Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-10-2018, 01:47 PM
Banned

Question Possible 6.5 CM conversion on this new Tikka?

http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-arctic

Read some good stuff about the tikka ctr 6.5 cm and sort of like the idea of the 10 round bottom metal set-ups but thinking stainless and a bit more hunt oriented version with nicer stock might not be a bad option?

Chuck just put together a nice 10 round cm set up for multi-purpose duty and thinking along those lines for a build for some time.

Just saw this tikka which only comes in .308, things i liked was the ctr bottom metal/10 round...always a bonus over the standard tikka plastic bottom fair. Also the mid size bolt knob, not the super round tactical knob but not the skinny standard knob either. Stainless. Nicer stock.

Thinking they should have released a second version in 6.5 CM for those looking for hybrid range/hunt configurations, no sights and 24" barrel. (might steal some sales from the sako a7 roughtech pro though?)

That sucker with a 24" proof carbon barrel in 6.5 cm might be a dandy.

Anyone else have thoughts about similar hunter/range hybrid 10 round 6.5 CM builds? and what other options out there that i'm missing?
Old 07-10-2018, 04:03 PM
Banned

If 5 shots isn’t enough to put it down before it makes it to the bush I would suggest a different caliber
Old 07-10-2018, 05:20 PM

Criss at MCRS Tactical can make you a stock like that.

You can pick the grain of wood and colors you'ld like.

Let him know what action and barrel you have as he can cut the action and channel to near perfect.

You will need to do the final fit.

Criss has some pretty fancy woods to choose from with endless colors to select.

PS: he makes them in his Calgary shop
Old 07-10-2018, 08:03 PM

Default T3x CTR

Just buy the CTR version for 1500 it has the same bottom metal and same magazine. Its what I do. You can get one in 6.5 Creed or 308. Shoot it out then get a custom barrel in any cartridge you want (260 6.5x47 6 BR ect )

Plus there are a ton of Stock makers that do inlets for Tikka T3 and the CTR as well. (for the bottom metal action is the same)

I went with a Canadian Company MDT (love it) but there are lots of choices. I know Manners and McMillian have Tikka stocks.

I also have a T3 in a GRS Hybrid. That is lamminate like the one you posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 308 mdt front.JPG (81.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 6.5 side.jpg (31.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 07-11-2018, 07:09 AM
Banned

Good info, thanks, and nice rigs Mark!

I have two mdt lss chassis for other projects but was thinking something that wasn't just precision oriented, not just hunt oriented, but a blend of both. So that's going to rule out the chassis and fully adjustable target stocks. Also thinking stainless be preferred when possible and if looking at Tikka this would be the platform to consider? Something you could possibly go do one of those shoots where the mag capacity would help keep up and also if you just don't want the tikka plastic mags but love lots about the platform otherwise. And the ctr stock...while tough and i'm sure works great...i have come back around on that synthetic vs wood thing for the most part. Agreed you don't need but a few rounds magazine capacity for hunting. My primary hunting rifle is a blaser k95 single shot so i'm good with that principle.

Also like the mid size bolt handle on that one too vs the small sporter or the super large tactical ball.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
If 5 shots isn’t enough to put it down before it makes it to the bush I would suggest a different caliber
lol, c'mon, you don't believe in spray and pray?

joking aside, it's just a want, i've got stuff to fill other gaps, think it might be fun to have a hybrid you could hit up one of those shoots and put yourself under pressure in various positions etc....but maybe never would? Still sort of want a build like that

if Chucks recent project was right handed i might be trying to talk him out of it but may copy it anyway
Old 07-11-2018, 07:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post

Plus there are a ton of Stock makers that do inlets for Tikka T3 and the CTR as well. (for the bottom metal action is the same)
Can you swap the ctr bottom right into any other t3x?
Old 07-11-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Can you swap the ctr bottom right into any other t3x?

the CTR magazine is double stack and the regular T3 series are single stack, so it is a no go.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:31 AM

Yes, my Remmy LR will be a copy-cat Remmy M-40 tactical when I'm done.

Most likely a 23 1/2" heavy barrel with a Wild-Cat Var-Tech pistol grip Composite stock.

I'm keeping the factoy Bell-Carlson stock for plinking.

I'm sure that I'll get Chriss to make me a back up 3 stock of laminated Birds Eye Maple.

It's all in the eye of the beholder fore sure. Ha

The mix of quality wood and iron makes for a nice package.

Thx for the awesome thread SC. Custom builds rock.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:51 AM
Banned

i like this virtual shopping lots too, nice to see others recent builds too, post em up yo

also have a bone for rigs like this rem custom shop job...

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...hunting-rifle/

and this bad boy from proof...

https://www.proofresearch.com/rifle-...opt=optics-rep

not cheap and i have my blaser k95 which shoots lights out, is lightweight, and also fully takedown so my mountain rig is covered, still appreciate those builds regardless of weight...

i think for volume shooting the carbon barrel with 10 round mag and some weight in the rifle would be a good combo so that's where i'm leaning for gap filler for me...something that can hunt will be a priority also

so you can see my draw to that laminate stock t3x with the 10 round bottom and just fit a sendero contour proof carbon 24" 6.5 CM barrel to it...keeps the weight up, carbon for the cooling advantage, not the weight savings....so would be similar to those ultralight builds but added weight in stock and bottom metal, heavier scope to stretch things out and play in volume at distance and watch those impacts, keep shootability up.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 07-11-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:29 AM

My rifle carries a 5rnd mag.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-11-2018, 10:34 AM
Banned

aics style though?

i googled atlas works...yes, so you can run 10's if you wanted, your rifle would cross over to the long steel work and hunt nearly ideal, nice build! perfect cartridge choice for that hybrid work too
Old 07-11-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
aics style though?

i googled atlas works...yes, so you can run 10's if you wanted, your rifle would cross over to the long steel work and hunt nearly ideal, nice build! perfect cartridge choice for that hybrid work too
Yes they are AICS and I can run 10’s

-Billy Molls
Old 07-11-2018, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
the CTR magazine is double stack and the regular T3 series are single stack, so it is a no go.
this is what i naturally assumed, i've had t3's before and assume the inletting and bottom metal must be different.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:20 PM

Default Not so fast

I would not disqualify the CTR in an MDT chassis so fast. The 308 has a 20" barrel and is doable (reasonable weight). I have a QD sling and it attaches very nicely, and it sits comfortably in front of the shooter. In fact I like carrying my rifle that way instead of slung over my shoulder. So do alot of military and police officers.

You can have the best of both worlds, a target rifle that is super comfortable and accurate and a useable hunting rifle.

As other wise people on this forum have said "your mileage may very"
Old 07-11-2018, 08:26 PM

Default Yes and no

Quote:
this is what i naturally assumed, i've had t3's before and assume the inletting and bottom metal must be different.
It depends on how the stock is inleted and what bottom metal, but the actions are identical and interchangeable. For Example you can take a T3Xi Ctr or Plain T3 and drop it into the same MDT chassis.

I sold my CTR Stock bottom metal and magazine to a guy who dropped his regular T3 into it. I didnt need it anymore because i use the Chassis.

If you have a T3 action kicking around maybe you can find a CTR stock for sale on this or some other forum. That way you have a light rifle and a better magazine.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:40 PM

This is my custom Vartec stock with the drop down pistol grip.

https://goo.gl/images/BCuxCX

2.1 lbs with fill in for a Remmy Long Action.

A bit pricey, but the reviews are awesome since Stewart adds an aluminum shank up threw the fore end.

Made in Alberta to.

And you can choose the color or design that works for you.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:49 AM
Banned

good option!