Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Do your close friends call you Lucky?

BW
No, but worked with a few of them and they tagged me "bug man" after the wall squished me lol
WDF
Old 12-06-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
I turned 80 last week and after reading all these woes I feel on top of the world. Dog walks daily and WT in freezer.
Way to go!
Old 12-06-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddawg View Post
How many of you do any sort of weight training, or had done weight training into your later years?

If you did but stopped, why?
I always kept it up until my hip crapped out more than a year ago and I had to stop, got in real poor condition. I'll be 70 in January/22.
Hip replacement Oct 03 this year.
The surgeon said I could go back to it REAL SLOW as of Nov 12.

But no more deadlifts - ever- for the rest of my life, no matter how light I keep the bar.

I found that routine with 'repeat to failure' is the best 'full body workout' I ever had.

I'll obey because I don't want any more surgery, but it'll probably take me a "heck" of long time to to get back any semblance of strength
Old 12-06-2021, 06:02 PM

Question

I am 3/4 of a century old now and after reading these posts I aint never getting old (maybe)
Old 12-07-2021, 06:53 AM

Getting older is ok, I consider aches and pains as part of where I’m at in my time. I think the key to this is doing what ever your capable of doing, don’t let the old man in as the song says. When I was a boy I looked at old men around the farming community and was amazed at what they could do, and I always thought when I became that age, that’s how I’m going to try and be.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:34 PM
Banned

Do any of you older guys suffer from gout?

Occasionally I get a flair up and I read something the other day that is very interesting.

Some doctors are now saying that the real cause of gout attacks is actually a low amount of Gut Probiotics that enable your body to get rid of uric acid, they are also linking heart failure and strokes to gut health and probiotic deficiencies. This is the first time I have heard of this and since I do not drink alcohol anymore, or eat tons of red meat or seafood it made me think.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Cheers N40
Old 12-07-2021, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post

Occasionally I get a flair up and I read something the other day that is very interesting.

Some doctors are now saying that the real cause of gout attacks is actually a low amount of Gut Probiotics that enable your body to get rid of uric acid, they are also linking heart failure and strokes to gut health and probiotic deficiencies. This is the first time I have heard of this and since I do not drink alcohol anymore, or eat tons of red meat or seafood it made me think.

Cheers N40
Here is another unknown fact about gout. STRESS in your life. I have an employee that doesn't do any booze/drugs/shell fish. He/partner recently had a child die during birth.
He got gout..he's totally clean living and drinks about a gallon of water a day(I kid you not)
His Doctor listed off the generic causes of gout. Not one to do with stress
Anyways, check and see if you have some stressors happening
Old 12-08-2021, 11:16 AM

Found out yesterday i have to go in for open heart surgery to replace a valve. Hope I can heal by next September.
Old 12-08-2021, 02:52 PM

I read this recently somewhere. Seems like a fitting place to put it...

"I asked an elderly man once what it was like to be old and to know the majority of his life was behind him. He told me that he has been the same age his entire life. He said the voice inside of his head had never aged. He has always just been the same boy. His mother's son. He had always wondered when he would grow up and be an old man. He said he watched his body age and his faculties dull but the person he is inside never got tired. Never aged. Never changed.
Our spirits are eternal. Our souls are forever. The next time you encounter an elderly person, look at them and know they are still a child, just as you are still a child and children will always need love, attention and purpose." ~ Author Unknown

It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-08-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer132 View Post
Found out yesterday i have to go in for open heart surgery to replace a valve. Hope I can heal by next September.
Good luck on your surgery. Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery!

BW
Old 12-08-2021, 02:57 PM

Doing pretty well so far at 66, could be a lot worse off. Losing ambition to get off my ass and do some stuff though, once I force myself, I'm glad to be out and doing it. Various aches and pains appear and disappear, some from known causes, some not. Moving this last spring went better than I thought, few aches and pains from seldom used muscles. Twisted my knee pretty good the day before moving into this house in May, surprised at how fast that healed up, went a lot better than expected. Still have to be a bit careful with that, depending on how I twist. Still mobile enough to do most of the stuff I wanted to do this year, weather kiboshed a few things though. Want to go to the range, 30-40kph wind comes up, want to go fishing in the boat, was moving in April and May, and not on a 90degF day. BC was burning up along with the Covid krap, want to take the dog and ambush some ducks, ponds all dried up, want to do some spot and stalk, ice rain and then snow, thaw and freeze, then more ice rain.
Take each day as it comes and see how it goes I guess. Eat good, try to get some excercise of some form in, tease the dog, and maybe a few neighbors, try to keep this peabrain active.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:07 PM

My partner watched me do a lipstand the other day so she bought me some ice cleats

Today I walked the neighborhood with impunity!
Old 12-08-2021, 04:15 PM

But then maybe it might not suck, depending on how you want to spend your Final Years.

A oldie but a goodie.

I just might go myself to "go out with a bang" because I had Military experience (Army) waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy back in my younger days.

It happened before, so why not?

At my age its something to think about. Maybe I could even re-live those same "younger days"!
Old 12-08-2021, 05:06 PM

I have been following this thread for a while.

Getting old sucks, but it is better than the alternative.
Old 12-09-2021, 01:28 PM

Default Staying fit

at 65 I’m adapting to an ever growing inventory of injuries that further restrict motion. Use it or loose it as they say. I use youth as motivation, even if the best I can do is a slow swing.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nLFrX8g58V8
Old 12-09-2021, 04:31 PM

Told my bil who hasn't worked in five years and five years younger than me who goes to the gym when you come for christmas we are going to cut firewood. I may never see him again.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:10 PM

Well...my hunting buddies are making fun of me right now.

They know I will turn 65 early January.

My health is good.

They keep bugging me about all the RELM discount I will get next year...

What a bunch of tarts...
Old 12-09-2021, 07:15 PM

In my case I got old suddenly. Everything was great, no physical iissues at all. The only time I was near a Doctor was due to a broken bone or similar. One morning I got up, headed to the coffee pot and was on my way downstairs and very suddenly the lights went out. Burst Aeorta. Miracle happened after the ambulace got here. Died twice on the stairs, revived by EMS folks and finally made it to the hospital. Thanks to great medical care I'm still here..When the time comes for the finale, I hope I go the same route. Life can change rather dramatically -in a heartbeat .Enjoy the moment.
Old 12-11-2021, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
My partner watched me do a lipstand the other day so she bought me some ice cleats

Today I walked the neighborhood with impunity!
Good reminder, wish it would warm up to melt the ice off.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post

Cheers N40
Earlier this year I got Pericarditis (inflammation of the heart sack) I also got really bad ulcers and gout in both feet I never ever had Gout in my life or Ulcers for that matter.
This was all at the same time and it was all an allergic re-action from the Astra Zeneca vaccine.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Earlier this year I got Pericarditis (inflammation of the heart sack) I also got really bad ulcers and gout in both feet I never ever had Gout in my life or Ulcers for that matter.
This was all at the same time and it was all an allergic re-action from the Astra Zeneca vaccine.
Sorry to hear that sewerrat!

I know first hand how medications can cause gout flareups, painful ---- hey?

I asked a nurse that suffered from gout and had children, which was more painful, gout or giving birth. She said Gout by far!

If you are taking meds for your heart do a simple GOOGLE search to see if the meds are killing the Probiotics in your gut. I have started taking high end Probiotics for a week now made by PhiNaturals, but it is too early to report on my findings.

I know after I suffered from heart failure, that when they put me on medications (all kinds) I had gout so bad I could not walk. I threw all the meds away and am doing great now

Best of luck!N40
Old 12-11-2021, 11:18 PM

'Throwing away all your meds' after heart failure may not be good advice. The biggest killer of people who have had a heart attack, is ... another heart attack - and it's usually caused by us stubborn males thinking "I've been taking these stupid pills for years, but I feel fine - I must be cured by now" and stopping their meds.

12 years ago, my cardiologist was very clear in his instructions; "If you want to live, you WILL be taking these meds, every single day, for the rest of your life. Get used to it, like putting on your socks and it takes even less time- every, single day"
Old 12-12-2021, 01:08 AM

Smile

You can have issues later in life that are out of your control and that really sucks ., but i see so many younger guys even when there 50 act like there 80, then again when they were forty they acted like the were 65.Spending 30 hours a week online 365 days a years, that's a recipe for high stress and poor health and poor cardio .

Stress when your older is a killer ,i had a bad car accident and it's taken 4 years to come to grips with it. Then i almost tilted with a aneurism and i realized all i stressed about was foolish . Were all going to die ,but you have to fight that old man away everyday because once he's got a grip on you your in trouble.
Life is just a game of chance ,expiry date is different for all.

I'm about 40 percent of who i was in my capacity since my accident ,but i try and do the best i can with that 40 percent. My neighbor is 100 percent oka, but only uses 25 percent of his good health ,what an idiot plus 35 years younger.

Some folks never use more then 50 of what there capable of doing all through life . My limit is about 30 minutes per day online ,no news or donnie downers complaining about everything known to man ,no way .Those guys are on another planet . Even in my younger days less then 3 hour of TV per week.

.Anymore then that i would be ashamed to tell my grandkids that there grandfather is to lazy to stay active. A stale mind is the devils play ground

If I'm right COLNERL SANDERS started KFC at 65, so it's just a number. So staying home banging your balls around a golf coarse isn't your deal, fire up and start a small venture for a hobby.

Like i said some things happen that's not our fault, but looking in the mirror or a staring into computer complaining of just plain old age is a waste of a good life.

Call an old friends even the ones that pizzed you off ,i do and still pick a argument with them for a good laugh. Surprising how the years change others for the better,some just stay mean so no big deal you knew that before the call.

Take a night if only once a month with the wife and go have a couple drinks or a dance, it brings back good feelings . If you see a nice looken women and get talken tell her how good she looks in a decent way.. Don't be a creep, just be a gentlemen. There isn't a gal on this earth who doesn't like a real nice compliment.

No matter how banged up i am ,for me the glass is always half full even on my worst days and at night i chirp a bit longer with my creator ,i guess i got more to say.

All the best to all injured. Stay focused and fight mad dog mean if you have to to survive . Laying down and giving up is easy and we all know life is not about anything being easy.

TAKE CARE
JD

Last edited by JD848; 12-12-2021 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-12-2021, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
'Throwing away all your meds' after heart failure may not be good advice. The biggest killer of people who have had a heart attack, is ... another heart attack - and it's usually caused by us stubborn males thinking "I've been taking these stupid pills for years, but I feel fine - I must be cured by now" and stopping their meds.

12 years ago, my cardiologist was very clear in his instructions; "If you want to live, you WILL be taking these meds, every single day, for the rest of your life. Get used to it, like putting on your socks and it takes even less time- every, single day"
Exactly what they told me to. Anyone who quits there heart meds usually die fairly soon after my cardiologists says. I'm not taking as many a day any more and some are less milligrams but I'll not stop taking them till they plant me. And the ones I'm not taking anymore are ones Doc said I could quit or cut back on.
Old 12-12-2021, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Exactly what they told me to. Anyone who quits there heart meds usually die fairly soon after my cardiologists says. I'm not taking as many a day any more and some are less milligrams but I'll not stop taking them till they plant me.
My mother stopped taking her blood thinner and i found her on the floor going to check on her . She had a bad stroke and was totally paralyzed except one arm. .No speech ,nothing
The only person she ever recognized was me after being out in a coma for 2 months .

I shut down my company and spent 24 months 600 miles from my home for 2 years ,never once did I regret staying with her or the money i lost. The loss financially for me was massive ,my banker wanted to kill me ,he got every dime that was owning .

So never stop any heart meds or blood thinners on your own, you can hurt yourself and others who love you more then any material thing on this planet.

JD
Old 12-12-2021, 02:13 AM
Gone Hunting

I wouldn't say growing old sucks.

Sure the body doesn't work like it used to and now I find small parts of my cognitive abilities waning as well.

But it is what it is. I never expected to live this long and most certainly didn't expect to be as fit or strong as I was at thirty.

Sure I wish I could do more of the things I want to do but I'm not so sure I want to be around much longer.

The way things are in the world these days, maybe a quick exit would be better then staying.

Don't worry, I have no intention of helping that along, but on the other hand, I don't see a lot of reason at this point to fear it either.

I admit, life is no party these days.

I've got people telling me I don't know what I know.
I've got people telling me I'm selfish for not doing what they think I should do.
I've got people telling me I can't understand what I understand.

I can't carry a tackle box more then fifty feet.
I can't walk more then a hundred yards.
I can't stand for more then ten minutes.
I can't hold my camera steady any more.

But so what. That's life. We get older. Our bodies fail.
Kids think they know more the adults, It's always been this way.
We don't have to like it but we don't need to fear it.

What lies ahead is better then what lies behind. I'm ready to move to the next level.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-12-2021, 06:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post

I truly understand and appreciate your post thumber, I really do! I certainly am a big believer in Doctors, my life has been saved three times by them to date. However, a Doctor's primary approach is in alleviating symptoms, the approach and direction I have decided to take are to eliminate the causes

The meds were killing me, they made me sicker than I actually was before the failure. I was so bad I could not move because of gout these meds were causing and at one point on the blood thinners, the doctors stuck a tampon up each of my nostrils to stop the bleeding, they were in my nose for an entire week, sounds like fun hey?

Here is the interesting thing. I threw out all the pills and bought a Trek Marlin V and decided how I was going to try to "cure" my heart was going to be through Excercise and Diet, not pills. When I started my exercise journey my Cardio Infarction Rate was under <25%, my doctors said I would be lucky to get back to 30%.

In any case for 6 months I biked 12 Kms a day then I walked an additional 6 Kms on top of that. The first time I went for my bike ride my heart started screaming at me and I will never forget what my heart screamed, "WHAT IN THE ----, DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING???? "I responded, well either I will get you working properly again, or you can kill me on this hill right now, I don't give a ----" since I was going up a hill at the time.

After 6 months my cardiologist sent me in to do a myocardial infarction rate test, when I went back to his office for the results he said with a smile on his face, "your Cardio Infarction Rate is 55%", as you probably already know 60% is peak performance.

He further said that he has never seen anything like it and told me that he had treated thousands of patients and he could not even believe it and that I was his first patient to have such a recovery.

Not only did I do the exercising I also completely revamped my diet to include I quit drinking since (as in absolutely no booze of any kind) and I had a love affair with booze since the age of 18, I smoke pot if I want to get a buzz these days. I lost a total of 66lbs.

I also focus on eating foods that eliminate inflammation. I do take a baby aspirin once a day to keep my blood thin as well as a blood pressure pill if I notice that my blood pressure is up, along with a multivitamin and EFOs. I started taking a high-quality Probiotic last week since I have learned about the connection being made between gut probiotic deficiencies and gout flair-ups, heart failure, and strokes.

I share this story not because it is interesting but because maybe it will help a fellow member that experiences Heart Failure. In the end, I have led a great life with hundreds of hunting, fishing, skiing, and scuba diving trips, sports, tons of wine, women, and song, and other stuff. I have also been FREE all of my adult life since I am self-employed. I would not change anything.

If God needs me, he knows where to find me and I do look forward to meeting my lord and savior one day, but I am in no rush.

Cheers N40

Last edited by North40Rules; 12-12-2021 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-22-2021, 12:16 PM

Default BEING old

I dont feel old but keep seeing this old geezer in all the mirrors in the house and there are no other guys around.
Old 12-22-2021, 12:21 PM

I took a selfie for my PAL application I look like Dr. Frankenstein's assistant Igor
in the photo.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:22 PM

Just started a low carb diet on the strong advice from my doctor. Gout, diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney stones. Both parents had diabetes and father had severe heart problems. Had his first heart attack at age 47 and three heart bypass surgeries. Died of massive heart attack at 67. Talk about a wake up call.