Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-09-2019, 05:24 PM

Default Rookie taking out my daughter for the first time - Calgary area

Hi all,

Been a long while since I’ve been out. Want to take my four year old somewhere within about an hour of Calgary for our first fishing adventure. We’ve got a couple of small rods and would like to dock/ shore fish. Anyone got some suggestions?

She’s pretty excited, thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:30 PM

Maybe look into the Bow Habitat Station Trout Pond. It's set up as a Kids Can Catch pond. No bait allowed though. http://bowhabitat.alberta.ca/explore/trout-pond.aspx

Otherwise, look at fish stocking reports and go to one of the stocked trout ponds around Calgary and set up with worms and a float.

Have fun. I know you'll take pics.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-10-2019, 10:43 AM

Try Kids Can Catch, McLean, Grotto or Mount Lorette Ponds. Mount Lorette is really good for young kids, but I'm not sure there are any fish left in it right now - we were just there last week and never even saw a fish.

For some reason, the stocking reports are not being updated very frequently so it's tough to tell what has been stocked recently and you need to get to the ponds very quickly after stocking or they will be fished out. Five fish per person is way too many and it causes people to treat the ponds like supermarkets instead of a fishery for pleasure.

It's really too bad that they let Pine Coulee get fished out because that was as good as a guaranteed fish catching place as you could get.

The other option is to find someone with access to one of the perch infested ponds in Calgary and go there for a day.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:18 PM

Unclerji; you are 100% right re; Pine Coulee, I used to take lots of folks, they love the catch and release of smallish wally. Too Bad!

re; the four year old, that's the age my granddaughters were when they started. The key for us was they wanted to catch, not fish.

McLean Creek pond was devoid of fish as of 10 days ago. Long line of folks fishing, too bad they don't set an age limit like 6 or so!!

The Calgary Livingston Hatchery has a trout pond for kids, that and an ice cream stop is how I would start.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:09 PM

refer to this thread

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...hlight=calgary