Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-11-2019, 07:00 PM

Default gull lake boat launch

I will be going to try gull on the weekend and need some info. on a good boat launch. I have a bigger boat 18'.

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:35 PM

I have launched my 18' bayliner at Sandy Point and Aspen Beach (brewers side). Of note, the public launch at aspen is semi barricaded to allow for only small 12' or canoes as its very shallow but they are allowing people to launch right next at the brewers launch which was only accessible if you camped at brewers. I've launched there numerous times this year and it's ok, does the job. It will be busy I'm sure this weekend but get there early and you'll be fine.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:32 AM

Default Sandy Point

If you use Sandy Point be very aware of some sort of rock garden. I have heard it said that one one point years ago there was a road crossing the lake. A friend of mine bent his prop pretty good and heard of another guy needing help getting back to shore. Careful. BEL
Old 07-12-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL View Post
If you use Sandy Point be very aware of some sort of rock garden. I have heard it said that one one point years ago there was a road crossing the lake. A friend of mine bent his prop pretty good and heard of another guy needing help getting back to shore. Careful. BEL
No road across Gull. Spent most summers there for 40 odd years. Some areas are shallow and rocky but since the 50s never seen a road
Old 07-12-2019, 11:48 AM

The launch at Sandy point is good, but once out of the marina it's very shallow. There is a map right at the launch showing you the rock hazards. Don't go left once in the lake, idle straight out several hundred yards (actually a fair ways).

There's another launch a little north of Sandy on the west side. Off Highway 771 on Township road 420. Paved right into the lake.

Also northeast corner by Raymond shores on township road 422.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL View Post
If you use Sandy Point be very aware of some sort of rock garden. I have heard it said that one one point years ago there was a road crossing the lake.
As for this road, not sure it existed, but have seen a weird under water hazard there before. So around 2008-2009 we were boating in the Sandy point area. Had to make a sharp turn because there were birds standing on top of the water. After checking it out, there was a rock pile right at the surface. This pile was in a perfectly straight line at least 2-300 yards from shore. Also in 10 ft of water, we idled right up to it. never did figure out what it was. It even showed on google earth for some time. After that year I could never find it again. So when someone mentioned this road, it just reminded me of our encounter.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:37 PM

Like I said, I have heard there was a road. Maybe so, maybe not true. Prop killer in that area to be sure. BEL
Old 07-12-2019, 05:57 PM

An old fellow who passed in his 90's and lived in the Gull Lake area said there is a fair amount of old farm equipment that has been drowned in Gull.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 07-12-2019, 06:04 PM

Default Gull lake boat launch

Thanks for all the info.