Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-21-2011, 11:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead View Post
Snakeheads are a tropical fish. One step above warm water fish.

STEELHEAD
This report is not exactly from the tropics.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:43 PM

I think we are getting the term non native confused in it's use. Non native to a body of water is an invasive species. But from reading some of the opinions thus far it's being regarded to the province entirely , which isnt even conceivable. How could someone truly believe we can't have a bass fishery in a lake or two the fish exists to the east and west of us just a province over. Heck even a state below. What is the mentality really about ? excluding the species from an entire province and I hate to say it but is it more about stocking more walleye because they are far better eating fish ? It's an interesting discussion and I find it interesting were it has gone lately... As well as the 50/50 split poll a few month back !
Old 09-21-2011, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszomola View Post
I think we are getting the term non native confused in it's use. Non native to a body of water is an invasive species. But from reading some of the opinions thus far it's being regarded to the province entirely , which isnt even conceivable. How could someone truly believe we can't have a bass fishery in a lake or two the fish exists to the east and west of us just a province over. Heck even a state below. What is the mentality really about ? excluding the species from an entire province and I hate to say it but is it more about stocking more walleye because they are far better eating fish ? It's an interesting discussion and I find it interesting were it has gone lately... As well as the 50/50 split poll a few month back !
Some fish have a limited distribution.

The sauger as example. Although it can occur as far north as the NSR, it primarily occurs in the Milk and St. Mary's watershed.

It is a native fish, even though it does not have a broad distribution.

There are no natural occurring bass in Alberta. If they are suppose to be here, they already would be, naturally.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:54 PM

Asain fish are more tropical even bass that have been introduced there in a few lakes just produced the a tie for the world record largemouth at 24 lbs or so . Yet interesting how even there no bucket brigade , no uncontrollable spread of bass ....
Old 09-21-2011, 11:57 PM

If you put sauger in any lake in this province or country you would see no impact , no rapid spread same as a bass , these are north American fish ...

And it's only water specific attributes that mediate the effectiveness of a spawn , proper forage and cover ... This factor to our north American fish variate where they can live but never do they run ramped . And maybe folks don't understand perch as much either but they are a school fish , you catch them in bunches . That's the way they are in any body of water in this country , walleye and pike devour them !
Old 09-21-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

There are no natural occurring bass in Alberta. If they are suppose to be here, they already would be, naturally.
If you want to use that logic then there shouldn't be other species here either and none of those put and take trout fisheries would have anything in them.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
If you want to use that logic then there shouldn't be other species here either and none of those put and take trout fisheries would have anything in them.
Sometimes it seems more about the freezer then "conservation"

Also I think Alberta has tons of walleye , almost too much ! back home we had okay walleye fishing but I never hit the numbers like I do here , yet it's all marked vulnerable , I never understand that ...
Old 09-22-2011, 12:17 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeones View Post
I knew before I posted that any discussion with you in particular, but the self proclaimed all knowing never been wrong in his life sheephunter as well was pointless, that's why I've stayed out of this thread and most threads. I think I'll go back staying out of it.
Do you need a hug waxy?
Old 09-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
I was going to come back with a personal attack seeing you seem to think they are appropriate, but then I remembered that my mom told me when people throw fits and stomp their feet it only means they are showing their frustrations that they don't know how else to communicate them.

So keeping that in mind, I will stay with the topic.

Horsetrader, it is you and others who first referred to how wonderful the bass fishing is in the east and why don't we bring them here. Most who felt that way at one point or the other indicated they were from east of the prairies.

I've fished in Ontario and Quebec. I know how great the fishing is there... much better then here in Alberta.

I've worked with organizations like the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters, and you know what? They are one of the premier conservation groups in the country and do a fantastic job. The AFGA has often partnered with them.

I know what the OFAH viewpoint on introduced and invasive species is and I know it mirrors the comments I made. But then, they are conservationists and understand the issue.

I want my Alberta, with all the challenges our habitat has, to stay as much as possible healthy for our NATIVE populations of fish and wildlife. That precludes experiments that some people like you want to perform.

Your concern appears to be not so much for the native species, but your own selfish desire to fish for species that would be here if they belonged here.
Well Sir I don't know a lot about you but I surely don't see where there was a personal attack put on you. From what i've read Horsetrader was only asking you to do what any self respecting person would do. But that for you to decide.
As far as you working with OFAH its either a big story or you just do care who you bash. I'm thinking if you worked with them like you say you would never had made the remark you did I gather its just showing your disrespect for other people again.

You keep saying that Horsetraders wanting is just a selfish desire well it seems to me he has made a lots of valuable points that you have come up short trying to rebuke. You can keep trying all you want but the consensus is you losing ground with every post. Your constant repeating of your post just shows that you are out of ideas.

You started this post with stating that Horsetrader was frustrated i believe you are right but not for the reasons you suggest I would say he is frustrated over the fact a person would make such a remark and not see how insensitive it is. I truly believe the reason the remark was made was because you were the frustrated one. Now you can take this as a personal attack if you wish I don't really care.

Before i finish just one more thing I would not suggest you plan a trip east for a while.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdoc View Post

You keep saying that Horsetraders wanting is just a selfish desire well it seems to me he has made a lots of valuable points
So tell me which ones exactly are based on conservation and not a desire to have a new fishery in Alberta?

Quote:
Before i finish just one more thing I would not suggest you plan a trip east for a while.

So I guess there goes the idea of a caribou hunt then?
Old 09-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
So tell me which ones exactly are based on conservation and not a desire to have a new fishery in Alberta?

See there is one of your problems out of all that was written you still concentrate on the negative and not everything has to deal with conservation. and you still don't see that you did anything wrong so why waste my time
Old 09-22-2011, 03:30 AM

gay bass are gay.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
It appears that DFO certainly is concerned..

But they are just scientists, right? What would they know!

Just in case you feel they have any veracity, it appears they are saying much of what I an others have tried to put on the table.

Quoting DFO:
"When a new species reaches an ecosystem where it does not occur naturally, many cannot adapt to new surroundings and fail to spread; some disappear entirely.Others, however, can become aggressive aliens in ecosystems that lack the natural checks and balances to control their numbers.These invaders can decimate native plants or animals through predation or competition for food and living space.What remains of the ecosystem can often be quite different, and less productive, than before the arrival of the invader."
Applying the precautionary principle, one does not knowingly introduce new species into an ecosystem, no matter how much "fun they are to catch".

Of course, arm chair fish experts probably know more then those scientists, and what the hey, it might be fun to see how a non-native fish does here.

Hey! It might not do any harm, right? All those "scare mongers" out there could be proven wrong.
Well I asked you for a link that shows what harm snakeheads have done to native Canadian fish and you could not find one. I'm not really surprised.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
gay pickrel are gay.
If you say so
Old 09-22-2011, 08:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
I was going to come back with a personal attack seeing you seem to think they are appropriate, but then I remembered that my mom told me when people throw fits and stomp their feet it only means they are showing their frustrations that they don't know how else to communicate them.

So keeping that in mind, I will stay with the topic.

Horsetrader, it is you and others who first referred to how wonderful the bass fishing is in the east and why don't we bring them here. Most who felt that way at one point or the other indicated they were from east of the prairies.

I've fished in Ontario and Quebec. I know how great the fishing is there... much better then here in Alberta.

I've worked with organizations like the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters, and you know what? They are one of the premier conservation groups in the country and do a fantastic job. The AFGA has often partnered with them.

I know what the OFAH viewpoint on introduced and invasive species is and I know it mirrors the comments I made. But then, they are conservationists and understand the issue.

I want my Alberta, with all the challenges our habitat has, to stay as much as possible healthy for our NATIVE populations of fish and wildlife. That precludes experiments that some people like you want to perform.

Your concern appears to be not so much for the native species, but your own selfish desire to fish for species that would be here if they belonged here.
HAHAHA your mouth just keeps on rambling can't see anglers and hunters working with you but thats ok what ever gets you through. you have made no impact with any of your posts yet can't see that changing so all I can say is thanks for playing.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Banned

Hey Chubb I told you guys I could drag this fool along for more then 15 pages a new record.hahahahahahahahaaah.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Do you need a hug waxy?
I knew you'd have to have the last word, see the part of my post that you quoted for how I knew that, but ????????????
Old 09-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Hey Chubb I told you guys I could drag this fool along for more then 15 pages a new record.hahahahahahahahaaah.
Well played.....well played.....
Old 09-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo2 View Post
Well played.....well played.....
It is a talent........thankyou.............lol
Old 09-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
never seen it coming played the game well and won the bass battle ...on top.

lololol ..... I'm impressed....lol
Old 09-22-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:

You stand no chance against Horsetrader hes to smart for you
Old 09-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdoc View Post
never seen it coming played the game well and won the bass battle ...on top.

lololol ..... I'm impressed....lol
I just wonder why a Charlie Sheen comment came to mind?

As in ,"winnnninnng".

In his own mind of course.

See any similarities with the self congratulations?
Old 09-22-2011, 03:46 PM

neither has "won" or "lost"...... horsetrader has succeeded in leting people know that he wishes to have bass in put and take lakes no matter the costs or possible consequences........ avb has succeded in letting people know that he wishes bass are not brought in for put and take because of costs and possible consequences..... boys, they have been beeting a dead horse with a stick after the first TWO pages. mighty entertaining though!
Old 09-22-2011, 04:00 PM

I've learned alot.....mostly Fear.....is Chucky real too?
Old 09-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
I just wonder why a Charlie Sheen comment came to mind?

As in ,"winnnninnng".

In his own mind of course.

See any similarities with the self congratulations?
You don't have to get ****y cause you've been played better people much better people then you have been played.And you don't have to slap your face anymore it happens.......
Old 09-23-2011, 04:12 AM
Banned

Pow Pow.. Bass booo yea.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Banned

Well i searched all the threads for bass...

This thread is Number 1.
When it comes to thread count and views.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:09 AM

snakeheads taste better than bass....
Old 02-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
snakeheads taste better than bass....
I have a snake head in my fish tank, Would you like it... Its huge! 4 lbs. you can have for free.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:02 PM

Stock anything but Smallmouth!!!!!! They take over almost any lake they get a start in and they fallow the same pattern you start with a few then in 10 years the fishing is really good with lots in the 3+ pound range then within the next few years because nobody keeps them the size starts to shrink and you catch twice as many. Again nobody keeps them and BAM the lake is full of 12 inch peckers that have eaten everything in site and no walleye, trout, and the pike start to loose ground as well. BAD idea. seen it happen in about 50 lakes in northwest ontario. Don't think that a lake like cold is any different smallies can live in 60 feet no problem and will be competing for food and eating trout fry. DON"T DO IT EVER!!!