drawing off and on for over 50 years. This is one of my latest paintings that I made for my niece. The second item is the original photograph. It was taken as we were returning from Cody Wyoming to Yellowstone with Yellowstone Lake in the foreground.

Vic
Very cool! I love the morning/evening sunrise/set scenes.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 11-30-2020, 10:12 AM

Your talent is really starting to show Bob. That last abstract that you sold to Twisted Canuck is quite amazing.

I have a half dozen or so original paintings including Michael Rosenvain and his wife, Aleksandra as well as a 50" x 60" Slava Ilyayev. I also collect vintage glass art among other things.

I painted some back in the early 80's trying to emulate that German? guy who used to paint on TV similarly to Bob Ross using his Magic white and completing an oil painting in one sitting. Some actually turned out quite nice but they were relegated to the storage room under the stairs for a lot of years now. I'm sure they'll be worth millions after I pass.

I had a drawing of my dog done by an artist in one of those outdoor squares in Rome a few years back. Some amazing talent there. Left him a printed picture and came back in an hour. It was 100 Euros. Wish I could draw like that. 18" x 24".

[/url][/IMG]
Old 11-30-2020, 04:54 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Your talent is really starting to show Bob. That last abstract that you sold to Twisted Canuck is quite amazing.

I have a half dozen or so original paintings including Michael Rosenvain and his wife, Aleksandra as well as a 50" x 60" Slava Ilyayev. I also collect vintage glass art among other things.

I painted some back in the early 80's trying to emulate that German? guy who used to paint on TV similarly to Bob Ross using his Magic white and completing an oil painting in one sitting. Some actually turned out quite nice but they were relegated to the storage room under the stairs for a lot of years now. I'm sure they'll be worth millions after I pass.

I had a drawing of my dog done by an artist in one of those outdoor squares in Rome a few years back. Some amazing talent there. Left him a printed picture and came back in an hour. It was 100 Euros. Wish I could draw like that. 18" x 24".

[/url][/IMG]
Thanks sir! Your picture makes me miss my Newfie...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 11-30-2020, 05:18 PM

Great to see everyone's art!

I've been doing sculpture for over twenty years.
Mostly stone, some bronze, metals, wood, bone...

This one was stolen out of a gallery.
First piece of art they ever had stolen.
A compliment in some strange way.
Pretty sure they came in through the roof Mission Impossible style.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-30-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks sir! Your picture makes me miss my Newfie...
That's awesome Bob. They are one of the sweetest, strongest and most loyal companions. The picture was when he was about one and a half. He's now six and a half and the best dog ever IMHO.