Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 12:48 PM
Banned

Please join www.canadiangunnutz.com as its a nation wide forum for gun owners and many will have questions for you.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinOTooleCPC View Post

Erin

P.S. I will be back in a few days to try and answer some questions in this thread.
As another mentioned, would you make firearm ownership a constitutional right? After Chretien cuffed us with gun control, Harper fund-raised like mad, and for 7 years about firearms rights. Where did those donations get us? 11 years later, the RCMP create laws as they choose, and the Liberals try to strip our rights. What will you do if elected leader, then PM, to insure our rights remain when you eventually lose as PM, and once again, replaced by the Liberals? Or should firearm ownerships rights, be a pawn played by political parties to garner income term after term after term after term?

Also, do you have any plans for Quebec if you were elected PM?
Old 11-27-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
....Also, do you have any plans for Quebec if you were elected PM?
I want to ask the same question and other questions but as you've pointed out we have already had a CPC government. It was the CPC that left in place all the rules currently being used against firearm owners and the Canadian cultures dating back hundreds of years that have used firearms to explore, colonise, settle, farm and create Canada.

So I want to ask questions but obviously I'll get the same answers as before, which resulted in a major betrayal. Why would today's CPC be any different? If the CPC were going to do anything different they would have done so when they had the chance and said they would.

I think that is the problem. Nothing anyone running for election says can be trusted, and in particular any CPC member saying they would reform anything.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:04 PM

Maybe wait until Erin logs back in instead of arguing with other members , guys
Or contact him by his email
Cat
Old 11-27-2016, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I would ask him the same questions face to face. If he thinks this is rough, wait until the NDP and Liberal party faithful start tearing him apart if hes elected leader. Most of the guys on here have voted conservative at some point, so were generally on his side. Just want to know his views on certain things and how he differs from Harper who many Canadians were disenfranchaised with last election.
X2

I don't think anyone was attacking him.

Either way, he's in with both feet. AO is easy compared to real life politics.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:15 PM

In this present day political climate asking someone to run on a platform with a policy of allowing people to carry handguns anywhere they want will pretty much guarantee their political suicide.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
In this present day political climate asking someone to run on a platform with a policy of allowing people to carry handguns anywhere they want will pretty much guarantee their political suicide.
Yes.........and allowing them to be used for hunting would be a provincial matter anyway.

Hey....................back on topic
Old 11-27-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Yes.........and allowing them to be used for hunting would be a provincial matter anyway.

Hey....................back on topic
You cant use a handgun for hunting or protection in the wild right now, because its illegal to transport them in the wild. The only way around this is to become a licensed trapper.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
How is it not an issue when other Consevative candidates have already taken a stand on it? Do you vote for a candidate only knowing 1 thing they stand for? That would explain how we got Notley.
It's very simple .
He was stating his stand on firearms and you decided to try and take the thread in a different direction when the OP has not even logged back onto yet .
That is how threads get derailed , people get bent out of shape and threads eventually get closed .
Cat
Old 11-28-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
You cant use a handgun for hunting or protection in the wild right now, because its illegal to transport them in the wild. The only way around this is to become a licensed trapper.
It's still a provincial issue. Not an issue for for the Feds. The CFO for Alberta can allow handguns for hunting if he and Parks/Env allow it. That's all it takes
Old 11-28-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
It's still a provincial issue. Not an issue for for the Feds. The CFO for Alberta can allow handguns for hunting if he and Parks/Env allow it. That's all it takes
Never realized that, always thought it would be Federal. Cant say I know as much about the handgun laws since I dont have one. That would probably change though if I could take one with me hunting for protection.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Then why don't you start your own thread, PM him on it on it and quit wrecking this one?

I'm not even going to go into details...........
Personally, I have respect for Mr. O'Toole. Having served his country in the Armed Forces and also practiced as a lawyer strikes me as a good background for a legislator. But I also think it fair game to question him on all his positions when he comes on the forum to campaign. I don't see it as a "derail". Would you allow Premier Notley to come onto the forum to announce her creation of a park and drum up support for her government and not have anyone question her positions on other issues such as the carbon tax?

I think AO opens up a can of worms when they allow politicians to come onto the forum to campaign. If it's to be allowed, I think the best you can hope for and demand is that the discourse is civil.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:57 PM
Banned

Admin should sticky this thread.

If you ever wonder why things go sideways....

Our own worst enemy has been and will continue to be ourselves.

When you can no longer own a firearm and hunt.

Ask yourselves why?

When you realize the answer lies with those that squandered opportunities to give a respectable argument 'FOR'

Lose to those that are 'Opposed ' because they didn't.

Do you give a child a toy because he cries and stomps his feet and says because all kids have the right to toys,
Or do you reward the good behaviour and the best judgement.

3 pages in this thread and if it was me, I wouldn't waste my time coming back again.

No one to blame but ourselves.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:06 PM

Good idea , but it is a political thread and this is not a party oriented forum..
I have also cleaned up this mess as best I can so that when Erin comes back
(IF he decides to after possibly looking in offline) then the firearms questions themselves can be addressed and hopefully he can answer them .
If anyone has any other questions for him they can do it in a PM or email him.
Any more derailing off topic posts will be dealt with .

I'm very sure that the member has other views and positions, but the one he addressed here was the firearms issue, nothing more.
Do not try to make it into something other than that .
Cat
Old 11-29-2016, 01:48 AM

Default The CPC - firearms owners BFF?

Mr. O'Toole:

I received this email the other day from your competitor in this leadership race, our former Public Safety Minster - now also running for the CPC leadership.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear "Deer_Hunter",
As Public Safety Minister in the Harper government, I got thousands of letters from law abiding citizens asking to be treated with dignity and not like criminals just because they liked hunting or sport shooting. These are fundamental traditional and patrimonial Canadian activities.

It is no wonder liberals treat legitimate firearm owners with such disdain. They are considered second class Canadians. The Liberals clearly outlined their vision with Liberal Justice Allan Rock saying : "I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

I disagree very strongly with that view.

As a response, I introduced and passed the "Common Sense Firearm Licensing Act (C-42)" with the help of dedicated conservative parliamentarians like MP's Garry Breitkreuz from Saskatchewan and Robert "Bob" Sopuck from Manitoba.

However, we are not done yet. We need to further fix the Liberals’ wrongdoings without compromising safety. Therefore, today I present you with my "Respect for gun owners” reform.

With the Charter of Rights of Gun Owners, I will reaffirm the rights of law abiding gun owners and add oversight by hiring an ombudsman to protect their rights. I will also streamline the complicated and biased firearm classification system. Instead of having the RCMP deal with it, I will transfer the Canadian Firearms Program directly to the Ministry of Public Safety, where it should always have been.

I want to restore the service standards which I put in place and which the Liberals just abolished a few months ago for the new firearms evaluation process. I want to avoid bureaucrats dragging their feet to promote a hidden agenda. I want to avoid erratic decisions like the Swiss Arms nightmare by putting a fair and transparent review process in place.

Finally, I will restore the precious Firearms Advisory Committee which was scrapped by the Liberals. In the past, this committee’s advice proved invaluable.

I want to keep our country safe and keep illegal guns out of our streets without strangling law abiding citizens with tons of worthless red tape.

I did it and will keep doing it because that is the right thing to do.

Can I count on your support to achieve this goal? What are your views and ideas on this important matter?

Donate now $12, $22 or $42 so I can be your real voice and deliver these common sense policies.

I thank you for your attention. It's time to restore sanity in Ottawa.

Regards,

Steven Blaney

The Honorable Steven Blaney is the former Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Minister and leadership candidate for the Conservative Party of Canada. He is currently the Member of Parliament for Bellechasse, Les Etchemins and Lévis.

Donate
Copyright © Steven Blaney 2017, All rights reserved. Tous droits réservés.

Our mailing address is/ Notre adresse postale est:
Steven Blaney 2017
1264 rue Grenats
Lévis, Quebec G6W 7M5
Canada

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Voulez-vous changer la façon dont vous recevez ces courriels?
Vous pouvez changer vos préférences ou vous désinscrire de cette liste
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

While it sounds like the CPC is our savior - this would be factually incorrect.

This is the same individual, and the same political party, that apparently (according to the NFA and the CBC) met with the RCMP at least twice specifically about the impending re-classification of the Swiss Arms rifles and then pretended to shocked when it happened.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/swis...aney-1.2640268

He and Mr. Harper and the CPC then sat around and did nothing until a day before the election was called and fixed the whole mess with an order in council (something they could have done the day after the re-classification).

Now he (and the CPC) are trying to re-paint themselves as some white knight which came to save firearms owners.

Based on the evidence we have from the NFA and the CBC - we know that this is not true - Conservative MPs colluded with the RCMP in this re-classification.

He (and the CPC) knew about it before hand.

He (and the CPC) could have fixed this immediately with an order in council.

They chose not to fix it and do nothing .....for months.... and to use this as a wedge issue to try and drive gun owners to the polls to vote for them.

My question is - given what we know about the CPC's history and poor track record with providing meaningful support for firearms owners - how will you be different than your predecessors?

I will not simply vote for the CPC (nor any leadership candidate) based on vague assertions of "support" for firearms owners.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
When you realize the answer lies with those that squandered opportunities to give a respectable argument 'FOR' ....
Canada was explored, colonized, settled, farmed and created by cultures that used firearms to accomplish those goals and for defence and for recreation. Cultural rights of those who created Canada and have been here for hundreds of years doesn't need an argument 'FOR'.

But I do agree, we have only ourselves to blame when we continue to vote for parties that do not represent our interests when they are in power.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:52 AM
Banned

So? Lets get a show of hands?

How many people signed up or donated because a politician stands with firearms owners? Anyone expect Erin to come back or was this for buying votes and support?

Just like Harper did.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:58 AM

He ain't coming back.

P.S. Many things people asked about are never going to happen, regardless of who is elected.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:22 PM

Yep...a drive-by campaign.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I guess Erin doesn't have time to check back in and boost his post count to 2.....about what I would expect. Shill the outdoorsmen for donations based on a 'policy' that you know will appeal, and whoosh......
Well all most a month later only 1 post.... Typical political behavior shoots mouth off and no answers to questions.....
I would not consider this guy, he says he supports us but has no time to get back and answer questions, well thats just rude.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:52 PM

Comes on here with one post...born in Montreal and grew up in Ontario and thinking I am going to vote for him...**** off
Old 12-20-2016, 04:00 PM

Old 12-20-2016, 05:19 PM

He probably got all the info he needed if he was surfing the site before the over 30 posts were removed that had nothing to do with his original post .
Cat
Old 12-20-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitumen Bullet View Post
Canada was explored, colonized, settled, farmed and created by cultures that used firearms to accomplish those goals and for defence and for recreation. Cultural rights of those who created Canada and have been here for hundreds of years doesn't need an argument 'FOR'.

But I do agree, we have only ourselves to blame when we continue to vote for parties that do not represent our interests when they are in power.
Our Culture should be protected under the Canadian Constitution the same as other cultures are. Especially with all the immigration that is going on, some things should be looked after, and I'm not just suggesting something like the 2nd amendment in the usa....
Old 12-20-2016, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Our Culture should be protected under the Canadian Constitution the same as other cultures are. Especially with all the immigration that is going on, some things should be looked after, and I'm not just suggesting something like the 2nd amendment in the usa....
I think something like the 2nd amendment is quite possibly the purest form of freedom. It give the right of defense to the individual. More important than any other freedom because it can protect all other freedoms. 'The pen is mightier than the sword' well no, it is not. The sword, wielded by the liberty seeking individual, can cut through many pens, and save many pens. I don't need to keep going. You all know where I stand on this.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:17 PM
Banned

Ok guys, I call Troll. It's been 3 weeks since this o'toole fellow posted the thread, and I was very interested to see what discussions would arise. On his first post o'tool made some bold statements, some concrete promises, and asked for money. Since then not one reply. I'm not sure why someone would start a thread like this unless he was serious, or to gather data, but since mr. toole has not bothered to respond to a single post from any of our members, you have to think it's pure BS. Hope no one got suckered into sending this poser any money.
Worse then not getting my vote oTool, you won't get my money. I hear it's much easier to get cash from the voters down east. Perhaps a religious forum in Quebec?
Old 12-20-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Ok guys, I call Troll. It's been 3 weeks since this o'toole fellow posted the thread, and I was very interested to see what discussions would arise. On his first post o'tool made some bold statements, some concrete promises, and asked for money. Since then not one reply. I'm not sure why someone would start a thread like this unless he was serious, or to gather data, but since mr. toole has not bothered to respond to a single post from any of our members, you have to think it's pure BS. Hope no one got suckered into sending this poser any money.
Worse then not getting my vote oTool, you won't get my money. I hear it's much easier to get cash from the voters down east. Perhaps a religious forum in Quebec?
I don't think he was trolling , there is a thread on CGN as well, but I don't think he was ready for all the rapid fire , off topic questions and accusations that were fired at him.
I get requests for donations from all three parties on my email at home and work all the time, it is normal.
Cat
Old 12-20-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I don't think he was trolling , there is a thread on CGN as well, but I don't think he was ready for all the rapid fire , off topic questions and accusations that were fired at him.
I get requests for donations from all three parties on my email at home and work all the time, it is normal.
Cat
I would doubt that's the case. Most likely lost track of all of the places he posted looking for donations and support.

If it was indeed the questions fired at him that scared him off than I dare say his skin might be a little thin for the political game.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:21 AM
Banned

Ok, Maybe I was too harsh in my critisism of the OP. I have never heard of him and I'm not on any other forums. Just read the OP again, and if he did serve in the military then I suppose he deserves some thanks from the rest of us.
Just seems strange that he hasn't responded. Lets face it, he called us. Never like when someone from back East makes a bunch of promises, then asks for money.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
I would doubt that's the case. Most likely lost track of all of the places he posted looking for donations and support.

If it was indeed the questions fired at him that scared him off than I dare say his skin might be a little thin for the political game.
I don't think he was scared off, probably more like " man, what a bunch of nut bars , they can't even stay on topic!"
Cat