Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-06-2018, 05:24 PM

Default Reloading newbie. Velocity question

First time reloading, first time using a chrono. 300 savage lever hunting rifle. Factory ammo the one choice i have left is 55 dollars a box so i took up reloading.

Factory rem 150 corelokts group fairly well. Velocity spread 5 shots was 130fps 2508-2638.

125gr ballistic tips with starting charge was 2618-2658 over 5 shots. Grouping was about same.

125gr ballistic tip at 2gr under max load. 2844-2885. Group was same.

Can i assume because the velocity spread on my reloads was quite a bit less than factory loads will i find a slightly more accurate charge weight in between.
I only experimented with 42.5gr and 45.5gr as these were my first reloads. Can i assume my technique was decent based on the velocity being close. This rifle there is no seating the bullet out farther etc. So its strictly powder and different bullet types to play with.

I did recently buy a more modern bolt rifle that id like to play with once get the hang of reloading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2018, 06:42 PM

the more consistency from one cartridge to the next, in powder charge, OAL, brass dimensions, and everything else you can think of, the more accurate your loads will be.

so in theory, yes they should be more accurate based on that one factor alone, but there are other factors

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 07-06-2018, 08:42 PM

Forget Remington bullets.

Speer makes a 145 gr. spitzer IMHO is the best bullet for the .300 Savage. Velocity is not your friend in the .300
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:17 PM

Keep trying you’ll find a good load, google some load development techniques that can help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2018, 08:28 AM

So first off, I presume you are loading for a Savage 99. If so, do not try to load it hot. If you stick a case in one of them it will be VERY expensive to get it out.

Second, you velocity and spreads I would say you have a good technique going. 125 grain bullets, unless they are Barnes, are a poor choice for the 300 Savage. Stick to 140-160 with cup and core bullets.

Savage 99 is a good lever gun, and it shoots spritzers, but if you can get a three shot group to be 1 to 1/2 MOA, particularity in a takedown, you are getting really good accuracy for that platform. The odd one will shoot clover leafs but they have usually been professionally re barreled.