Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-10-2019, 11:45 PM

Default got a week off for fishing and tent camping

I live in Okotoks and have 8 days off coming up in 2 weeks.Looking to go somewhere different within 3-4 hours away with a nice treed campground and decent boat launch.Not chasing anything specific,99% catch and release.Will bring pike, trout,walleye gear.Would be nice to be able to beach boat at campsite rather than load and unload every day.14 foot tinner with gas and electric motors.Going alone so if you would like to join me for a day the company would be welcome and I will be a tent camping 60 year old guy.420 friendly and slightly alcoholic.LOL I usually go to Payne or beaver mines but would like a change although I love the scenery and ambiance of those campgrounds.Not interested in the K country tourist trap or the noise and citifiedness of that place.Caroline/Rocky mountain house area maybe
Old 07-11-2019, 12:13 AM

Sound like my kinda buddy. To bad your down south I’d stop for a beer and a fish!
Old 07-11-2019, 08:20 AM

Rock Lake near Hinton could be a possibility. Rough road going in though.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:55 AM

fish lake by Nordegg is a nice campground and lake. good boat launch and if you can get one of the sites by the lake that would be a bonus. they go pretty quick in summer. although not the best shore for tying up a boat it can be done as long as you tie off both ends. also lots of other fishing spots in the area to go to.
only bad part of fish lake is not much for size (rainbows) in the lake as it gets hit hard and it is a very popular spot so gets crowded.

other nice lake is Peppers lake. brookies in it and it does have a few spots alongside the lake. better chance at a little bigger ones in Peppers. not sure how busy it is in summer though.

rgds
Mike
Old 07-11-2019, 11:17 AM

Fairfax lake,One hour north of Nordegg on the trunkroad.
Smaller camp sight. Stocked with rainbows. $11.00 /night.Free firewood.
Mostly for smaller units or tents but a few spots for larger units.Only 5 or six spots are for pre registration. Beautiful little lake. Always loons, eagles and ospreys around. Blackstone and Brown creek are nearby if you want cut throat.
Also Muskiki lake (no campsite) with cuthroats.No atvs allowed.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokajoe View Post
Fairfax lake,One hour north of Nordegg on the trunkroad.
Smaller camp sight. Stocked with rainbows. $11.00 /night.Free firewood.
Mostly for smaller units or tents but a few spots for larger units.Only 5 or six spots are for pre registration. Beautiful little lake. Always loons, eagles and ospreys around. Blackstone and Brown creek are nearby if you want cut throat.
Also Muskiki lake (no campsite) with cuthroats.No atvs allowed.
I was going to suggest fairfax, nice lake and the trout tast good.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:51 PM

Sometimes overlooked...Brazeau dam. Lots of space and trees. Some places to open camp. A variety of fish in the reservoir and tributaries. Pike, rockies and trout. Best tasting pike I ever ate. Be bear smart.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-11-2019, 02:09 PM

If you've been to Payne Lake you've also probably been to Police Lake, but if not , it's a nice place to camp too, and the lake has some decent sized rainbows in it this year.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:49 PM

Talking moose ,Im heading for burnstick lake for a few days starting sunday July 21.Its still a couple hours away for you but I would welcome the company.Look for a silver nissan titan and the boat is a white sea nymph with gas and elec. motors.I will be tenting and hopefully on a shore spot so I dont have to trailer the boat every day
Old 07-11-2019, 10:54 PM

Default thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.I've decided on burnstick by caroline and maybe go over to cow lake for a few days as well and maybe hit beaver just down the road to try for a tiger trout.Biggest factor is trying to get a campsite where I can beach the boat beside it.Im going alone and having to load and unload the boat every day is a major factor in where to go.If anyone would like to join me for a day let me know,company is always welcome.I fish all the southern lakes and reservoirs and just really want a change of scenery

Last edited by hairycanary; 07-11-2019 at 10:57 PM. Reason: addsome info
Old 07-11-2019, 11:00 PM

Another lake in that area to check out is Swan lake for lakers , browns and pike.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets