Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-15-2014, 08:00 PM

Default Whitefish and wireworms...

Hey guys...

Just learning still about whitefish and have started to make my own wireworms. Already had success on my own hooks (which is a bonus!!), but I want to make a bunch of them. I have made some in yellow, orange, white bare copper and red.

I salvaged some excellent thin wire and it works well on my #6 baitholder hooks. Just curious what other colors to make them out of? I have black, brown, grey and bare aluminum....but what about blue, green, and purple?

Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140315_193602.jpg (41.4 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg 20140315_193607.jpg (42.5 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg 20140315_200032.jpg (44.0 KB, 251 views)

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 03-15-2014, 08:07 PM

Great hook, I have good success with copper and yellow and gold as well.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Banned

I would try to imitate this. All the ones we landed today regurgitated a bunch of these guys when they were caught.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:15 PM

A gold wire base with a neon yellow bulb is absolute dinamite with a #8 hook,the #8 hook is the perfect size hook for 3-5lb whites,if you catch one just put the hook in its mouth and realize how small there mouth really is,but the key is to have a light enough wire worm so it free falls naturally and not to fast,and it has to be light enough weight so that when they inhale it,it naturally floats into there mouth if not they will exhale and move on in one motion when they are not fully committing,there is a ton of color variation so make sure you have a hand full of rods that are acessable quickly with diffrent colore variegation on them when the come Rollin through to see what they are lookin for that day
Hope this helps out a bit if not feel free to ask,I'm no expert but I've caught a pile of wites and I can only share what I have learned over the years
Old 03-15-2014, 09:17 PM
Banned

by the way, where did you get those wires? They don't seem like the metallic ones you buy from fly shops
Old 03-15-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslice View Post
I would try to imitate this. All the ones we landed today regurgitated a bunch of these guys when they were caught.

Bingo,everybody take note if you tie hooks
This little clue will change your whole whity fishing forever at least in southern AB were I fish
Old 03-15-2014, 09:55 PM

Wow...thanks guys. I will tie some up like that litlle bugger in the pic!

I got the wire from an old computer serial port cable....it had all of these colors in it. Jackpot! Too bad it doesnt have any gold in it though...

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 03-15-2014, 10:10 PM

The dull gold base with yellow bulb is a great go to pending on day and mood one of my top 5 for sure For wireworm but lots of other hook variations to pick from and body to body of water will derasticly change in the whites moodes big time
Old 03-15-2014, 11:21 PM

A great man to take advice from on this topick is specks I've learned from him a pile in quite some time from his posts,he's in a completely diffrent area for water and finicky whity moods I'm sure when he see your OP he will help out also He always been exceptionally helpfully to a lot of people hats off
Old 03-15-2014, 11:25 PM

February and March are good times for copper color too. whitefish follow the spawning lingcod around and suck up their copper colored eggs.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:14 AM

Here are some of the ones I tied tonight. I think the copper and the orange might be winners...but we will see tomorrow morning!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140316_001215.jpg (45.4 KB, 196 views)

Old 03-16-2014, 12:40 AM

If you really wanna do some damage jack&7 take that yellow bead head off that yellow wire worm and put it on the opposite side of the hook on the copper hook and glue it there,in my world around the brooks and area they hone in on the yellow comin in on the right side of the hook every time and just about 100% hook up rates.80% of the whites I catch on wire wormes always have a neon bulb on the end o the wireworm on the hook side it's like they hone in on it,but this is just one aPplication of the wireworm that I use but my favorite
Old 03-16-2014, 12:42 AM

But great job tien nice tight wraps looks and apperience are everything to these eye strainers lol
Old 03-18-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslice View Post

Well Gslice...I took your advice and came up with this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140318_221430.jpg (44.0 KB, 164 views)

Old 03-18-2014, 10:53 PM

here are mine

David
Old 03-18-2014, 10:55 PM
Banned

better hurry! only 2 more weeks left
Old 03-18-2014, 10:56 PM

The best wire I found is telephone wire, get it from your local telus guy,,it will be in a grey water proof cable just cut, and unwind

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 03-19-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
Well Gslice...I took your advice and came up with this:
good work! looks good, but try to not go too far past the bend as it will affect the efficiency of the hook! other then that, you have a winner!
Old 03-19-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret coulee View Post
If you really wanna do some damage jack&7 take that yellow bead head off that yellow wire worm and put it on the opposite side of the hook on the copper hook and glue it there,in my world around the brooks and area they hone in on the yellow comin in on the right side of the hook every time and just about 100% hook up rates.80% of the whites I catch on wire wormes always have a neon bulb on the end o the wireworm on the hook side it's like they hone in on it,but this is just one aPplication of the wireworm that I use but my favorite
I think I know what you mean, SC...but if you had a pic, that would be great. I will try to tie some as you describe.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
here are mine

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbstomps View Post
good work! looks good, but try to not go too far past the bend as it will affect the efficiency of the hook! other then that, you have a winner!
Hmmmm...I see what I am doing wrong here...and I think Kirbstomps has also pointed it out: I am going too far onto the bend of the hook. Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate it.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:46 PM

An old friend found a belly full of one and a half inch sized crayfish in the belly of a four pound white. He mentioned this to the head Calgary bio and took the belly in as well to prove his findings. The bio hadn't seen this previously. Newell white by the way.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_man View Post
An old friend found a belly full of one and a half inch sized crayfish in the belly of a four pound white. He mentioned this to the head Calgary bio and took the belly in as well to prove his findings. The bio hadn't seen this previously. Newell white by the way.
In havin a really hard time with this,inch and a half cray fish is Gunna be about 3/4 wide with tallons,a four pound wite that's all he could do if he could do it,and for how finacky of feeders that they are well let me tell you what that was the wolf of all meat eaters to get er done,very cool finding though
Old 03-19-2014, 09:19 PM

Jack&7 just shoot me a pm I'll give you some pics from my phone to yours I'm utterly useless with this posting pics with my Phone havent figured it out yet and wouldn't mind you posting on here if this helps