Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-15-2014, 05:08 PM

Default Wizard dead slow

Anyone else fish wizard today? Moved three times....not a bite! First one ever getting skunked there.

LC
Old 03-15-2014, 06:57 PM

Wink

ive been out at wizard almost every weekend in the last month and a half and have had a great day with more bites and flags go than anywhere ive been all year. they were all under 63 but lots of action. at times there were 5 small pike around hook on camera. they were all about 5-6 feet off bottom. usually I catch them a lot lower toward bottom 1-2 feet. I was out with a few great forum members today as well out on vegreville and nobody got one bite either. I am blaming it on the wind direction! lol. coming from the south has never been productive for me. Either way that is weird that you never got one at wizard. Where were you? we always just stayed around jubilee landing campgroundon north side anywhere from 5 feet deep to 20 feet and always good on anything with bait on it.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:08 PM

I have fished Wizard many many times and always have seen fish on the camera...even if they weren't biting. Also had many days like you described.

Nothing today....was fishing on the South side far West end, the other folks I talked to had nothing either!

LC
Old 03-15-2014, 08:07 PM

another dead lake
Old 03-16-2014, 08:02 PM

Was out yesterday too. Had a bigger one on the hook, but the darn leader broke! Saw a few perch on the camera, but they couldn't be enticed. Might head out tomorrow for the last time.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #4fisherman View Post
Was out yesterday too. Had a bigger one on the hook, but the darn leader broke! Saw a few perch on the camera, but they couldn't be enticed. Might head out tomorrow for the last time.
how big are these perch? never get perch in this lake, maybe try it tomorrow too..
Old 03-16-2014, 11:37 PM

Biggest perch I've ever caught in wizard was 11 inches. Maybe 3/4 pound. And that was a few years ago. I am sure there are a few 1/2 lb. but not many.

Best pike I know was caught was a 21 lb. in about 1970. My personal best in wizard is 14. About 6 years ago.

I am curious if anyone with a underwater camera has ever seen some of the bigger common suckers on camera? Some big suckers in Wizard.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Biggest perch I've ever caught in wizard was 11 inches. Maybe 3/4 pound. And that was a few years ago. I am sure there are a few 1/2 lb. but not many.

Best pike I know was caught was a 21 lb. in about 1970. My personal best in wizard is 14. About 6 years ago.

I am curious if anyone with a underwater camera has ever seen some of the bigger common suckers on camera? Some big suckers in Wizard.
When I was a kid I used to shoot suckers with my little fibreglass Bow and wooden arrows in a run off stream.....I have seen a couple on camera but not many.

LC
Old 03-17-2014, 10:39 AM

My buddy's dad caught a 20 lbs pike from his dock 4-5 years ago. There's a few big pike in there. Very well fed fish in that lake!

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma
Old 03-17-2014, 10:47 AM

Default Wizard

I was out there on March 8th and 15th. We caught only one. I have had a cabin there for 35 years and have never seen it so slow. Usually can catch them quite easy, but not this spring.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
I was out there on March 8th and 15th. We caught only one. I have had a cabin there for 35 years and have never seen it so slow. Usually can catch them quite easy, but not this spring.
Exactly what I noticed.

LC
Old 03-17-2014, 11:59 AM

Could it be with all the snow melting and more sun getting through the ice that the fish are in there pre-spawning areas earlier than normal?
Old 03-17-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Could it be with all the snow melting and more sun getting through the ice that the fish are in there pre-spawning areas earlier than normal?
Perhaps....but one area I always fish and I have never been skunked I saw no fish and had no hits....

Some other older fellows came by on a SXS and asked if I had any luck....they had caught 6 perch in the 3-6 inch range and saw no pike and had no pike bites.

Strangely slow compared to past years at this same time.

LC
Old 03-17-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I agree. I read the water temp and it was 6 degree's. We're catching big walleye in spawning locations during mid day. They're feeding heavy. U just gotta find them!

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma
Old 03-18-2014, 10:59 AM

That lake is DEAD !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2014, 11:23 PM

I tried Wizard today. No problem to drive on, but I chose to walk---actually it was a very nice walking by dragging all my gears with me since there was no snow on the top of ice.

About one foot of good ice on the top but sluggish after that. Water was not clear, no way to see the bottom. Fish still there but they need oxygen I guess. One burbot even float up into the hole I drilled to breath, surprised me a little bit.

Fish still biting but my usual hot spots all dead. I moved a little deep, then the game still on...
Old 03-19-2014, 07:01 AM

Judging by what you saw...it may be headed toward a winter kill.

LC