Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-15-2016, 12:13 PM

I know you guys think I'm crazy and I probably am. Sometimes the best lessons are learned the hard way. Remember though that my snares will easily pull off the pole when a catch is made allowing the beaver to go down the pole.

Bill I'd haul cardboard before I hauled plywood.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
This is what I'm talking about Waterninja. Thanks to Boco!

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...ce#Post4369941
Thanks for that link.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:22 PM

Couldn't help myself and checked the snare poll I set yesterday, bottom two snares on the bottom were pulled tight, no beaver.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsask View Post
Couldn't help myself and checked the snare poll I set yesterday, bottom two snares on the bottom were pulled tight, no beaver.
That's too bad! I'm itching to check mine as well but I'm trying to resist!

What type of cable are you using?
Old 02-15-2016, 02:15 PM

It was on the way to my coyote snares so I checked. I'm using the same as Ryan the deer break aways for the ram power snares.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:28 PM
Banned

A few pictures from today. This is the lodge that I'm starting at. If you look carefully you can see my blue and yellow work glove hanging on a branch on top of the lodge. It puts it into perspective as to how huge that thing is.

TFNG, using the tip of the chainsaw bar instead of the auger was a much better idea, thanks. The main run where the branch is sticking out of the ice in the middle of the picture was easy to find, the ax when through just tapping on the ice, but the slough is really shallow and there's only about 1' of water under the ice right out to the shovel. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for but I found deeper water to the right and left of the feed bed. I'll have a better look when I put a couple of feedpoles in.

Breather hole on the edge of the reeds on the main run to and from the feed bed.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:34 PM

I set up another house today.

Two snare poles and one conibear in the entrance.

The dog is quite interested in the lodge entrances, she was sniffing around there before I drove my spud through. It was a gusher, lots of stinky air rushing out when I broke it. Fairly shallow so I made an a frame and set a conibear near bottom.

I couldn't resist checking the house I set yesterday. I got one good sized beaver in the entrance.

I also lined up permission on three more places today. I'll set those later in the week.

Last edited by Tfng; 02-15-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:48 PM

Sweet TFNG! I have been wanting to do some beaver trapping, this is a great thread! Keep posting pictures guys!

Nick
Old 02-15-2016, 07:50 PM
Banned

No I did not recommend Camlocks. I said to use ADAMS locks , cheaper and will hold any Beaver you ever trap under the ice , But its your choice your money ! And for checking snares under ice I use a small one inch diameter stick and poke down around the snare pole , IF you have a beaver you will feel it and not spring your snares. Same in a 330 set If you have an animal same technique , feel crossways in front and behind your trap , so you don,t fire it if empty .
As for retrieving the beaver when frozen in , you have to get the idea just where the animal is frozen in as far as direction , begin at the anchor pole and work outwards , .
Old 02-15-2016, 08:22 PM

Begin at the anchor pole and work outwards. So obvious but I probably wouldn't have done that. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2016, 08:48 PM

Dave I'd be tempted to set a few conibears in that long shallow run. I'm not sure if the beaver would freeze in though? It's obviously heavily travelled.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Dave I'd be tempted to set a few conibears in that long shallow run. I'm not sure if the beaver would freeze in though? It's obviously heavily travelled.
I was thinking that but I was concerned that I might mess things up by making the beaver trap shy or something. I'm pretty darned sure that I'd catch something in there that way but that was what I was thinking. What do you think about it? No worries about the Beavers freezing in I don't think, my ax went through the ice just tapping on it.....it's thin rotten ice.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I was thinking that but I was concerned that I might mess things up by making the beaver trap shy or something. I'm pretty darned sure that I'd catch something in there that way but that was what I was thinking. What do you think about it? No worries about the Beavers freezing in I don't think, my ax went through the ice just tapping on it.....it's thin rotten ice.
I'm not sure what to believe. If you set it, set lots I think. I was told to stay away from the entrance until you've already caught a couple by the feed pile also.

There's guys that set it right away and do well too. Lots of beaver out there if you spook them move on.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:35 PM

Great catch. I might have to try setting the entrance after looking at your guys pics.going to be cold here tomorrow so check/set more on Wednesday Thursday.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:44 PM

Good luck! I'll be back at it Friday.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:00 AM
Banned

TFNG
I get a kick out of reading your post fellows, I can tell you are really enjoying what you do! LOL . Its a lot of work for small pay but it,s the challenge of finding the sweet spots and having a BINGO moment!
I have been doing this for many years and still get a bit of a kick out of pulling a beaver out from under the ice. In open water not so much but still it,s a good pastime .Good going guys !
Old 02-16-2016, 10:40 AM

Ok I'll chime in, some constructive criticism I guess.

TFNG, your slot I am guess was to find the run. Where your pole is inserted, it is to narrow, you will never get an adult out without having to cut a bigger hole. Also, always use a cross pole on any set for beaver, and never "green" wood for the cross pole. I have had them come out and eat the cross pole before in late spring.

Dave, I would not recommend using camlocks at all. Camlocks will fire to fast, and fall just by the wake a beaver make swimming by. Adams locks are far superior IMO. 5ft is WAY too long for a beaver snare. It should make a 10-12" loop, or even a little bigger, with the lock right against the pole (Like TFNG showed). With a long snare a beaver WILL float up and freeze to the bottom side of the ice, especially in shallow water like you are trapping in. When this happens, it sucks real bad...real bad. I start this week now that Lynx is done, Otter sets already soaking.

Spruce
Old 02-16-2016, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm glad you're enjoying following along.

Spruce I thought I would get away with a green cross pole since the hole isn't big enough for them to come out. I'll change that up.

I sure am taking a lot of heat on those narrow slots. I'm just copying the way Rally Hess does it. I might make my next sets with bigger holes before I get too many in though.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:14 PM
Banned

Thanks Larry, I was hoping that you'd drop in. Yes, I've changed my plans considerably since I first posted and I'm going with a set like what TFNG posted. Initially I just went with what was in Ryan's video but to me it just seems like a lot of snare/wire for nothing. This being my first time going after beaver under ice, things will constantly be evolving as I go. I'm heading out to pull some snares in a bit and put in a couple feed poles/snares for beaver. Pictures to be posted later.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
I sure am taking a lot of heat on those narrow slots. I'm just copying the way Rally Hess does it. I might make my next sets with bigger holes before I get too many in though.
It'll take catching one to really know how they work out. I'm curious to know how it does.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
It'll take catching one to really know how they work out. I'm curious to know how it does.
I pm'd Rally Hess for a little further insight, maybe he'll shed more light on his theory. It's a lot less work on a pole that doesn't catch a beaver that's for sure.

Very fast to set up as well.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:45 PM

Suspended 330 with green plastic leaves on the trigger!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (27.0 KB, 73 views)

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 02-16-2016, 12:51 PM

"TFNG" all you need for an effective under ice beaver snare is an adams lock, 42 " of 1/16 cable, a couple of ferrules and 14" or so of 14 ga wire as a pigtail for tying the snare to your pole.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
"TFNG" all you need for an effective under ice beaver snare is an adams lock, 42 " of 1/16 cable, a couple of ferrules and 14" or so of 14 ga wire as a pigtail for tying the snare to your pole.
Bingo. I use the same minus the pigtail, though that would work good on a dry pole for sure. Cheap and quick, the successful trappers moto!

Spruce
Old 02-16-2016, 01:52 PM

Double post.

Last edited by Tfng; 02-16-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:54 PM

I bought a dozen of 3 different types of locks to try. Micro, Adams and Kieper. The Adams lock is up next!

Tomcat uses a dry pole to secure his snares to by the looks of it. What are you using for a snare support since you're not using a pigtail Spruce? A chunk of wire off the pole I assume.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:13 PM

Just some wire as stated. I will post a few pics of sets this week/weekend if I remember. Time to start going hard, Beaver will be fully prime now. Hope my saw likes ice again this year! I like to run conni's first, then snares if it is a colony cleanout. Beavers get smart fast, don't show then all your tricks on the first day. If just taking a few, either method works fine, conni's are a lot faster to set, and a lot less timber required.

Spruce
Old 02-16-2016, 02:32 PM

Sometimes I hate posting replies because it seems argumentative to people offering hard earned experience. That's not the case, I do like to discuss things though.

Those spikes I'm using are very convenient and really not terribly expensive. It takes more time in the shop building them but it's warm in there and can be done at night or in the off season.

I may look into using tubing to secure the nail on the snare which would eliminate the 1/8 ferrule but still hold the nail in the right spot to achieve the desired loop size.

I'm confident that I could set my fourth ever snare pole and be waiting in the truck while you're still cutting wire. It's that easy.

If you guys are using 1/16 1x19 you're missing beaver by not catching extremities as efficiently as a 7x7 it's as simple as that in my mind.

Once again thanks for the suggestions, maybe I'm making a mistake not listening in which case you guys will get the last laugh and I'll save someone else the hassle of trying this method.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:35 PM

Spruce you're right about the coni's, I'm wishing I owned more than a half dozen right now. I don't have any places where removing all the beaver is required, I just want a couple from each spot.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Sometimes I hate posting replies because it seems argumentative to people offering hard earned experience. That's not the case, I do like to discuss things though.

Those spikes I'm using are very convenient and really not terribly expensive. It takes more time in the shop building them but it's warm in there and can be done at night or in the off season.

I may look into using tubing to secure the nail on the snare which would eliminate the 1/8 ferrule but still hold the nail in the right spot to achieve the desired loop size.

I'm confident that I could set my fourth ever snare pole and be waiting in the truck while you're still cutting wire. It's that easy.

If you guys are using 1/16 1x19 you're missing beaver by not catching extremities as efficiently as a 7x7 it's as simple as that in my mind.

Once again thanks for the suggestions, maybe I'm making a mistake not listening in which case you guys will get the last laugh and I'll save someone else the hassle of trying this method.
Its what works for you, I use 1x19 with a cam lock I have pulled out a few hundred beaver this way.