Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-09-2019, 04:40 PM

Default Missing fisherman

Any one hear if they found the fisherman that has gone missing at Newell?

Some one said a small tinny out on the lake on Saturday, windy day for sure

Prayers and thoughts with the guys family.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:05 PM

He was a very good personal friend of mine. His body has not yet been found. I participated in the original ground search Saturday night and the water search Sunday. He left behind a wife and two young daughters.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.O. View Post
He was a very good personal friend of mine. His body has not yet been found. I participated in the original ground search Saturday night and the water search Sunday. He left behind a wife and two young daughters.
That's a tough one. Go fishing, don't come back. Condolences B.O. and to the family.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:59 PM
Banned

What size was the boat the poor feller was in?
Old 10-09-2019, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
This 100% sucks. My God, how do they all go on.....
Old 10-09-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Thinking of you & them. Please pass on my condolences. All the best!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-09-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
What size was the boat the poor feller was in?
This boat was pulled up to shore in the search area last sunday, I assume that's the one.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:00 AM

Yes that’s his boat. We found it run a ground. Motor was in gear and the throttle was wide open. Everything in the boat was undesturbed including his life jacket.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:21 AM

PLEASE PLEASE especially when fishing alone put your life jacket on.

Words cannot say how sorry i am for the family especially the children.

Prayers for the family.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:08 AM

I've been following this since it came up on one of my news feeds. Terrible event. I've heard his seat broke? If so, he may have tumbled into the water? Was a windy day Saturday and with the water temps dropping and not wearing a life jacket, it really would have been a bad situation.

I bought a Jackson fishing kayak late this year and had it out twice. I go out alone and always wear a low profile, self inflating life jacket, (don't even know you have it on). I was out the same Saturday as this tragic story on Keho, some of the waves coming up did make me stop and think from time to time that's for sure.

I got to work on Monday morning after hearing about this story and ordered a surfboard leash just in-case I ever did end up falling overboard, so at least I can't get separated from the yak. A guy just can't be too careful when you're out by yourself. This is so terrible for his family.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:18 AM

He had a seat that clamped on to the bench in his boat. When we found the boat the seat and clamp assembly were knocked loose and perched between the bench and transom.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:56 AM

Damn ...
Old 10-10-2019, 01:06 PM

So sad for his family, thing is it could happen to anyone that is not prepared.

This is a serious wake up call to those who don't wear life jackets during the cold season and don't use kill switches.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-10-2019, 10:52 PM

That's the nature of the beast boys. Sometimes you got luck...I remember ripping across touch wood through the narrows with my buddy in early November probly 15 years ago. There hadn't been a boat on that lake for two months I bet. That's how we rolled. I got a little too far to the north and hit a dead head with a 15 horse wide open on a deep v 12 foot. Planed out. Thank god the motor wasn't screwed into the transom like we usually did. Our hands were probly too cold...popped that motor right off the boat and I had one hand on a wide open 15 horse. Quite a handful to say the least, but someone was lookin out for us. If it had been screwed on tight it woulda ripped the back end right off that old sterling 12 ft. If I woulda let go of that motor it woulda been a couple days and some swimming to get back to the campground. It can happen fast never mind the zero degree water that freezes the instant the wind quits blowing. But jeezus we caught some doozies...
Old 10-10-2019, 11:15 PM

That being said, I sure hope it turns out okay for everyone involved. Be careful guys. Life jacket will just help with finding a body...if you don't die of shock, don't think you can float in a huge lake and let the waves push you 15km to shore. That could take days. Pick your days stay fairly close to shore, pay attention to the wind. Prepare for an absolute catastrophe.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:03 AM

Default The water a dangerous place

The best advice ever--Pick your days--wear a l jacket.Even when prepared,things can quickly go wrong in a heart beat.With over 30 yrs winter hunting on the north Atlantic,and very prepared.A rookie broke a golden rule,and pointed the gun barrel down to clear a jam,it went off, and blew a hole in my 22 ft twillingate boat.About 8-10 miles off shore.life jacket no good--It was a close call,and we made it in by the closest of margins.When I hunted alone I would tie myself in.The ultimate nighmare to fall out of a boat with the motor running.Many a boat was found empty over the years--My heart goes out to the family.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:36 AM

Default almost me

I remember when I bought my 12' aluminum and took it out to Pigeon on a nice calm summer day by myself for a shake down cruise. I trolled around the perimeter from the launch and got around to the north side of the lake and that's when I noticed dark clouds approaching from the west.

Thought about going back around the way I came, but then figured I could bolt across the lake and be back at the launch before the big chop came, er...wrong. I was halfway across with the 9.9 when the waves were nearly as high as the gunwales. I could see everybody was pulling their big boats off the lake and I was caught in the middle of the lake on a 12'. I was forced to turn into the waves to prevent a capsize. I made it back obviously, but I have never been that scared on the water before or since. I truly thought I was gonna capsize.

My prayers go out to the family/friends.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:37 AM

So my surfboard leash arrived this morning. Really good quality if I may say, and another safety layer over and above my life jacket. For $20 it's cheap insurance for when I'm out alone if things go wrong and it's delivered right to your door. I'm posting it to this thread in case any others want to consider this an option.

Surfboard Leash Link On Amazon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (83.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (82.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (68.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 04.jpg (82.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 10-11-2019, 10:04 AM

This past Saturday my brother and I took our boys, 4 and 6, out to Calling Lake. We trolled West from the PP boat launch in a heavy chop along the shore and about 1/2 mile from the launch came across a sunken fiberglass boat about 80 feet from shore. Just the bow and windshield visible.

Nobody in sight. And we did dare get too close to shore as the wind was really picking up. We assumed it had been there for a few days.

When the heavy wind chased us back to the launch 2hrs later a fellow mentioned that it the boat had sank that same morning, and that the two guys had to swim to shore. Luckily it was a very short swim.

The wind can prove deadly on any lake. Be careful out there and be watchful for changing conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2019, 10:47 AM

Very tragic indeed. A friend and I flipped a canoe about 10 years ago, lost all our gear but held onto the swamped canoe and made it back to shore. Panic mode can take over in a situation like that but it is important to remember if you fall into water without a life jacket especially and have to swim yourself to shore, first thing to do is kick off your shoes/boots, they will weight you down like cement. If you are wearing a jacket or any baggy/extra clothes rid yourself of them as well asap as you will be far more buoyant and have a much easier time swimming. Once you make it to shore, take off all remaining wet clothes immediately and hang them to dry. If you are lucky enough to keep a lighter in your pocket, blow the flint dry as quickly as possibly and try to make a fire. If you have no other means of communication, make the fire as big as possible, while keeping it controlled. Hopefully someone will spot the blaze in time and the radiant heat from the large fire will dry your clothes quicker.

That's about all I've got. Very tragic circumstance.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:09 AM

SAR helicopter found both his shoes washed up on shore early Saturday and later in the same area his jacket and sweater washed up. All in the same general area as his boat. This indicates to me that he did exactly what was mentioned earlier.
Since this happened. It has consumed every waking thought I’ve had. I’ve read up on cold water survival and everything I’ve read says do not remove clothes, they do not weigh you down in water. Only when out of the water will the weigh you down. Actually the clothes add bouyincie as is evidence by them washing a shore quickly. Your clothes also offer thermal protection in the water.
What I read says your risk in cold water is not drowning but initial shock and then rapid heat loss. That’s why a properly fitted life vest saves lives. It offers protection from heat loss and flotation allowing you to curl into a ball to mitigate heat loss.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:22 AM

That is horrible, very sad to hear that news. Poor family.

Be safe out there everyone, use this brutal lesson as a reminder. I will defiinitely be more dilligent with my life jacket. Its easy to become complacent.

Ive been in some bad situations before and always got pretty lucky i think. Sometimes things just dont go your way. Those seat brackets arent great, i fished in a boat with them for years and we had some issues with them coming off in bad weather at times.

Stay safe everyone.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:14 AM

My condolences to the family firstly. God bless them. Secondly has there been any updates on the recovery?
Old 10-14-2019, 12:14 PM

RCMP and search and rescue were out all day yesterday.
Seem to be running a grid pattern in the bay to the south of the kinbrook cabin area.
It was glass calm all day, I left at 5:30 and they were still searching then.
First time I’ve worn my pfd all day.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:43 PM

Very sad. I worked with him around 2005. A great guy. RIP
Old 10-14-2019, 08:55 PM

There’s no update yet. SAR said they’ll search until the lake freezes. We had a memorial for Clint this past Friday. Thanks to everyone for the prayers. I pray for his family and miss him a lot.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:56 PM

My condolences to family and friends, I have been involved in more than a few search and recoveries and know the anguish involved.

I too have a clmap on seat in my 12' tinner for when I am alone( I use the center bench then) and it has on more than one occasion surprised me by working loose!
I am particularly careful when using it and never go out without a life jacket, even i my big boat.
Cat
Old 10-14-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
There’s no update yet. SAR said they’ll search until the lake freezes. We had a memorial for Clint this past Friday. Thanks to everyone for the prayers. I pray for his family and miss him a lot.
God bless you all
Old 10-18-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I am saddened by this: I totally understand when I lost my best hunting buddy....

I hope SAR locates him soon for final closure.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:02 PM

Deeply saddening when these things happen. My prayers and condolences to the man's family.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets