Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-09-2019, 11:42 AM

Default Birds nesting line

So I have an light ugly stick combo. and when I first bought it I had no issues for the first year until I changed the line. I have since respooled with so many different lines. Braid, mono, floro. All different brands and nothing but issues birdsnesting. Never had an issue with any other reel but this one. Wondering if anyone else has had issues with these reels? Should I just give up and buy a better quality reel?
Old 07-09-2019, 12:32 PM

Default Birds nest

I had my share of birds nests, on many different reels.It seems to happen,when reeling slow with very light lures--In your case however,you seem to had got more than your share with many types of lines--It may be time to upgrade to a new reel --Years ago a friend in a fishing party,useing a cheapy reel--with everyone landing trout,had the ultimate birds nest--I still laugh today,when I remember it--The rod and reel going end over end into the lake.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:10 PM

When you respool do you spin the line off of the spool, or does the spool stay stationary with the line coming over the edge?
If you don't spin it off of the spool you are putting a lot of extra twist into the line.
Stick a pencil through the middle of the spool and have someone hold it so it turns while you reel it on.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:54 PM

When reels get used lots particularly cheaper ones the bail starts to get sticky and doesnt close tight, like it did when new. That will do it. I got one that eventually no matter how much i oiled it and stretched the spring , it did that.

It particularly didnt like stiffer lines like flouro after the bail started acting up. Try using Tri-Lene XL maybe.

I am assuming its a spinning reel. You said light rod combo so. If its baitcaster disregard.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:16 PM

Ya I think it might be the bail as it no longer closes just from reeling. I have watch so many YouTube videos on all the different ways to spool. Leaving the spoil on the floor, label up, label down, floating in warm water, on a pencil, tight spooled, loosely spooled. I’ve really never put much thought into spoiling a reel as I’ve never had an issue till this one. I think it’s time to upgrade. Any recommendations for a decent light setup reel that won’t brake the bank? Hmm maybe $100 and under. Don’t need the best just something that will work and last. I’ve always bought cheap and never been let down till now but also gets used once a week minimum.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:01 AM

Check out a Pflueger president. Great reel for the price
Old 07-10-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlicmarshmellow View Post
Check out a Pflueger president. Great reel for the price
Thanks. They are on sale at cabelas right now
Old 07-10-2019, 12:23 PM

I bet it's because the bail is not closing all the way. When you start reeling, the first few rounds of line will go up and over the spool. If you don't notice right away, it could be a few or many. Then on your next cast that bunch comes flying off in a big clump, and there you are swearing again.
Besides replacing it or fixing it, make a mental note to close the bail manually before reeling.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:00 AM

Bought a Diawa rg2500h-ab they were also on sale and had great reviews. After reading reviews on the pflueger president it sounds like they used to be better. People have had more problems with the newest model. Thanks for all the help everyone
Old 07-13-2019, 05:38 PM

I’ve been really happy with my Abu Garcia promax I think it’s called?

7 bearing model.

I think they are around $70

Used it 3 or 4 seasons flawlessly and have caught a lot of fish from Perch to monster Walleye and Pike.