Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-15-2014, 02:21 PM

Default Lowrance HDS 8 G2 vs HDS 9 Touch G2

Guys,
It's time to update my Fish finder unit. I was thinking of the Lowrance HDS 8 Gen 2 or the HDS 9 touch. It looks like there is about $1000 difference between the two, but it looks like they have the same functionality (the HDS8 will require a few external modules vs the touch, but with them will have the same functionality as best I can tell.) Anybody out there have experience with both units? I'm wondering if I'm missing something when comparing the 2 models....
Cheers,
SH
Old 03-15-2014, 03:15 PM

If it is in your budget definitely go for the touch unit. The touch screen is a huge leap over the soft keys. It is so much more user friendly. I know it is hard to get the feel of the equipment in store. I have an HDS12 touch and an HDS10 on my boat.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:26 PM

X2 for the touch, but both are awesome units.

I sold my 8's and upgraded to the 9 and 12.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:36 AM

Shoot thorne a PM...he's away on vacation, but he might still be checking in. He's a bit of a gear junkie and I know he picked up the HDS9 touch this summer and he's really happy with it. He lent it to me for the Cold Lake trip and I was really happy with how it performed, though obviously I wasn't using a lot of its features.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-16-2014, 12:21 PM

If you have the extra $1000.00 go HDS 9 Touch. One of the "cool" features is to be able to connect to an underwater camera. Si can connect direct to unit(however it is nice to have LSS 2 "box" to help you network more finders.

If you have an LSS 1 or 2 already the HDS 8 has a definite low price factor.

I would go HDS 9 T just because it is current model though. I have one but have only played around with it indoors. Looks awesome. Have HDS 10, 8 and 5 as well.

Pretty sure you wont be disappointed either way but current is better, if money is not a factor.

edit: Also current model more likely to work with additional/future components.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:17 PM

touch screens get dirty quick with wet slimy fish hands, coupled with direct sun can get frustrating
Old 03-16-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reel Deal View Post
touch screens get dirty quick with wet slimy fish hands, coupled with direct sun can get frustrating
? Cant wipe your hand first. I wiped hands even with using buttons/wheels. Keep towel handy or pants and in a pinch fishing partners shirt.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:47 AM

I would say it comes down to what you want to get out of the entire package.

If you plan to just connect it to a standard transducer and go fishing, I'd recommend keeping the $1000 in your pocket and going with the HDS 8. They are great units. Big bright screens, broadband 2D sonar, the soft keys on the front, 2 SD card slots, and their completely compatible with any mapping chips and Insight Genesis. Once you get used to the menu system, they're actually quite simple to get around in and personalize/maximize your settings. It's second nature for me at this point. You still have the option of connecting the HDS8 to any existing Lowrance components - Structure Scan, Sonic Hub, Sonar Hub, GoFree, etc... in the future should you want to upgrade. Even after adding Structure Scan, the HDS 8 will still be the cheaper option.

If you plan to add components now or in the near future, the the HDS 9 Touch becomes a less expensive option. You only require a transducer, not the entire LSS box, so that's about a $300 savings compared to adding Structure Scan to the HDS8. The HDS9 is also compatible with the new HDI skimmer transducer, which gives you 2D and Down Imaging in a single transducer for about $140 or so, which is a nice option. You also have the video in option as was mentioned, which is nice. The Touch screen models are really simple and intuitive to operate, and have almost endless options for customizing the display. Wipe your hand first lol, but it's remarkable how well they work and how little of an issue that fingerprints and other dirt are when it comes to viewing the screens, and the screens are easy to clean. I'm guessing that touch screens are the way of the future, so there's that factor to consider as well.

Give those things some thought and choose the right one for you. You can't really go wrong either way.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Shoot thorne a PM...he's away on vacation, but he might still be checking in. He's a bit of a gear junkie and I know he picked up the HDS9 touch this summer and he's really happy with it. He lent it to me for the Cold Lake trip and I was really happy with how it performed, though obviously I wasn't using a lot of its features.
Hey Geezle/Thorne how do the touch screens do in the winter for ice fishing outside of a tent?

Thanks
Old 03-17-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
? Cant wipe your hand first. I wiped hands even with using buttons/wheels. Keep towel handy or pants and in a pinch fishing partners shirt.
Can't wipe my hands, too busy releasing fish!
Joking aside. Just a complaint I've heard about touch screens.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:06 PM

Also good rebates now. Check that out as well.

http://www.lowrance.com/en-us/special-offers/

Old 03-18-2014, 12:01 PM

thanks for the input......I think it will be the 9 touch.

SH