Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Bullfighter Bullfighter is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 24
Default Bow River Nymphing with Straight Mono/Fluoro

Can anyone share their success or comment on nymphing with straight mono and/or fluoro directly from the fly line? I've heard the comment that a tapered leader in the heavy top end can drag and resist the nymphing flies from getting to the bottom. If using straight line directly from fly line, is it much harder to turnover the cast?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-23-2012, 09:02 PM
sraak sraak is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 33
Default

My limited experience with this is that proper casting is tricky but lobbing the nymph back upstream (using current to load the rod) is fine. It's also way cheaper.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-23-2012, 09:17 PM
goldscud goldscud is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,331
Default

You could just use about 3ft of 20lb mono off the flyline and then add on whatever you like below that. Should help turn it over.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Bhflyfisher Bhflyfisher is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,142
Default

Take 5-6' 15lb maxima ultragreen to a swivel (any size you want), then run 3-4 feet of whatever 8lb fluoro tippet/line you want. Its not so much tapered, and gets the job done. Pretty easy to build too.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-23-2012, 09:18 PM
bobalong's Avatar
bobalong bobalong is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfighter View Post
Can anyone share their success or comment on nymphing with straight mono and/or fluoro directly from the fly line? I've heard the comment that a tapered leader in the heavy top end can drag and resist the nymphing flies from getting to the bottom. If using straight line directly from fly line, is it much harder to turnover the cast?
I would stick with the tapered leader, IMO they turn over much better. Use a bit of weight, longer leader or weighted nymphs if you don't think your nymphs are getting down.
__________________
If I am lucky enough to live at the lake one day, that's lucky enough.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-23-2012, 09:51 PM
wildcat111 wildcat111 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 704
Default

i break my taper leader off about half way up and use regular line instead of tippet, i almost always outfish everyone that goes with me on the bow, have always fished this way and always catch fish, i use a 6 lb triline, i tryed 4lbs but it stretches to much after a fish and needs replacing, 6 lb works awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-24-2012, 06:35 AM
Lornce's Avatar
Lornce Lornce is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat111 View Post
i break my taper leader off about half way up and use regular line instead of tippet, i almost always outfish everyone that goes with me on the bow, have always fished this way and always catch fish, i use a 6 lb triline, i tryed 4lbs but it stretches to much after a fish and needs replacing, 6 lb works awesome.
For nymphing I use the same kind of setup. Tapered leader that I cut off about at about the 6lb diameter which is on my tapered about 2/3 of the way down then use a swivel there. Tie on 6lb test and you can them do your nymph rig. Swivel acts as a bit of weight and cuts tangles.
__________________
Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten,
but never, with a fly rod in my hand have I been in a place that was less than beautiful.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-24-2012, 07:19 AM
Scott N's Avatar
Scott N Scott N is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,152
Default

Learniong how to properly mend my line was something that really helped me ensure my nymphs were on the bottom of the Bow. How's your mending technique Bullfighter?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-24-2012, 08:23 AM
Flyrod1970 Flyrod1970 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
for nymphing i use the same kind of setup. Tapered leader that i cut off about at about the 6lb diameter which is on my tapered about 2/3 of the way down then use a swivel there. Tie on 6lb test and you can them do your nymph rig. Swivel acts as a bit of weight and cuts tangles
X2
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-01-2012, 06:20 PM
greylynx greylynx is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,087
Default

I use the same system in lakes out of a pontoon boat

A super fast sinker is at the begining of the system to adjust to variable depth.

Your fingers will do the walking.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Daceminnow's Avatar
Daceminnow Daceminnow is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Take 5-6' 15lb maxima ultragreen to a swivel (any size you want), then run 3-4 feet of whatever 8lb fluoro tippet/line you want. Its not so much tapered, and gets the job done. Pretty easy to build too.
I run something similar. 12lb floro to my swivel and 8lb below to my largest bug and between my next two flys. don't be afraid to run heavier line and lots of weight on the bow. get down where the big fish lay and keep them buttoned once you've hooked em. i have posted this link before and would consider it to be helpful.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=cyGWL...53DcyGWLjBNr_c


Dace
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Jayhad Jayhad is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
I run something similar. 12lb floro to my swivel and 8lb below to my largest bug and between my next two flys. don't be afraid to run heavier line and lots of weight on the bow. get down where the big fish lay and keep them buttoned once you've hooked em. i have posted this link before and would consider it to be helpful.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=cyGWL...53DcyGWLjBNr_c


Dace
I agree, great set up. One small difference that will pay out for seasons is if you have a factory loop on your fly line, use either a tapered leader or heavy (25+lb) mono/floro to your swivle, smaller diameter lines will cut your loop sooner making the tip of your fly line sink when it gets water logged.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.