Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-15-2024, 05:42 PM

Default Chain Lakes Reservoir Ice Conditions Questions

Does anyone know if the ice conditions at Chain Lakes Reservoir south of Calgary are still safe to walk on? If so, how is the fishing? Visiting Calgary this weekend with my kids and brought the ice fishing gear. Never been there before and looking for some information.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:13 PM

Mar 13, there were people still driving on the ice. I didn't measure but maybe 16'' or so. Temperatures are cooler than in Calgary so I think it will be OK.

Bring bait, dew worms and/or corn and/or maggots and fish by the dyke in 9'-12' of water or so. In the morning is better. Usually fishing is good but there are some odd days when you don't catch.

I think it will be slush on the ice so a good idea is to have waterproof boots and maybe ice cleats. In any case you don't have to walk far from the shore to catch fish if they bite.

Good luck.
Old 03-16-2024, 10:38 AM

I was there on Tues. the 12th.

No issue driving on , several trucks on ice most north of the launch and several shacks including 3 rentals on the ice.

Ice was still hard over 2ft. but I think with this weather I will walk on, fishn was very slow 5 hr. 2 fish and after bait fishn for 4 hrs. finally caught the 2 on a small chubby darta. Talked to several other guys and they all were experiencing a slow day as well.

Good Luck