Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2021, 05:12 PM

Default Has anyone here eaten grilled pacific octopus?

I have caught a few of them, and generally just try to unhook them in the water as I do not want to give them the boat. I also do not want ink in the boat. I have seen some chefs cooking them on youtube, and they look amazing.

If I catch one next year I might keep it, I know how to ethically and quickly kill it now, just have to find out about processing, but sure would like to know what they taste like, I do NOT want to waste an animal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3v8..._channel=Eater

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 12-07-2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:19 PM

Biggest thing is do not over cook it. Like any seafood they turn to absolute rubber. If you have ever had squid fluke from a larger squid that is the closest texture I can think of to compare it to.

We have also used it in stir fry’s as well. I’ve had plenty of them on the boat wrapped around a prawn trap or something and never had one ink in the boat. Seen lots throw a cloud as soon as you fire them back in the water though.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:31 PM

A good friend of mine back in the Island is a Chinamen so I used to bonk all kinds of strange critters for him from Octopus to skate and everything in between. Octopus cooked by someone who knows how to cook it is great. I’ve also never had one ink in the boat but I suppose they could.

I remember one day 25 years ago in my welded aluminum an Octopus in the bottom of the boat. I had a heavy fish bonked and I wound up and smacked him between the eyes. He went all kinds of different colours and quit moving. Figured he was dead then ten minutes later he’s crawling all over the boat again. I bonked that guy probably a dozen times that day with the same result each time. They are tough critters.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:32 PM

Octopus goes straight in the cooler if I reel one up

Much better eating then salmon in my opinion
Old 12-07-2021, 06:00 PM

Black squid pasta. Mmm. Italian dish.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Octopus goes straight in the cooler if I reel one up

Much better eating then salmon in my opinion
Really!

Ok- guess I am going to have to try one.

To kill them it is a quick deep cut betwixt the eyes

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-07-2021, 06:28 PM

https://jesspryles.com/grilled-octop...lemon-oregano/
Old 12-07-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Really!

Ok- guess I am going to have to try one.

To kill them it is a quick deep cut betwixt the eyes
I also grew up on the coast and salmon was way easier to catch so less of a treat to me. I actually prefer bottom fish too

If you like squid you will like octopus very similar
Old 12-07-2021, 06:43 PM

I stayed at a resort once and a huge Italian family was staying there at the same time. They bought a bunch of small octopus and olive oiled them up and BBQed them. Not over cooked but it’s always chewy.

If you have never had octopus before… hit a sushi restaurant and have a few pieces. I don’t mind it in moderation. I love calamari.

If you can hit the squid migration you can have a blast off most docks.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-07-2021, 06:52 PM

Sorry boys and girls...I think I'll pass...
Old 12-07-2021, 06:55 PM

Default octo

Ken, I usually get it alongside the boat and cut its head of leaving the tentacles attached to the lower portion of the body. I then bring it in the boat and cut the legs of individually and into the cooler. I will use the chunky portions of the upper tenticle for Hali bait and grill the lower 2/3rds. Enjoy.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:40 PM

when cooked well absolutely delicious
Old 12-07-2021, 09:42 PM

I’ve had octopus quite a few times and the best was it was finished on a BBQ which gave it a little char, then drizzled with some sort of honey mustard sauce. That was 10 years ago and my mouth still waters over it. And I agree with the other post of better than salmon.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:03 PM

The Greeks know how to prepare octo's
Old 12-07-2021, 10:24 PM

Had some grilled in Vegas once on their recommendation at a nice place. Didn't know what to expect. Best damn thing ever. No idea how they prepped and cooked it though. And when I've been fishing off the Charolette's the guides would always keep em and cook me if they caught them........
Old 12-07-2021, 10:24 PM

Ken

Octopus is GREAT. For you guys that complain it is tough, you aren't cooking it right. Take the tentacles and put in a pot of water, with some salt, garlic and a little Oregano, cook at a slow boil for about 45-60 minutes depending on how big the tentacles are. When you first start cooking it, you will have a hard time penetrating the tentacle with the sharp point of a fillet knife, it is cooked when the knife pokes in easily, you will not make it tough unless you go WAY past the tender stage boiling. Keep boiling it till the knife penetrates easily.Take it out of the water and let it sit for about 30 minutes to cool and dry it off really well, the drier the better. You can let it sit and cool for longer if you have time, I usually let it set 3 or 4 hours. Finish them on a real hot BBQ grill, cook for only three or four minutes to get a nice grill char. You can also batter them and deep fry them till crisp. For the BBQ ones, serve with a little fresh Olive oil, parsley and some Parmagan cheese sprinkled on top. You will never throw back another Octopus.

Save the ink, to make black pasta or black rice.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-07-2021 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:28 PM

Thanks guys.

They are a fascinating animal, only advice I have ever had is don't give them the boat. I always wanted to see one go out the scupper.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushnell View Post
when cooked well absolutely delicious
Absolutely, and when not cooked well, a choking hazard at best.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
The Greeks know how to prepare octo's
You would be right.
As a young kid we lived in Athens for a while when Dad was working is Saudi. I still remember the old fisherman hitting shore with their catches of octopus and wailing them on rocks for a while to apparently tenderize them.
Freaked me out first time I saw Mom throw the "arms" in the frying pan and they would start squirming quite rapidly. Ate quite a bit of it over there
Old 12-08-2021, 07:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Ken

Octopus is GREAT. For you guys that complain it is tough, you aren't cooking it right. Take the tentacles and put in a pot of water, with some salt, garlic and a little Oregano, cook at a slow boil for about 45-60 minutes depending on how big the tentacles are. When you first start cooking it, you will have a hard time penetrating the tentacle with the sharp point of a fillet knife, it is cooked when the knife pokes in easily, you will not make it tough unless you go WAY past the tender stage boiling. Keep boiling it till the knife penetrates easily.Take it out of the water and let it sit for about 30 minutes to cool and dry it off really well, the drier the better. You can let it sit and cool for longer if you have time, I usually let it set 3 or 4 hours. Finish them on a real hot BBQ grill, cook for only three or four minutes to get a nice grill char. You can also batter them and deep fry them till crisp. For the BBQ ones, serve with a little fresh Olive oil, parsley and some Parmagan cheese sprinkled on top. You will never throw back another Octopus.

Save the ink, to make black pasta or black rice.
I think you hit the nail on the head Dean2, boiling first before grilling is the way to soften it up and the way to go. I watched that technique on Jacques Pepin's Heart & Soul Cooking show.

A couple of years ago off the coast of Prince Rupert I had a giant one latch onto my halibut bait, had no idea what it was until I got it to the surface after a 15-minute struggle. When it hit the surface it let go of the bait then opened its tentacles to dove straight down. The beast was at least 10 feet in diameter, it was huge.

My guide was really mad that it was not hooked and got away, I asked him why, and he said "They are a delicacy in these parts and highly sought after" If I do manage to catch one this year, I will be keeking it FOR SURE!

I think the way to handle them in the boat was well described by elkoholik, I can't even imaging the one I got to the surface slinking around the boat alive.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Sorry boys and girls...I think I'll pass...
All good - just shove your plate over my way!

(ties napkin around neck and readies fork and knife)
Old 12-08-2021, 09:15 AM

I'm one of those guys that will eat most anything from the ocean. I've had octopus before and it was very tasty. That said, as a diver who has interacted with Octopus underwater, they are incredibly fascinating and very cool to interact with. Highly intelligent. They get a free pass from me now in terms of the dinner table but I'm certainly not a PETA advocate.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I'm one of those guys that will eat most anything from the ocean. I've had octopus before and it was very tasty. That said, as a diver who has interacted with Octopus underwater, they are incredibly fascinating and very cool to interact with. Highly intelligent. They get a free pass from me now in terms of the dinner table but I'm certainly not a PETA advocate.
I feel the same about skates. I always feel bad when one of them grabs, they wings are supposedly like scallops, but they are an untargetted C&R for me.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I feel the same about skates. I always feel bad when one of them grabs, they wings are supposedly like scallops, but they are an untargetted C&R for me.
Ken, skate is one of the nicest fish you will ever put in your mouth, and it does have a similar sweet flavour to scallops. Nice texture too. Seriously.

And as for octopus, it is lovely also. Key is to fill a pot large enough to hold the octopus and enough cold water to cover. Set over high heat. Bring water to a simmer, then lower heat to maintain simmer. Cook until octopus is tender enough that you can pierce the thick part of a tentacle with a paring knife with little resistance, usually about 1 hour; keep in mind that this time is a rough estimate, and the octopus may be done sooner or it may take longer, but it will get there. Let it cool and grill on a hot grill. Brush with lemon garlic butter. Absolutely delicious.

Roll yourself up a big fat joint and eat like king!

Last edited by sns2; 12-08-2021 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
I am with you on that one Ken, only kept 1 and I felt guilty and really hard to clean lots of cartilage, so back in the water they go!
Old 12-08-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
The parasites on the skin of the skate turn me off so back they go

I have eaten them before seeing this and they are good
Old 12-08-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
The parasites on the skin of the skate turn me off so back they go

I have eaten them before seeing this and they are good
The ones I caught were in the Atlantic and had no parasites. Absolutely delicious.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:38 AM

Lol Sns2 I don’t think you know Ken. He might kick you out of the thread for a comment like that. Lol
Old 12-08-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
The ones I caught were in the Atlantic and had no parasites. Absolutely delicious.
All of mine were caught on the west coast. When I tried skate it was tasty but once I caught them I mentally could not get past the worms on their skin
Old 12-08-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
All of mine were caught on the west coast. When I tried skate it was tasty but once I caught them I mentally could not get past the worms on their skin
Guess I was lucky. No worms, just a helluva pile of delicious meat.

BTW, I would never be able to eat a moose that had worms in the meat. No bloody way. Some do though. Not me.