Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-11-2014, 08:23 AM

Default Cell phone at the bottom of Jackfish Lake!!!!

So myself and the wife took the kids out sunday for some ice fishing fun at Jackfish Lake... 20min after the lines were in the water my wife pops her cell out to snap a pic of the kids....It didn't even bounce of the edge of the ice, straight in!!!!!!!!! Prob 400 pics and 15-20 videos of the kids on there. It's sitting below 14-15' of water!! Grrrrrrr, I was asking around and they say if I can get it they can recover the info from the sim card. So.... Any Ideas guys???
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrador1 View Post
So myself and the wife took the kids out sunday for some ice fishing fun at Jackfish Lake... 20min after the lines were in the water my wife pops her cell out to snap a pic of the kids....It didn't even bounce of the edge of the ice, straight in!!!!!!!!! Prob 400 pics and 15-20 videos of the kids on there. It's sitting below 14-15' of water!! Grrrrrrr, I was asking around and they say if I can get it they can recover the info from the sim card. So.... Any Ideas guys???
Thanks in advance.
What's the depth at? You might be able to use a GPS for location, and snorkel down in the summer. Those are priceless memories in pics of the fam.
Might be a entertaining trip too.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:34 AM

If it's an iPhone everything will be backed up on iCloud
Old 03-11-2014, 08:41 AM

Ya, its at around 14-15' deep there, I did put the way point in my phone to be sure where it is, not sure if I could get down that deep without a tank or a rock on my back, lol. Icloud is great but we dont have it turned on(leason learned).
Old 03-11-2014, 08:44 AM

Default Cellphone in lake

We recovered one using a piece of 4" plastic pipe, fishing camera and a shop vac!!! Used camera to get pipe over phone and stuck into muddy bottom then sucked water out with vac and latched onto phone with shop vac. May not work if it's a rocky bottom where you can't get a seal between the pipe and bottom? We were only in 11 ft of water as well. Hope this helps. SIM card may be ratched if it's left too long under water?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:01 AM

Depending on the bottom you might have a really hard time.....it will not take very long to be sucked into the mud on the bottom! Good luck but i wouldn't leave it very long like someone said or it will be a really hard time......my sons ipod is entertaining pike/walleye in the bottom of Newell.....kid has good taste in music!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2014, 09:05 AM

That sounds good, pretty sure I have all the supplies for that also! I'm working on Sat but it looks like it's gonna be an interesting Sunday, My 4 year old boy said last nite; "me and you can get it dad, we just have to try really hard"!!! so either way it has to come up!!

Thanks, for the ideas!
Old 03-11-2014, 09:20 AM

Get one of those telescoping paint handles, and attach a suction cup to the end. If it's a smartphone with a large surface area, you'll have something to stick to...

A light bulb changer pole may work as well.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:36 AM

ya good idea too stinky buffalo, it hase a life proof case so a suction cup may work, hope the case will help with the sim card as well.maybe a telescoping paint handle with a grabber attached-extend the string on the handle of the grabber and hope for the best. A guy at work has a underwater cam with a DC powered TV, I'm gonna borrow it, hope it's not too murky down at the bottom. Maybe I should video this attempted recovery, might be a laugh!
Old 03-11-2014, 09:40 AM

My buddy did the exact same thing at Gull Lake last weekend. Those waterproof cases are amazing! With the underwater camera we could see who was calling / texting him for hours after he dropped it. Unfortunately we were unable to retrieve!
Old 03-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Banned

i have reteived a few items that fell in hole with a strong magnet attached to string. don't know if an i-phone can be picked up with a magnet.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:13 AM

been there done that.....3 or 4 tent poles duct taped together with the jiffy ladle duct taped to the end....camera down a hole a few feet away to help line it up.

scoop er up
Old 03-11-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Maybe I should video this attempted recovery, might be a laugh!
Oh, please do!

The light bulb changer pole often comes with a grabber and suction cup attachment... If you have your own pole, the attachments can be bought separately for about $10.

The only issue with the grabber, though, is that it's only a slip type, so you may need to rig up something that lets you open it up when you reach the phone... Maybe mount some eyelets on each stem with paracord running through them?

Hope you get it back!
Old 03-11-2014, 10:57 AM

Thanks guys, I'm making a list of materials, if I have multiple options im sure it will be a pc of cake!! Maybe i'll add a chainsaw to the list also!!!
Old 03-11-2014, 11:16 AM

So apple doesn't have an app for that? lol

Good luck, hardest part is just going to be finding it again I would think.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:26 AM

Default Phone

If it's not wet and dead you can phone it to make it light up. Be careful with anything that takes pressure to attach itself to the phone as it will be pushed into the muddy bottom when you try to latch on. That was my first attempt but should work if the bottom is rocky.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Get one of those telescoping paint handles, and attach a suction cup to the end. If it's a smartphone with a large surface area, you'll have something to stick to...

A light bulb changer pole may work as well.
or golf ball retriever with a dip net on the end.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Banned

Youre an ice fisherman... you must have a scoop for cleaning holes. Rig that at a 90 to your long handle? You will need a camera of course, and a good amount of luck!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...Gj5ekBjogc7KuB
Old 03-11-2014, 12:03 PM

Maybe the iphone 6 will have a app for that!!!! I have the ice scoop on the list to take also, with the camera and knowing exactally where it is, I hope it will be a painless recovery! Thanks, Again.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:05 PM

Might want a saw to make the hole bigger.

Or the Wayne Christie double hole method

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 03-11-2014, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Maybe the iphone 6 will have a app for that!!!! I have the ice scoop on the list to take also, with the camera and knowing exactally where it is, I hope it will be a painless recovery! Thanks, Again.
Just remember that a flat object like that may not sink straight down so it might be a couple of feet or more from where it was dropped.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:14 PM

someone should invent an attachment for the water proof life proof case.. Put a screw on eyelet in the audio jack so you can always hook it and fish it back up.

Good luck with you adventure!
Old 03-11-2014, 12:21 PM

We lost a cell phone saturday at gull in same depth of water. We cutdown 2 long straight willow trees and attached the ice scoop on one and a small fishing net on the other. We were able to use the underwater camera to help bring the 2 together and resuce the phone. Took the guys about 4 hours, but they got it. Phone was in the water proof case, no damage, bone dry.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:30 PM

Why not cut a giant hole and send the wife in!
Old 03-11-2014, 12:31 PM

Ya prob going to have to drill a couple holes for the camera to locate it especially if had drifted away from the hole on the way to the bottom.
Thats good to hear brent. hope the life proof case keeps it dry as well, the phone and the case are only a few months old!
Old 03-11-2014, 12:33 PM

fish face, maybe I'll leave that one up to you to tell my wife!!! LOL
Old 03-11-2014, 12:52 PM

Make sure you let us know how it goes. Lots of good ideas. I'm pulling for ya!
Old 03-11-2014, 01:01 PM

I will post the outcome for sure, maybe even a few underwater pics!! LOL
Old 03-11-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
someone should invent an attachment for the water proof life proof case.. Put a screw on eyelet in the audio jack so you can always hook it and fish it back up.

Good luck with you adventure!
Or you could just use the floating version:

http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/ca_en/...iphone-5-case/
Old 03-11-2014, 01:17 PM

http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/ca_en/...iphone-5-case/
03-11-2014 01:01 PM

Hmmm... Maybe the wife's next Birthday Gift!!!!