Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-16-2014, 08:12 PM

Default Earliest open water in Alberta?

Hey guys, not really a fishing question, but more a boating question. Whats the earliest a guy might be able to find enough open water on a lake in order for me to test drive a boat? I'm in the process of buying a new boat and i would feel much better about my purchase if i could take it for a drive to check things out. I know that Wabamum or Sheerness will be open fairly early in the year but not sure how soon till theres enough open water to actually take a boat out. My other option is to get a inspection done at a marine shop but i would rather save that cash and just take it for a spin.

Any help would be great guys.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:36 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by retoxtony View Post
Hey guys, not really a fishing question, but more a boating question. Whats the earliest a guy might be able to find enough open water on a lake in order for me to test drive a boat? I'm in the process of buying a new boat and i would feel much better about my purchase if i could take it for a drive to check things out. I know that Wabamum or Sheerness will be open fairly early in the year but not sure how soon till theres enough open water to actually take a boat out. My other option is to get a inspection done at a marine shop but i would rather save that cash and just take it for a spin.

A marine survey will surpass any boot abought on a local lake . Has the fiberglass delaminated . Have the motor mounts been abused. Little details a short cruise will never uncover. Look south does minnawanka frezze.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by retoxtony View Post

Not sure how far south you are in Sk. but I believe Duncairn Dam has open water year round, about 70km south of Shaunavan. I have never been there, and don't know if the launches are open year round but a quick phone call could confirm that.

Last edited by bobalong; 03-17-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:29 AM
Banned

This will undoubtedly **** off some but I found out on here and I will pass it on here as well.
The ForestBurg reservoir has open water year round. I've been out the last two Saturdays fishing from my kayak, and once in mid February. Enjoy folks. Closes March 31- May 15
Old 03-17-2014, 10:25 AM

I won't buy a boat without doing a test drive first and i still might get it looked at by a shop but there are some things that can only pop up in a test drive. I won't be just taking it for a quick boot, i plan on using it for a hour or two atleast. I've already crawled over almost every inch of this boat and its been well cared for and i can't find any issues yet.

Duncairn is not that far from me but the boat is up by Gull lake near Lacombe so its the wrong direction for me and the seller. Thats why i'm looking for a place in Alberta. I have never heard of Forestburg so i'll need to look into that.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
A marine survey will surpass any boot abought on a local lake . Has the fiberglass delaminated . Have the motor mounts been abused. Little details a short cruise will never uncover. Look south does minnawanka frezze.

minny will have 3 feet of ice right now
Old 03-18-2014, 06:08 AM

Ice on most lakes in alberta are open usualy about two to three weeks before the may long. So begining of May some time. Southern Alberta maybe a couple of weeks sooner.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:36 PM

I was in Med Hat last week and the small pond and dugout are half clear of ice. I bet that by now they are ice free. If the small ponds are free and if there was some run off, I would bet that Cavan will be open in couple of weeks if we continue to have nice weather.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:29 PM

How about a river?

Why not hook up the muffs and see how it runs in the driveway?

When I bought my boat years ago I did the same as you.
We took it for a test ride. But I had to prove I had the money to buy the boat.
Seems fair to me.

A member from here brought a friend to look at a truck.
He left a deposit before taking it out.

Something to think about doing if and when the seller requests it.
I would do the same.

I recently bought a truck. Drove 9 hours one way. The guy knew I was serious when I showed him the money.
So test driving it wasnt an issue.

Try a river for your test and stay away from water falls

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 03-19-2014, 04:56 PM

The Oldman River is open upstream from Taber. We'll be boating this weekend.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:40 PM

If you can't wait for the ice to melt you could take it in and have them put it on a dyno machine
Old 03-19-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
The Oldman River is open upstream from Taber. We'll be boating this weekend.
Just got to be a tease, don't ya? Lol