Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2020, 09:09 AM

Default Carpel tunnel.

Has anybody here ever had to deal with carpel tunnel in their hand and wrist. Ive developed this as a byproduct of a shoulder surgery. I can’t make a fist, and my hand is swollen. It’s worst at night, and sometimes when I wake up my hand is numb. How can I get around this, because it sucks! Thanks for your help. Stay safe and have a merry Christmas.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:14 AM

Cbt
Old 12-15-2020, 09:19 AM

get in to see a good physiotherapist. they can really help out and make a difference.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:31 AM

Been suffering from it for years.

Wear wrist bands when your sleeping. Don’t get cheap wrist bands , get the ones with the molded stiff shank that runs up your wrist into the palm of your hand.

Before bed stretch your arms and wrists and repeat the same when you wake up.

Ice packs when swelling occurs.

Stay hydrated.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:33 AM

Go to a Orthotic clinic and get fitted for a wrist Brace to sleep in. This should cost $50 - $120 don't just get one from the drugstore as they won't fit it properly to your hand/wrist. It should hold your wrist in a neutral position.

Wayne

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2020, 09:51 AM

I have it...or I thought I had it and so did the Doc, until I got tested and I was “borderline.” Turns out the hours standing and cooking is bad for your neck, imagine that? Once I started working on my posture the problem mostly went away. So your shoulder surgery sounds like a big part of this and something that you need to figure out. Chiropractor, might be a good stop, and back to a good physiotherapist also booze really aggravates mine, probably because of the dehydration that follows.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:51 AM

Surgery. Sooner the better. Mine was so bad I ended up with permanent nerve and tendon damage.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:54 AM

My carpal tunnel was severe enough to warrant surgery on both wrists. That was 12 years ago and haven't looked back. The surgeries were spaced out at 6 months apart and within a month of each, it was if the carpel tunnel never happened. It's day surgery and was performed in the surgeons office.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:48 AM

I was supposed to have surgery on both wrists in 2006. My carpal tunnel was so bad, I couldn't sleep well, and I would be dropping tools during the day (I did drywall finishing for years, lots of trowel work). Before my surgery, my aunt gave me some DMSO that she was using for her arthritis. I figured it was just snake oil, but I gave it a try because the anti-inflammatory drugs the doc gave me were eating a hole in my gut.

After a week of applying the DMSO to my wrists twice a day, I noticed a tremendous improvement. After a couple months of use, I had 90-95% relief depending on my work load. I never had the surgery, and have used the DMSO on and off as necessary over the years. I have introduced quite a few friends to it who have also had good results. My son used to keep a small bottle in his hockey bag, if he blocked a shot with his ankle or tweaked his knee, he was using it. He also had excellent results. It is a fantastic anti-inflammatory. As an aside, it has been used for years by vets, particularly on horses. One of the main ingredients for some of the linamments they use. Now I have no issues at all with carpal tunnel, 100% good to go.

It works. Google it. I used to get it off Amazon here, getting hard to find. Make sure and buy a pharmacy grade purity, in a glass container, as it is a solvent. If it has impurities in it, it will transport them right in to you. So use good stuff. But, it's cheap.

Try it for 2 weeks, morning and evening. It will save you months of recovery from surgery. One of the few health care remedies I swear by.

This is the stuff I use, used to get off Amazon in Canada, but now only see it in the US. One of those bottles will last you a year. As an aside, it does tingle or even feel like a mild sunburn when you apply it, feels a little greasy. Small price to pay for the relief you will get.

https://www.amazon.com/DMSO-Bottle-9...58113&sr=8-12#

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 12-15-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-15-2020, 02:49 PM

Default Carpel tunnel

Thanks very much for all the tips. Much appreciated.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Has anybody here ever had to deal with carpel tunnel in their hand and wrist. Ive developed this as a byproduct of a shoulder surgery. I can’t make a fist, and my hand is swollen. It’s worst at night, and sometimes when I wake up my hand is numb. How can I get around this, because it sucks! Thanks for your help. Stay safe and have a merry Christmas.

I am curious as to what test’s were done to confirm that you have carpel tunnel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2020, 05:59 PM

I have been dealing with Carpel Tunnel for many years. Pain at night would be almost unbearable. Read that Vitamin B helps with Carpel Tunnel. Started taking Vitamin B and it has helped allot, can sleep the night without swollen hands or severe pain. Have not tried DMSO but would like to.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:20 PM

[QUOTE=Ddawg;4288290]I am curious as to what test’s were done to confirm that you have carpel tunnel.

When I had my carpal surgery some 25 years ago no tests were needed. Told the Doctor what was needed, Said to come in Thursday and we’ll have at it. Been trouble free since.
Now my left hand has it. Definitely going to try dmso
Old 12-15-2020, 06:26 PM

How long ago was the shoulder surgery?

Could just be the swelling down stream of the shoulder surgery. Not much space in the carpel tunnel, and anything that causes swelling there can do it.

If its never happened before it might get better as you recover.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:30 PM

[QUOTE=cowmanbob;4288336]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddawg View Post
I am curious as to what test’s were done to confirm that you have carpel tunnel.

When I had my carpal surgery some 25 years ago no tests were needed. Told the Doctor what was needed, Said to come in Thursday and we’ll have at it. Been trouble free since.
Now my left hand has it. Definitely going to try dmso

I was diagnosed with carpo tunnel, they first tried cortisone injections, they didn’t help. The Next step before surgery was EMG nerve testing, this confirmed that I did not carpo tunnel. So if I was never tested, the surgery would have been for nothing. The ulnar nerve that runs down you’re neck to the fingers can also cause similar pain.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:13 PM

Default Carpel tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittman View Post
How long ago was the shoulder surgery?

Could just be the swelling down stream of the shoulder surgery. Not much space in the carpel tunnel, and anything that causes swelling there can do it.

If its never happened before it might get better as you recover.
It was 7 weeks ago. I’m hoping that what you say is true. Ever had a problem before this. I’m doing physio exercises and keeping it iced, so I hope it helps. Thanks for your help. Have a great Christmas.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
It was 7 weeks ago. I’m hoping that what you say is true. Ever had a problem before this. I’m doing physio exercises and keeping it iced, so I hope it helps. Thanks for your help. Have a great Christmas.
That DMSO will also help inflammation of the shoulder joint. I've used it on ankles (bad bone spurs both Achilles and plantar fasciitis from years on stilts), knees, hip (after a plank twisted and I went down a stairwell), shoulders elbows and wrists. It generally helped, though the most dramatic improvement was for the carpal tunnel. Seems to help a bit with my arthritis, mostly shoulders and knees, but it's not a miracle like it was for the carpal tunnel issue.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-15-2020, 09:09 PM

Default Carpel tunnel

Just ordered some.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 12-15-2020 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Misinfo
Old 12-15-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Just ordered some.
After you've used it for a week or so, let me know if it has helped you at all.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:32 AM

Default Carpel tunnel

Will do..
Old 12-18-2020, 09:09 AM

Default Carpel tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddawg View Post
I am curious as to what test’s were done to confirm that you have carpel tunnel?

I haven’t had it confirmed that it is carpel tunnel. I just assumed. My hand is swollen and I can’t close it. My fingers will not bend to the point of making a fist.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:56 AM

It was my Carpel tunnel that convinced me that Cannabis can be medicine.

Before my wife had her hip replacement, she was looking for pain management that was easier on her gut, so she got a green card, straight CBD oil, and a 1:1 thc/cbd, it did not work for her but one night I tried some and about an hour after taking it my forearm lit off for about ten minutes then relaxed and felt much better.

A 1:1 oil will relax you but leaves you clear-headed, though for myself I only use it when I am about an hour before going to bed.

This last week we have been testing a topical that we made and it seems to help and since thc does not pass through the skin so it's good for day use.

I won't say it's a miracle cure but it noticeably takes the edge off the pain.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I haven’t had it confirmed that it is carpel tunnel. I just assumed. My hand is swollen and I can’t close it. My fingers will not bend to the point of making a fist.
Could be carpel, or severe tendinitis , or arthritis. My issues started with trigger finger and carpel , after surgery things were much better even with permanent nerve/ tendon damage until this year when osteoarthritis was discovered in my thumbs. I developed major tendonitis from the arthritis. My hands are messed up
Old 12-18-2020, 06:06 PM

Default Carpel tunnel

My hand was completely fine until about 4 weeks after my surgery on that side.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:11 PM

Get a wrist brace if find the tensor brand is good, immobilize your wrist will help a lot. Ice works good and get in to see a doctor to get the surgery to fix it. When I had it done it took 20 minutes,the incision site Is frozen couple of slices with the knife a few stitches and wrap your out the door.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:16 AM

Default Carpel tunnel

Thanks for the tip. Seeing my shoulder surgeon in a couple of weeks. Will definitely be looking for some answers. Have a great Christmas.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I was supposed to have surgery on both wrists in 2006. My carpal tunnel was so bad, I couldn't sleep well, and I would be dropping tools during the day (I did drywall finishing for years, lots of trowel work). Before my surgery, my aunt gave me some DMSO that she was using for her arthritis. I figured it was just snake oil, but I gave it a try because the anti-inflammatory drugs the doc gave me were eating a hole in my gut.

After a week of applying the DMSO to my wrists twice a day, I noticed a tremendous improvement. After a couple months of use, I had 90-95% relief depending on my work load. I never had the surgery, and have used the DMSO on and off as necessary over the years. I have introduced quite a few friends to it who have also had good results. My son used to keep a small bottle in his hockey bag, if he blocked a shot with his ankle or tweaked his knee, he was using it. He also had excellent results. It is a fantastic anti-inflammatory. As an aside, it has been used for years by vets, particularly on horses. One of the main ingredients for some of the linamments they use. Now I have no issues at all with carpal tunnel, 100% good to go.

It works. Google it. I used to get it off Amazon here, getting hard to find. Make sure and buy a pharmacy grade purity, in a glass container, as it is a solvent. If it has impurities in it, it will transport them right in to you. So use good stuff. But, it's cheap.

Try it for 2 weeks, morning and evening. It will save you months of recovery from surgery. One of the few health care remedies I swear by.

This is the stuff I use, used to get off Amazon in Canada, but now only see it in the US. One of those bottles will last you a year. As an aside, it does tingle or even feel like a mild sunburn when you apply it, feels a little greasy. Small price to pay for the relief you will get.

https://www.amazon.com/DMSO-Bottle-9...58113&sr=8-12#
This is of interest to me. I was worried I was having heart issues, numbness and tinkling in my arms...turns out it is the start of Carpel Tunnel. I have lots of arthritis but don't want to use drugs that are hard on stomach and other organs..will look into this.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:59 PM

Cbd oil works
Old 12-08-2021, 07:47 AM

Been dealing with Carpal Tunnel in both hands for almost 30 years. Tried everything including DMSO - nothing helped. Had surgery 3 weeks ago in both hands. Was using chainsaw after two weeks.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:10 AM

I may of missed it but I assume you had it medically confirmed as carpal tunnel? Not sure what else it could be but a ganglion cyst comes to mind. It can be similar in pain. Relative has it bad. But sounds like you have pain and fluid retention. Any time I’ve used the internet to diagnose myself… I’ve been wrong.

Worse could be a blood clot post surgery. In that case you need to go to emergency immediately.

Get better!

Sun
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin