Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2021, 06:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Trying to make the wife clear the snow would be far more hazardous to my health than actually doing it myself No No No wifey doesn't do snow removal
lol

The other better alternative is to pay someone else to do it.

Personally, if I cant remove it with my ROYAI WHISPER 12O MPH 40VLithium Battery hand blower, then I hire someone to remove it for $50.00.

I am determined NOT TO BE a victim of #@$%# Snow!
Old 11-29-2021, 06:57 AM

It's called the Golden Years! Don't know why, should be called the Urine Years.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
It's called the Golden Years! Don't know why, should be called the Urine Years.
It's called the Golden years because every morning you wake up your Gold! lol
Old 11-29-2021, 07:18 AM

Batteries are heavier now than they were a few years ago, I used to be able to read the date on a dime now I need my glasses to find one in my change.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:33 AM

I am 83 and I know what you guys are talking about, keep up the conversation, it is the only reason that I know what is happening, DUD!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2021, 09:32 AM

Yup the older I get seems the more lm falling down lots. Went down bad yesterday again. Did some damage threw out my back. Cut up hands and arms that looks like road rash, and a sprained wrist etc. Stupid me i was in a t shirt so bare arms.
Not sure why so clumsy lately. But I guess old age though not sure why . Turned 75 not long ago.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Yup the older I get seems the more lm falling down lots. Went down bad yesterday again. Did some damage threw out my back. Cut up hands and arms that looks like road rash, and a sprained wrist etc. Stupid me i was in a t shirt so bare arms.
Not sure why so clumsy lately. But I guess old age though not sure why . Turned 75 not long ago.
Do you have a good chiropractor? Mine works wonders for my back. If not I can give you his name if you like?
Old 11-29-2021, 09:51 AM

66 turns out to be a bad number Cracked rib, broken collarbone and two skiers thumbs this year. evil ebike spectacular crash/slide down a mountain. Collarbone is the most painful and the longest injury for healing that I've ever experienced....still battling it........more than 3 months after. Wife gets to do all the lifting and shoveling while I lounge around reading, watching tv and moaning. So bored.............worst of all, I filled out six harvest reports saying that I didn't kill any animals.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
The big 65 coming in the next month and a half and my body feels 75. Lots of old sports injuries takin7g their toll and get it for all you other old farts like me.
When you get in to your 80's, a re-set to 75 would be Golden.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
Do you have a good chiropractor? Mine works wonders for my back. If not I can give you his name if you like?
Thanks but yes I do have a good one in Fort Sask. I'm heading out there in a hour actually. I stuck my foot in a gopher hole out in the pasture this summer and only just getting over that and here we go again.

Glad I dont compare to CNP in damages though. Always some one worse off I guess.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:10 AM
Banned

Love the stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Start worrying when you're not sure you'll make 20 years.
Sheer grumpiness is going to get me another 20 years

Hiccups with a busted rib, fun stuff.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:25 PM

I posted this before, but here it is for the new members:

You're Old When:

You buy 'Playboy' and ‘Penthouse’ to read the articles.

You remember where you put your car keys, but can't remember where you parked your car.

Your favorite music and movies are in the Bargain Bin.

You're proud of your new garage door opener.

You trade your Harley for a Corolla.

You can't remember if its 375 degrees for 60 minutes, or 60 degrees for 375 minutes.

Your back goes out more than you do.

You send your teeth out to get cleaned.

You have stomach trouble - you can't get all of it behind your belt.

You don’t care where your wife goes, as long as you don’t have to go with her.

You don't remember being absent-minded.

You watch The Weather Channel and PBS.

Middle-aged women offer you their seat on the bus.

You have table manners that would offend a monkey.

"Lucky" means you remember where you parked your truck in the parking lot.

You have your pants pulled up almost to your armpits, with a belt and suspenders.

An "All Nighter" means not having to get up to go to the bathroom.

You turn down an invitation to go skinny dipping with a bunch of hot young babes, because you'd rather stay home and watch the baseball game.

You're told to slow down by the doctor instead of the police.

Don't ask me how I know.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:20 PM

Default Getting old

61st. birthday coming up. Knees hurt, shoulders are pretty much gone and hurt all the time. CRPS/nerve damage in my right arm. Can’t read anything up close anymore, hair is thinning, episodes of gout from time to time, and can’t remember most things pretty much all the time. Other than that, I feel great. LOL.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:34 PM

Same age here trigger, 61 in a few mo.
Don’t nearly have your list, I guess I’m doing ok, ha.

TBark
Old 11-29-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
Not sure if you know this or not but shoveling and clearing snow is the leading cause of death in men in Canada. The actual cause is a Heart Attack caused by over-exertion, while doing it.

So if you want to make it until your next antelope draw, do what I do. Have your wife clear the snow
Seems like there's a lot of research saying drink water, stretch a lot beforehand, then do a proper warmup. Apparently lots of heart attacks caused by sudden exertion more so than over-exertion.....if that makes sense?
Old 11-29-2021, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Seems like there's a lot of research saying drink water, stretch a lot beforehand, then do a proper warmup. Apparently lots of heart attacks caused by sudden exertion more so than over-exertion.....if that makes sense?
Makes sense to me. I have shoveled metric tons of snow in my lifetime. I AM OFFICIALLY RETIRED lol

Remember the winter of 2015 (I think it was) where every night just about we got a big dump of snow? I shoveled every day until I developed Acute Bursitis of the elbow, holy was that ever painful and for a very long time, that's when I said enough is enough!
Old 11-29-2021, 10:13 PM

I can understand most of you feel about old age. I just turned 77. I worked in forestry all my working life. Keeping in good physical shape was never a problem. I am very fortunate to have the ability to walk 10 or more Kms a day on bush trails. Love snowshoeing and cross country skiing in winter. The key for me is to work on my stretches and keep muscles limbered up.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Bah, I just shovel until my left arm goes numb, then I take a break for a bit.

(Kidding!)

Agreed, I think it is the sudden exertion. Just like going from sitting in my tree stand to dragging the deer back to the road - that's a killer too.

I have aches and pains, not quite 60 yet, but hearing about what some of you guys are going through, I feel very fortunate that I'm doing as well as I am.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:49 AM

I used to love the 69,but i hate it being my age
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:39 AM
Gone Hunting

Another thing to deal with about getting older is the circle of friends shrinking.. My Mother is 95. None of the friends she had through her life or work are still alive. It's tough to reminisce when no one is there. She stills lives on her own and is sharp mentally. She remembers stuff my brother and I have forgotten.
She has a bunch of grandkids and great grands but they are busy with their lives. My brother and I talk to her everyday and as I get older, I realize how important that call is, even if you don't talk about important stuff.

I'm surprised how much Facebook has played in contacting old friend. I have found or been found by several people that I haven't spoken to in 50 -70 years. Some it seems like just yesterday.

If you have friends or family, make the call. It matters.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-30-2021, 07:36 PM
Banned

At least I know what to expect as I reach the age of decrepitude.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:19 PM

I know what your going through crazynewf. I’m 56, arthritis in my back and hips, 1/2 a liver but the real disturbing part is the other day I got up brushed my teeth, made coffee and jumped in my Jeep to go hunting. As I went to back out of the garage I realized I was wearing my Irish setter hunting boot on my left foot and my cowboy boot on the right.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:00 PM
Banned

.......heading for 71.

last week my son came to walk with me elk hunting. best three days i can remember. shot a cow on wednesday afternoon. 8 mile round trip; by the time i got back to the truck i thought i'd need an ambulance.

elk is in the freezer and i think i'm almost back to normal.

now i'm going to re-read my reply to remember what i just said....what was i doing? who helped me?.....hmmmm
Old 11-30-2021, 09:08 PM

Soon to be 62, still bullet proof physically, at least I can pretend. I do things like put kitty litter in the cat dish, milk goes back in the cupboard and the cereal box in the fridge, pour milk in the toaster, try to turn the TV on with the truck key fob. attempt to start the truck with the remote control. Go to work on Sunday and wonder why nobody else is there, then don't go to work on Monday cause I think its Sunday. Take clothes out of the dryer and put them back in the washer. Get new washers to stop the taps from dripping so I can fix them on the weekend, the weekend comes I'm back at the store because I think I forgot to get them during the week, then get home only to come to the realization that I already fixed them 2 weeks ago.

I'd tell you more if I could remember but I gotta go reload some shells then fix the brakes on the old ladys car.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:40 PM

Hit the 51 this saturday but some dazzzzzzz it feels 81 plus!!!
I fractured my right ankle 20 months ago. Broken fibula, tore tendons .... bad.

Plate, screws you name it. Did 2 rounds of physio, tried the lymph balance center, walk a lot, bought a rowing machine last year.

Ankle now has had cortisone shot in October and will again in a few weeks.
It is not getting much better and I had all hardware removed .
I am at a loss but it really does impact my life . Not sure where to turn next. Open to suggestion.
Old is tough!!!!
Old 12-01-2021, 01:00 PM

Next birthday will turn 60. Sunday morning took a header off the deck and down 12 stairs. Banged up elbow, right hip and right shoulder. Luckily nothing broken. Still feeling the hip and shoulder/neck strain. Takes longer to recoupe. Other than that and a few other things that happen as we age it's been good.

Sure takes longer to bounce back though.

BW
Old 12-01-2021, 01:33 PM

I will turn 63 in 30 days...now curling with a stick, got graphite golf clubs, prob dentures in my future and am eyeing up aquasize. Being tall and heavy, my knees have done the best they can. And it is a privilege to grow old as some don't get there. But then you hit that living with dignity line and that's when life gets cruel. My daughter just had a friend pass on the weekend, 27 yr old seemingly healthy male, no symptoms, heart attack cause by an undetected faulty heart valve. Live life large as there are no luggage racks on coffins.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:17 PM

71 yrs old, almost recovered from a health issue last yr which also forced me to retire my business. I'm going to climb both Crowsnest and Chief Mt in the next while and leave behind a gift of sweetgrass and tobacco because they've stood there a long time and I still can.
Old 12-01-2021, 03:02 PM

I am 83 and the good, or bad, did not start to happen until I was 80. Then it went down hill from there. These golden years, REMEMBER.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:39 PM

Yup. Remember....

Most important as we get older is remembering not to forget to remember about forgetting to remember.

I wish for Crazynewf to heal quickly and for the other older gents to also have pain free days. Pain 24/7 sucks.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets